Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dubstep Dublin and Strangeways, Here We Come

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

DeadlyB wrote: »
    You could say the same about the people on boards.

It seems pretty easy to make fun of something behind a keyboard as you finish off that third bowel of ice cream. But getting off your fat ass and provide a substitute for what your saying i doubt you would succeed.
    It's a club night and there doing well for themselves but but there will allways be haters and jealous twats looking to **** on everything.If you try hard enough you can find a downside to anything but it leaves you a miserable c"nt.

If the music isn't up to your standard then its a clear sign of aging your becoming senile hater.

Okay, let me get this straight, you're saying if the music isn't up to my standard then it's a clear sign I'm aging. Does that mean if you're younger you'll happily listen to any old sh¡te? Now I didn't think the appreciation of good music was predicated on age but maybe you'll prove me wrong.

And less of the haters bullsh¡t please. You're not some gangsta from Compton, you're most likely a middle class white kid from Limerick whose appropriation of hip hop phraseology makes him look like a complete tool. Here's a lesson for you, if a person says some critical things about a night you run or a dj you like it doesn't make them a hater, it makes them someone with critical faculties with the ability to voice their opinion. Dismissing someone who criticises you as a hater makes you look like a simpleton who hasn't the ability to get involved with logic discussion and debate.

Now if you're going to label me an ice-cream eating, masturbating keyboard warrior I'm going to label you as one of those adolescent little ballbags with the sh¡tty piercings and crappy tattoos who really wants to be able to listen to rap metal but doesn't want to look uncool so he picks the only other lumpen music genre he knows that is as devoid of subtlety and groove which is powertool brostep.

Now if the first poster didn't start the thread with a load of impassioned bollocks about a night no one here cared about no one would have bothered pulling the piss out of you. Lesson? Sometimes it's just better to shut the fúck up and say nothing…

• Registered Users Posts: 6 _fact_

I'm going to label you as one of those adolescent little ballbags with the sh¡tty piercings and crappy tattoos who really wants to be able to listen to rap metal but doesn't want to look uncool so he picks the only other lumpen music genre he knows that is as devoid of subtlety and groove which is powertool brostep.

never have a come across a more apt and fitting description.
    fair play been looking for one for ages, guarantee you 90% of these people have a black Linkin Park or Korn hoody at home.and rebelled when younger against school by getting piercings and dying their hair,what lunatics :)

like the music but the clienté at those gigs,state of ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Now if you're going to label me an ice-cream eating, masturbating keyboard warrior
    with 3 bowels

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Didn't think people cared so much about student documentary's i suppose you all expect professional scripting and hard facts.Anytime someone has to be interviewed they usually panic cause they dont know what to say so they just bull**** same way all you people are just spouting bull**** here. So an amateur documentary shouldn't really be taking to heart lads.

Hmmmm....excuses being made after the fact are flawed from the get go. A "student documentary" can be of an amazing standard, I am unsure as to why you seem to expect so little from students. It's kind of weird that your defense of the lads in the docu is that they were just "bull****ting".
    As for dubstep dublin and bro-step of which im proud to drill into the faces of unsuspecting clubber folk. I welcome the change .and "change" being the magic word here. As your classic dubstep or snorestep has being around a lot longer and is played in clubs all over ireland if your were to start a night playing this type of music you'd be playing the most common sound of all. Snorestep is great but its a tad light hearted. Strangeways plays a more up beat energetic style of dubstep which caters for "a lot" of people. If we were to all listen to snorestep life would be boring dubstep would be boring. It's the people who have the balls to play what the enjoy rather then what Mixmag proclaims as good.

I am not too sure what you are trying to say here...but if you cannot see the energy in a tune like "Anti War Dub" then nobody can help you. (You would have been far better to come in here with the "there is good and bad music to be found in both the classic sound and the more midrange orientated dubstep" argument )

Also, who the **** reads MixMag? I would strongly suggest you up your game on your dismissals....mentioning Fact or Pitchfork or some other uppity blog would have been a far better move.

For a moany old **** i certainly seem to be a little more on the button than you.
    I think the fact is filthy dubstep has more potential as it requires alot more to produce then snorestep (a sub bass wobble obscurely varying its LFO to create an inconsistency with little or no punch).

As a producer i completely disagree. I've written some big wobble stuff (that had some pretty big receptions ) in my time and i always found it a lot easier...thats just me though.
    The thing is both are good and both should be used one to warm up and one to finish up. Brostep - Snorestep each have equally the same amount of good and **** tunes its up to the DJs to filter out the ****.

You've already undermined your "both are good" point by banging on about "Snorestep"...seriously, you can't have thought it would lend any credence to your points in defense of the music you like to do exactly what you are accusing other people of doing? You can't see the irony there at all?

To be honest, if there has one thing this entire episode has proven it's that the folk who have come to the defense of Strangeways have really only made stuff worse. The lads themselves seem to have copped that the interview came off bad and have said little to nothing and are just getting on with what they do, which is run a successful weekday club night.

It's the ill timed and brutally worded attempts from folk such as yourself who are, at this point, doing more damage by simply not letting it lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I can understand if you're playing on a Wednesday night you're going to have to lean fairly pop to get any sort of crowd. Students are the only people going to stay out late and trying to get friends to agree on anything a little alternative can be an upward struggle so you end up going to some **** club with pop music because it has more girls.

That said it's not like there's only two types of dubstep heavy and not heavy. There's a pretty broad spectrum out there. As mentioned before DNB died on it's arse pursuing the faster/filthier thing for too long so most of the older heads are suspicious of that kind of thing. I'd be inclined to agree. If anything the heavy fitlhy side of dubstep is kind of a trend from 3 years ago (a reaction to the really reserved minimal **** from the previous couple of years) and now it's fractured off into a bajillion different directions as a reaction to the heavy stuff. You listen to Rinse.fm and there's not a whole lot of heavy stuff anymore, and those lads are on the cutting edge.

You guys booked Carnie and Sertone for next Wednesday so it's not like you don't have older DJ's/alternative ****. Serts more new school hip hop than dubstep. Variety is the spice of life. Keep throwing in some curve balls rather than precisely what the crowd expect and there's some potential. Nowadays I don't think there's much room for subtlety if you want to make a go of things. It's a shame but you've got to play mostly ****e music and sneak in a bit of quality music by stealth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mo chainsaws

I'm kind of disappointed with how this whole thing is playing out..if it was DnB we'd have people getting pushed down stairs, if it was Grime we'd have some wicked pars being uploaded to Youtube right now, Garage would have some shootings before embracing Auto-tune and 21 second limits on verses.

But nope, it's Dubstep...so it's fake names and poor spelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

That last post is the actual bass sample that was used in the Roland tr-808.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Thanks for that Mo.

In my defence I had just caught the chicken pox so I was sick as a dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 DeadlyB

francois wrote: »
    What the hell does age have to do with taste?

I know my parents hated my taste in music. Its in your blood to hate what the generation after you is into. I've seen it happen so many times people hate what they don't understand.watch the last south park episode.

It's also pointless saying britney spears is a big part of the scene. I could say marc mcabe was huge in the techno scene in Ireland which is almost true if you check the maniac sales. Madonna would have being a major player in the house scene as well. and i heard a drum and bass version of tinchy strider by pendulum and Garage Craig david anyone. If you want to attach Popstars to everything then all music is s"it.

People wishing Dubstep was still like the snorestep it once was . Bolax its its not like they have stopped producing it Goth Trad, Loefah, Loopshaunt, Mala, Pinch, There still releasing tunes so if any of you guys wanna put together a set and start a night by all means do so. Show us how its done. not only will you be giving people something to do. you'll be making healthy competition. I would support it because its hard enough promoting and running weekly nights without having a load of people making sh"t of what you've worked hard to create.

• Advertisement

People wishing Dubstep was still like the snorestep it once was .

Here's the thing, i seriously don't think this is the case. If it was why would people be buying the likes of the new Silkie, artists like Hyetal, James Blake, Mount Kimbie, Phaleh...the list goes on and on. People have absolutely embraced the evolution of Dubstep and the genre mashing being done by people combining elements of Dubstep, Techno and House.

To be honest, you are applying an assumed argument to the people who don't like the same music as you (primarily) in a pale attempt to undermine their opinion and imply it's not valid. It's one of the oldest tricks in the book that people resort to when they find themselves unable to correctly argue their own point.

The idea that the only people who don't like the heavier wobble end of Dubstep are blind to musical progression is completely bogus.

I know my parents hated my taste in music. Its in your blood to hate what the generation after you is into.
    Explain Crystal Swing then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

DeadlyB. I'm still convinced you're a troll, but anyway...Good job on ignoring everyone's points and randomly beating straw man arguments.

The britney spears reference was, of course, referring to the genre as resembling pop music in purpose....but we digress...

It's really this simple:
    You're either playing pop music or your'e not. But if you're playing music for the masses, it's generally not underground. They're somewhat mutually exclusive.
    In terms of taking something underground and popularising it by reducing it to a simple sound, you're rehashing the life-cycle of acid house/D&B/every single genre in the last 50 years. It's not big, it's not clever and it's not difficult. Plenty of the original "snorestep" (wtf, by the way?) lads have continued to innovate. You're now years behind them, doing what they did, and moved on from.

In short, you're far from the cutting edge you presume yourself to be at. You're more outdated than the "old fogies" you imagine the people on here to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

I know my parents hated my taste in music.

I can't imagine why…
    Its in your blood to hate what the generation after you is into.

No it isn't. We don't have a musical menopause encoded in our dna. Some people choose to listen to new music, some people don't. It's a choice, it's not predestined...
    I've seen it happen so many times people hate what they don't understand.

But your posting on a forum where all different genres of dance are discussed and people here would know of most of them. They dislike brostep not because they don't understand it because it is sonic equivalent of cat diarrhea.

It's also pointless saying britney spears is a big part of the scene. I could say marc mcabe was huge in the techno scene in Ireland which is almost true if you check the maniac sales. Madonna would have being a major player in the house scene as well. and i heard a drum and bass version of tinchy strider by pendulum and Garage Craig david anyone. If you want to attach Popstars to everything then all music is s"it.

They only reason Britney was mentioned was because of the stupid comment on the documentary. No other reason. I think everyone here realises she's not a big dubstep player.
    People wishing Dubstep was still like the snorestep it once was . Bolax its its not like they have stopped producing it Goth Trad, Loefah, Loopshaunt, Mala, Pinch, There still releasing tunes so if any of you guys wanna put together a set and start a night by all means do so. Show us how its done. not only will you be giving people something to do. you'll be making healthy competition. I would support it because its hard enough promoting and running weekly nights without having a load of people making sh"t of what you've worked hard to create.

Nobody wishes that Dubstep remained the same but to suggest that brostep is some sort of positive evolution is a joke. Look out for the Dubstep/Techno crossover thread - it's one of the most popular threads on here. People on here like a lot of dubstep that moves beyond the cliches established over the last couple of years and the pooling of genres that is happening with labels like Hotflush means there is some amazing music being made right now that moves the mind and the feet. Drop the chainsaw and check that sh¡t out.

And snorestep just sounds juvenile and retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭francois

Its in your blood to hate what the generation after you is into..

Balls. I've been buying music for over 30 years, new and old-I don't buy into that for a moment

I think people are taking me way too Literally, Disecting individual parts of my post's. I know what I said its my opinon. I prefer yours instead of your analyisis of mine. I'm only in this for the banter but i don't see why people got to hate something you don't enjoy. why not ignore. Why not even be happy for the fact that some people get there kicks of different stuff.

everybody has taste but whats the point if you Don't accept that everything has potential in different ears. Your standard is your standard not everyone will agree with you on that. I certainly don't think anyone here agrees with me.

People are to opinionated about what they think should be played in a club. It's a matter of taste and support from people who a like minded. Its not for everyone.253845_174678882592731_100001518600708_450398_1136206_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

the video was so full of idiocy everyone was having a laugh and thinking it was a p1ss-take.

that's nothing to do with opinions or tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Hilarious thread, deadlyb's input has had me laughing out loud.

Could you name us an oul choone there that fills the snorestep criteria there, me oul flower?
    Cotti - I Don't Give A Dub

Great track. He's kind of fallen by the wayside. I see him up on dubstepforum pushing some stuff but he's not on any of the major sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

everybody has taste but whats the point if you Don't accept that everything has potential in different ears. Your standard is your standard not everyone will agree with you on that. I certainly don't think anyone here agrees with me.

That's grand and all, but you've fallen on your own sword when you started name-calling those who disagreed with your opinion, while all they've done is express their opinions on brostep, and in some instances, the grammar in your posts.

• Advertisement

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Great track. He's kind of fallen by the wayside. I see him up on dubstepforum pushing some stuff but he's not on any of the major sites.

Sadly Cotti didn't really evolve the same way the rest of the DMZ crew did. Mala has Deep Medi where he pushes the real low end sub heavy classic vibes, Loefah has Swamp 81 which is obviously a "nuff said" label at this point in time and it's pretty clear that the two of them were heavily influenced in turn by those projects and the artists they released.

Sadly Cotti just kind of fell into the habit of rinsing the same bass patch over and over. I hope he comes back with another true killer track.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

lol, snorestep will always be ten times heavier then anything you ever play if you stay going down that road. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭DonRosco

Coki is snorestep now? Coki? WTF

DonRosco wrote: »
    Coki is snorestep now? Coki? WTF
    Didn't you hear, dont worry though snorestep will make a comeback when brostep destroys dubstep.

Didn't you hear, dont worry though snorestep will make a comeback when brostep destroys dubstep.

lol, The Art of Self Par by DeadlyB.

Available now on Beatport.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭DonRosco

FWIW, while the video was jokes galore, props to the guys running this do, they're doing a good job of promoting. Musical differences don't really bother me much any more, I went through all this angst with DnB and it was pointless. To each his own, and i'm all for a frank exchange of views on it. I would prefer if that exchange of views was a little bit less, eh, remedial from certain quarters, but that's the internet for you I suppose.

Having said that, this brostep or whatever, is so un-dublike at this stage, calling it dubstep is a major misnomer imo. Lumpstep. Batterstep. Powerstep. Grindstep. Metalstep?

Oookay!

DonRosco wrote: »
    Having said that, this brostep or whatever, is so un-dublike at this stage, calling it dubstep is a major misnomer imo. Lumpstep. Batterstep. Powerstep. Grindstep. Metalstep?
    Hitchcock?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭francois

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Hitchcock?

Cockstep?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

No one was even slagging the music, everyone learned to ignore that three years ago.
    There is enough decent stuff around to make it so.

It was the ludicrous revisionism in the video people found fault with and no one was even bothered about that till someone through a strop on here.

No one gives a toss what music your playing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement