Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd hand bookshops

Options
  • 20-06-2011 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭

anyone know any "off the beaten path" shops like these, not exclusively in the city centre... any quirky shops that sell old books and maybe postcards... i'm on the lookout for some unusual or quirky old postcards as well as books..
    thanks in advance for your help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

The obvious one is Chapters on Parnell St.
    The Secret Book and Record store on Wicklow St.

Oh and there is another one at the top of Parnell St (Capel St end) but can't remember the name unfortunately

Can't really think of anymore around Dublin apart from the little book market in Temple Bar the weekends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

SteoL wrote: »
    The obvious one is Chapters on Parnell St.
    The Secret Book and Record store on Wicklow St.

Oh and there is another one at the top of Parnell St (Capel St end) but can't remember the name unfortunately

Can't really think of anymore around Dublin apart from the little book market in Temple Bar the weekends

The book shop on Mid Abbey Street across from the side of Easons can throw up the odd gem. Don't know its name.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    The book shop on Mid Abbey Street across from the side of Easons can throw up the odd gem. Don't know its name.

Oh I know that one too. Never bought anything in it though (I find the way the shelves are stocked make it too difficult for browsing). Don't know the name either unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

Past Times on Wicklow Street have a small selection of cards (not sure if they have any postcards though). Its worth a look.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Is the one opposite the George on Georges St a second hand shop?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Is the one opposite the George on Georges St a second hand shop?

It's new, but 'remaindered'. So, all the stuff bookshops couldn't sell, they send back to a company and a shop buys the books by the crate load (or warehouse load). They get them at incredible discounts, but get a lot of crap mixed in with some good stuff. Chapters do this, but seem to have much better selection than those new second-hand bookshops that have sprung up around town. I read somewhere a theory that they're all run by the same person.

There's a couple of nice second-hand bookshops in the George's St Arcade. One is more popular, that's on the main route, but on the other route there's a more 'literary' one which is quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭anndub

Corsendonk wrote: »

Pretty sure it's called Bookworms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

thanks folks.. this is a good start... I'll take a look around those ones... I'm kinda lookin for the Charlie Byrne's of bookshops though.. if ya get what i mean.. one that's been there for years run by an old man or something like that... a bookshop with its own story to tell as well as those in the books on its shelves. It's kind of a romantic notion i guess.. but I'm sure there has to be one or two such shops around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Isn't there a lad also in the George's Street Arcade who sells postcards and the like?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

It's new, but 'remaindered'. So, all the stuff bookshops couldn't sell, they send back to a company and a shop buys the books by the crate load (or warehouse load). They get them at incredible discounts, but get a lot of crap mixed in with some good stuff. Chapters do this, but seem to have much better selection than those new second-hand bookshops that have sprung up around town. I read somewhere a theory that they're all run by the same person.

Easons use to have a shop on middle abbey that did the same. Often when you picked up a book it had the old price sticker from shops down the country. It use to be a great place to pick up cheap cooking books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

As far as i know there is a second hand book shop on talbot st.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 fraggle1

There's a great little bookshop on Talbot Street opposite Supervalu. I'm sorry the name escapes me at the moment. It's got a great selection of old books and its run by a very pleasant elderly gentleman. He sells old records as well. I've found some fabulous books in there and they are very reasonably priced as well.:D

thanks folks.. this is a good start... I'll take a look around those ones... I'm kinda lookin for the Charlie Byrne's of bookshops though.. if ya get what i mean.. one that's been there for years run by an old man or something like that... a bookshop with its own story to tell as well as those in the books on its shelves. It's kind of a romantic notion i guess.. but I'm sure there has to be one or two such shops around the place.

Well the one I mentioned that is on Parnell Street (Capel St end) would certainly have that feel about it. Trouble is, it's been years since I went in there so haven't a clue if it still open. Nice old man who ran it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kingredness

The one on Parnell street near Capel street would definitely fit that description, and I'm 99% sure its still open. Cant' remember the name of it though. It's just after the antique shops near the corner of Parnell St, Capel St. You can't miss it.

fraggle1 wrote: »
    There's a great little bookshop on Talbot Street opposite Supervalu. I'm sorry the name escapes me at the moment. It's got a great selection of old books and its run by a very pleasant elderly gentleman. He sells old records as well. I've found some fabulous books in there and they are very reasonably priced as well.:D

+1 for this one, can't believe I forgot it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Some of them are run by the guy behind Books Upstairs on College Green.

Anndub is right about the place on Middle Abbey St opposite Easons, it's bookworms.#
    SteoL wrote: »
    Well the one I mentioned that is on Parnell Street (Capel St end) would certainly have that feel about it. Trouble is, it's been years since I went in there so haven't a clue if it still open. Nice old man who ran it.
    It is. Great little place. In particular he seems to always have great books on Irish and Dublin history. Old stuff as well as newer publications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

thanks a mill folks.. very grateful for the info!! keep the suggestions coming if you think of any more! cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Passed a place on fownes st this morning beside the central bank. Sign said they sell second hand books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Hop on the Dart out to Dalkey, to the Exchange Book Shop on Castle Street, then nip next door to Country Bake for some home made fares and tea / coffee. A nice half day out.

http://www.exchangebookshop.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Oxfam Bookshop on Parliament St, opposite the Porterhouse. Books are in categories, which can save time. They have a good CD / DVD selection too. Rare books are in a case, with a price sheet hanging at the side.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement