Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc Digital Investigation & Forensic Computing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 charcoal blue

Hi

Yeh I thought that at first looking at the modules straight off too but the MSc Digital Investigation & Forensic Computing requires a comp science or equivalent degree and the one solely for law enforcement doesn't. I'm guessing the one for law enforcement covers more of what people doing the other MSc would already be expected to know...but could be wrong!

Have applied for the MSc Digital Investigation & Forensic Computing -would be great to hear from anyone who's done the course and how they found it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Hi,

I am currently doing the MSc Computer Science (Negotiated Learning) and am taking some of the Digital Investigations modules.

The modules are focused more on what you would find in a corporate enviroment so the mainly based on Windows Operating System. Some Linux Forensics and a good bit of Live Forensics is covered in the Application Forensics/Forensics Foundations Module. The linux stuff covered in the Cybercrime MSc is basic Linux that you would really be expected to have picked up during your primary degree. To be honest there is not a heavy Linux element in the Digital Investigations course you will mainly be using Windows OS and Windows Based Forensic tools like XWays/EnCase etc (although you are free to use linux and linux tools too).

There is no scripting in the course but there is some Pen Testing in the Information Security Module. It is half Procedural (Info Sec MGMT) and half Pen Testing.

I really enjoyed the 3 modules that i took this year, very well ran and very practical. The modules are also available to be taken online if you are far away/cant make a lecture etc which is a major bonus.

There is no programming involved but you would want to know your way around computer systems and have a Comp Sci (or Equiv) degree otherwise you might find it quite difficult.

Any questions feel free to ask and ill answer as best i can.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 charcoal blue

Thanks for the reply, sounds pretty good all right. Didn't realise the negotiated learning modules were available online too...handy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Some modules from the Comp Science NL are available online but not many.

The Digital Investigation modules tend to all be recorded/online.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭CFC1969

Thanks for the details Lads,

Just seemed the cybercrime MsC has more content than digital forensics, and was wondering what differences were in the paths, and why ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Darith

What are the job outlook from the above courses?

Advertisement