Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dubstep Dublin and Strangeways, Here We Come

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

DeadlyB wrote: »
    Didn't you hear, dont worry though snorestep will make a comeback when brostep destroys dubstep.

Oh Lord - Where do you hold this in your esteem then?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Louis_Louis

Lulzstep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 DeadlyB

A handful of the crews were already detailed elsewhere in the thread you don't appear to be reading.

Aghh yes crews , a like minded group of individuals but not really a weekly club night. surely with all the laughter you could at least name one regular night that was running before September 2010 right. I heard of dubculture cork and galway. now 4 years old and still busting out the steps.I know kaboogie did dubstep but where more of a collective of all different types of music. Not sure there was much interest in Dublin Till recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

There was a group of German lads that ran a night in Dublin back in 2006. It was called Goosestep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

BaZmO* wrote: »
    There was a group of German lads that ran a night in Dublin back in 2006. It was called Goosestep

That was a hun-derful nacht.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

***Wobble with DJ PINCH (Planet Mu / Tectonic)***

DJ PINCH (Planet Mu / Tectonic)
    Don Rosco (Bassbin)
    Red Monk vs Púka (Kaboogie)
    Sound supplied by WORRIES OUTTANATIONAL

all at TRAFFIC, Middle Abbey St
    on May 6th, Bank Holiday Sunday

Wobble vs Reach present

SHACKLETON (Skull Disco)

Don Rosco b2b Stacks

Breaker b2b Barry Delta

Fri 28th Dec @ Traffic, 54 Middle Abbey St. 10 euros in.

Thats only the guest djs, you can find sets from locals going back 2006. Mala played a field in Roscommon in 07.

Back on topic, any chance of getting a reup for the bloody video?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭xdeletiax

uh wobble? as early as 2006?

(cheesy got there first...)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭xdeletiax

n-type.jpg

Well sin é, tis not a pissing contest or who was here first regardless.
    Just letting DealyB know since he asked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tomtom2

DeadlyB you are from limerick ye? Have you gone to any of the nights? Hmm maybe you are a part of the "Filthy Dubstep Bastards" would I be right in saying that can't see any other reason why a person from Limerick would treck all the way up here for a weekly clubnight.

Please stop veering off the topic and defending the club night when everyone has justified the fact that they don't have an issue with the club. Just the video that was uploaded. If you are asked to do a video on the origins of dubstep it's a no-brainer what questions are going to come up the lads should have prepared some decent answers can't completely blame the film crew here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Aghh yes crews , a like minded group of individuals but not really a weekly club night. surely with all the laughter you could at least name one regular night that was running before September 2010 right. I heard of dubculture cork and galway. now 4 years old and still busting out the steps.I know kaboogie did dubstep but where more of a collective of all different types of music. Not sure there was much interest in Dublin Till recently.

Not sure why i need to when they have been mentioned? Reach, Wobble, Standard etc. Pretty sure that Salt have been on the go since before September 2010, Ignored Playaz the same...and no offence to anyone pushing the sound but the IP crew have consistently killed it on bookings since they started.

I'm sure you will change the goal posts now again, come up with a new addendum to the point you are trying to make and some new perceived reason why the answer provided are not valid.

I've been attending Dubstep gigs in Dublin on the regular for 4 to 5 years now, i started promoting them myself in December 2009 and ran up until oddly enough, September 2010 when i got too sick to be able to do it anymore...you have lads on this board who have been promoting, playing and supporting the genre in Dublin for a lot longer than that...but you seem convinced it's only recently the city copped on to the FWD sound.

So yeah, Dubstep has been around in Dublin for some time, for a long patch there it was a Dubstep gig every week from one or another well respected international DJ as the lads were all doing a great job of balancing dates with each other.

I'm sure that's not quite as vibrant as the scene has been in Limerick but i think Dublin has done okay for itself. lol

tomtom2 wrote: »
    DeadlyB you are from limerick ye? Have you gone to any of the nights? Hmm maybe you are a part of the "Filthy Dubstep Bastards" would I be right in saying that can't see any other reason why a person from Limerick would treck all the way up here for a weekly clubnight.

