Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dubstep Dublin and Strangeways, Here We Come

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

this thread is gas

• Registered Users Posts: 34 synthbuyer

In a nutshell: The docuemtnary (which had nothing to do with Strangeways except for using a clip of people dancing and a barely contextual interview, and was made by three plc course students with no budget)

Summary

The documetnary stated that the 808 was sampled from a LP (impossible, not a fact)

It said that dubstep was "Dank, Dirt and Filthy" (which although something that may piss off our dubstep veterans here, is something that would be important in addressing the dubstep "fad", if you like, that it has become)

"Belgian Tech" had little or no influence, really, over the growing of dubstep. (It failed to mention garage, grime etc.)

The guy at the end was qouted semi out of context with the whole "Britney Spears" remark

Some poeple are laughing at the Augustus Pable, King Tubby reference. Well, if you cant appreciate King Tubby's influence over the creation of electronic music, then you are uninformed. He invented the remix, practically. Also, it is no coinincidence that ragga (which was quite influential on DnB) used sped up Dub samples, which in turn later effected drum and bass. Although expressed in a somehwta infantile manner in the docuemtnary "drum n bass and dubstep like to use a lot of hi hats and cymbals" the statement is valid. Listen to the rythm of hi hats in dubstep, it is quite idiosincratic to the genre.

As for the young people dancing, not knowing "how" to dance to dubstep.... come one. just grow up. hey were drinking having the craic, like. Why is everybody so bitter about the fact that there are people appreciating "brostep" music on a night out, even if they are not Dubtep purists?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

francois wrote: »
    Cockstep?
    39 Steps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 2500bc

DeadlyB wrote: »
    You could say the same about the people on boards.

It seems pretty easy to make fun of something behind a keyboard as you finish off that third bowel of ice cream. But getting off your fat ass and provide a substitute for what your saying i doubt you would succeed.
    It's a club night and there doing well for themselves but but there will allways be haters and jealous twats looking to **** on everything.If you try hard enough you can find a downside to anything but it leaves you a miserable c"nt. If the music isn't up to your standard then its a clear sign of aging your becoming senile hater.
    Listen deadly buzz...
    No one is hiding, this originally started from a facebook comment i made. you know who i am!?
    whos the guy with the bull****, hiding behind he fake account? (step up)
    You should go over to face book and clear a few things up.

As for the music, "EACH TO THEIR OWN" I really dont care what they play. Im not there so It doesnt affect me. As for them ridiculous videos they dont effect me either, just make them look dumb (i know there were edited to look that way, and they didnt write the script)

And the age thing, what is it make you think i am old?
    Just because someone is doing something before you or longer than you doent make them older. Chances are your older than me, so that doesnt stand for ****. Get a new war cry

my point is, these people do not represent dubstep in dublin. They represent dubstep for certain people. There is a difference. Like i said, alot of people have put in actual work, for years before they created there phenomenal facebook page.
    I could begin to list of the people and crews....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭francois

BaZmO* wrote: »
    39 Steps

Hitchcock stepping off a train

Strangers-On-A-Train.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

2500bc wrote: »
    these people do not represent dubstep in dublin.
    DubDubstep?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

synthbuyer wrote: »
    Some poeple are laughing at the Augustus Pable, King Tubby reference. Well, if you cant appreciate King Tubby's influence over the creation of electronic music, then you are uninformed. He invented the remix, practically. Also, it is no coinincidence that ragga (which was quite influential on DnB) used sped up Dub samples, which in turn later effected drum and bass. Although expressed in a somehwta infantile manner in the docuemtnary "drum n bass and dubstep like to use a lot of hi hats and cymbals" the statement is valid. Listen to the rythm of hi hats in dubstep, it is quite idiosincratic to the genre.

Aside from a sample of some lad going "bumbaclot" its a very tenuous link to dub.
    Even that has been replaced by someone shouting "smashfaceaids" at this stage

Britney's producer turned the LFO to the cut off and made a wobble. That where it stopped.
    Any hand-wringing over that is just proves some people still think wobble bassline = dubstep beginning and end.

Back to 2007 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 synthbuyer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_82ZMRnU0U go to 1:15, specifically and see what Rusko has to say. @ Cheesemaker. and also, me thinks it would be naive to think that brintey spears producer did not do that as a deliberate reference to Dubstep, which was a clever move given its popularity and currency.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

tempz1sm.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 DeadlyB

2500bc wrote: »
    Listen deadly buzz...
    No one is hiding, this originally started from a facebook comment i made. you know who i am!?
    whos the guy with the bull****, hiding behind he fake account? (step up)
    You should go over to face book and clear a few things up.

As for the music, "EACH TO THEIR OWN" I really dont care what they play. Im not there so It doesnt affect me. As for them ridiculous videos they dont effect me either, just make them look dumb (i know there were edited to look that way, and they didnt write the script)

And the age thing, what is it make you think i am old?
    Just because someone is doing something before you or longer than you doent make them older. Chances are your older than me, so that doesnt stand for ****. Get a new war cry

my point is, these people do not represent dubstep in dublin. They represent dubstep for certain people. There is a difference. Like i said, alot of people have put in actual work, for years before they created there phenomenal facebook page.
    I could begin to list of the people and crews....

Your the guy who started all this. Dude what where you thinking. In attempt to try slander the lads good name you made it the talk of boards.That's pretty counter productive don't you think.

They represent dubstep dublin which is there name your probably getting confused. They have made an impression with there night which is why all the videos.They cant control what content is put out with regards that.They just wanna have a laugh on a wednesday night like the rest us,

Why you getting so bad about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

everybody has taste but whats the point if you Don't accept that everything has potential in different ears. Your standard is your standard not everyone will agree with you on that. I certainly don't think anyone here agrees with me.

People are to opinionated about what they think should be played in a club. It's a matter of taste and support from people who a like minded. Its not for everyone.

Without wanting to sound patronising here, I think most on here have no problem with the existence of predominently wobble-driven or more "fun" dubstep. I've played "fun" techno for students myself. And I've played plenty of terrible pop music in my time, too.

I think most people just have problems with the outright revisionism. The claim to be at the cutting edge, whilst blindly following others.

Without wanting to sound patronising here, I think most on here have no problem with the existence of predominently wobble-driven or more "fun" dubstep. I've played "fun" techno for students myself. And I've played plenty of terrible pop music in my time, too.

I think most people just have problems with the outright revisionism. The claim to be at the cutting edge, whilst blindly following others.

People have problems with everything nothing good happens without someone having a problem with it. who is claiming cutting edge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tomtom2

If even the Dubstep Dublin lads saw people calling mala, coki and all the other artists "snorestep" they would be sickened themselves. These lads know their music. If they had a crowd that listened to "snorestep" they would play that.. But they have a crowd lookng for brostep so that is whats played. So they can't please everyone.

Whoever is keeping this thread going by winding up people who know what they're actually talking about just leave and let this die to prevent any more thrash talk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Angela Merkle

This is my first post.

@deadlyb You are an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭DonRosco

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Your the guy who started all this. Dude what where you thinking. In attempt to try slander the lads good name you made it the talk of boards.That's pretty counter productive don't you think.

Hang on a second, how was MG trying to slander anyone? He made a comment on his FB page and then said "don't get me started" in an attempt to leave things as they were. MG had absolutely nothing to do with this appearing on boards, that is reserved for the OP of this thread.
    They represent dubstep dublin which is there name your probably getting confused. They have made an impression with there night which is why all the videos.They cant control what content is put out with regards that.They just wanna have a laugh on a wednesday night like the rest us,

Why you getting so bad about it?

Of course they can when they appear in those video's, you know, by what they say and do.

Once again you seem to be completely missing the point, as did the OP, very few people, if anyone, give a **** about what tunes the lads play at their night or the kind of DJ's they book. Quite a few heads on this forum and others have said fair play to them for running a packed night as consistantly as they do ( you are also ignoring this point as well, as it's much easier to take a victim stance ) but the issue was with the documentary and it somehow being conceived that it was even remotely an accurate portrayal of "Dubstep in Dublin". It's you yourself who seem to have an issue separating the content from the Dubstep Dublin lads, and even the Dubstep Dublin lads from the makers of the documentary.

You are grasping at straws now mate and making yourself look more and more the fool.

Anyone who has met MG knows he is one of the soundest chaps in the scene, passionate about what he does and an extremely talented producer. The idea that someone with his skill and affiliation needs to, or would stoop to, "slandering" people is a ****ing joke.

Also, to get a bit technical on things, the word you are looking for is "libel" but to be honest over the course of the thread you have displayed an alarming disability to differentiate between the delicate nuances of things...so i guess i shouldn't be all that surprised.

Basically, King Tubby made dubstep. With or without lee scratch perry.
    The bass sample of one of his records was put on the roland 808. QED

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭francois

Basically, King Tubby made dubstep.

tubstep

This is my first post.

@deadlyb You are an idiot.

Pity you had to make an account to say that. I'm actually laughing my hole off. Watching people debate over music is the highlight of my evening. Most of the people who have a negative opinion about strangeways have never being. which doesn't really give them much to talk about but this post was like cat nip to them pussies

Other peops think that the lads are claiming the honor of bringing dubstep to dublin.When they thought of it first. How dare strangeways claim whats rightfully theirs. Sure they remained so underground for years, nobody even knew they were there.quick to remark when somebody steals there thunder. like an acid spitting xenomorph.How come there was no regular dubstep club in dublin till now i sure as hell didn't hear of one.and if there was where did it go.

Keep laughing kid.

And keep fueling trouble in a city far away from the comfort of your ma's gaff.

Idiot.

• Advertisement

.How come there was no regular dubstep club in dublin till now i sure as hell didn't hear of one.and if there was where did it go.

LMFAO!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

before this video and thread i had never heard of Dubstep in Dublin or Strangeways, Here we Come (apart from the Smiths album after which they've inexplicably named their club night).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 trim8

How come there was no regular dubstep club in dublin till now i sure as hell didn't hear of one.

HAHAHAHA are you serious??

trim8 wrote: »
    HAHAHAHA are you serious??
    please enlighten me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

how long have you got to spare?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭DonRosco

Bless!

still waiting

I call troll

Sure they remained so underground for years, nobody even knew they were there.

300_karlpilk07.jpg

• Advertisement

still waiting

A handful of the crews were already detailed elsewhere in the thread you don't appear to be reading.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement