Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Motor home insurance

• 20-06-2011 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi All,

Does anybody know anywhere that does a breakdown service in France for an 1997 motorhome. Any where I tried say they don't insurance a van of that vintage. Seems to me its a win win situation for then if they only are willing to insure newer vans.

I know this has been asked before I have searched the forums and cant find a solution.

Thanks in advance

Micko:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

micko38 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Does anybody know anywhere that does a breakdown service in France for an 1997 motorhome. Any where I tried say they don't insurance a van of that vintage. Seems to me its a win win situation for then if they only are willing to insure newer vans.

I know this has been asked before I have searched the forums and cant find a solution.

Thanks in advance

Micko:
    It comes a standard on Dolmen insurance check with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

Try ADAC.de we got cover for a 2000 van. Search for adac on the forum. There was a recent thread which gave a telephone number. Cost is about 80 for the year. Not sure if they have a max age though.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055570425

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

My neighbour was convinced that adac would repatriate his vehicle no questions asked if it could not be repaired. Too good to be true for 80 euro. Be aware that adac are entitled to offer the scrap value of your vehicle if recovery costs are greater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

a bigger problem I've encountered is that some companies don't offer a service for vehicles over 3 tonne... best to check!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

Just for clarification. The policy I have states:

"and for motorhomes listed on the registration certificate up to a width of 3.2m and up to a gross weight of 7.5t. All dimensions indicated are inclusive of the load."

But as suggested above, satisfy yourself that any policy you get is suitable in your own opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Germar

It comes a standard on Dolmen insurance check with them.

Hi there

As you can see I am not a great one for posting but I thought I would let you know that even though you are covered for breakdown with your Dolmen policy. You are not be covered for the French Toll Roads. The reason I am saying this because we broke down a few years back (appr 3-4) on a toll road: rang the number in the Dolmen documents to be told we would have to contact the French Police as they are the only ones that can get you towed/recovered off Tolled Roads at your expense. Needless to say we were very p'ed off about this, as this was not mentioned in the Dolmen book. After a lot of phone calls we were brought to a garage for repairs and did not pay any towing charges.
    Don't know if it mentioned in the Dolmen book now as we no longer own a motorhome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Germar wrote: »
    Hi there

As you can see I am not a great one for posting but I thought I would let you know that even though you are covered for breakdown with your Dolmen policy. You are not be covered for the French Toll Roads. The reason I am saying this because we broke down a few years back (appr 3-4) on a toll road: rang the number in the Dolmen documents to be told we would have to contact the French Police as they are the only ones that can get you towed/recovered off Tolled Roads at your expense. Needless to say we were very p'ed off about this, as this was not mentioned in the Dolmen book. After a lot of phone calls we were brought to a garage for repairs and did not pay any towing charges.
    Don't know if it mentioned in the Dolmen book now as we no longer own a motorhome.
    It is mentioned now just got renewal paper work. I quired open drive with them and got a snotty response - basically if you have open drive make sure the other driver has no point or claims.

Advertisement