You are correct, I am a bastard i said it in my first post. nice one for putting up the poster. Veering of the topic and when everyone has justified the fact that they don't have an issue with the club
    - i quote
    Rob McMackin
    they seem like a bunch of clueless and inarticulate idiots who think they've joined some cool and elusive club because they've "discovered" brostep.

Major Grave ‎There has always been crews/people about like that. but these lads take the biscuit...
    And obviously im not the only one that thinks this..

Droidus McMoidus There's so much wrongness going on there its not even worth thinking about. Just laugh...

Alex Sheridan ‎'Dubstep Dublin' Its such an original and creative name... However did they think of it???

Rory Hyland a twat in a hat jumps around a load of kids in their late teens trying to figure out the best way to dance to dubstep..., a guy tries to convince us that just because he likes dubstep doesn't mean he likes Britney Spears and some autistic bloke comes up with the most amazing amount of horse manure about 808s sampling dub records.

It was so bad it made me hate my own kids…"

Major Grave Im not talking ****. I just found it... ****in hilarious, even the name. comin out with the whole "bringing dubstep to Dublin" is just ****in dumb, espically when your night started up in 2010. Plenty of crews playin dubstep years before you came along.. need i say more?

DEADLYB
    I think enough was said about them to be fair and all because they were unknown to your nights back in 2007 4 years ago who remeber **** 4 years ago.
    They have worked every Wednesday night since September,and that as everyone knows is no easy gig.
    40 nights in less then a year which is guaranteed more then what you've done since 2007.
    You demand respect from them with a handfull of gigs to back you up and you call that working hard.
    Why should they credit people who insult at the drop of a hat.
    and for what purpose because they didn't mention wobble.
    It was in very bad taste lads. Guaranteed you wouldn't say that **** if you knew them personally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 anicecupoftea

They have worked every Wednesday night since September,and that as everyone knows is no easy gig.
    40 nights in less then a year which is guaranteed more then what you've done since 2007.
    You demand respect from them with a handfull of gigs to back you up and you call that working hard.

Alright mister SavageBuzzzz,
    Just cos you haven't heard of the events taking place in Dublin 4 or 5 years ago, doesn't mean they need to be proved.
    You just missed them.
    The burden of proof is not on the gig-goers and promoters to "prove" who did what and when...... so chill about that one, yea?

Also, STOP ASSUMING.
    This hasn't been going so well for you, has it mister WhopperBuzzzzz?
    Like the bit above that I quoted.

"40 nights in less then a year which is guaranteed more then what you've done since 2007."

Gauranteed yea?

You KNOW that's a MASSIVE assumption yes?

Just do a bit of research before saying things like that. Or most of what you've said about a city you don't know, and a history you don't know.
    Really.

If a tree falls in the woods and there's no-one around to hear it, did it really fall?

Yes, cos DeadlyBuzz was standing at the bottom with his chainsaw.
    (it's not his chainsaw though, he borrowed it from someone in 2006 and never gave it back.... and at this stage, what with the state it's in........ the owner doesn't really want it back anymore).

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Droidus McMoidus There's so much wrongness going on there its not even worth thinking about. Just laugh...

That was in reference to this thread, and (mainly) yours and the OP's posts. And I stand by it. The comments here have been incredibly ignorant, and just illustrates what Major Graves said in the first place. You havent got a clue, and every one of your posts further illustrates this, and no doubt would make even the dubstep dublin lads (who by all accounts arent such a bad bunch) cringe.

Just give it up now and head off to your Wednesday night superclub and lick some more balls instead.

droidus wrote: »
    That was in reference to this thread, and (mainly) yours and the OP's posts. And I stand by it. The comments here have been incredibly ignorant, and just illustrates what Major Graves said in the first place. You havent got a clue, and every one of your posts further illustrates this, and no doubt would make even the dubstep dublin lads (who by all accounts arent such a bad bunch) cringe.
    ou
    Just give it up now and head off to your Wednesday night superclub and lick some more balls instead.

I'm sure licking balls is the first thing that comes to mind for you,but i dont really want to know how you visualize others around you. My comments fall on ignorant ears mate. Not much to be said for people who aren't open minded and more of middle of the road bunch. You'll keep playing safe I suppose god knows your credibility is at stake if any.

I think enough was said about them to be fair and all because they were unknown to your nights back in 2007 4 years ago who remeber **** 4 years ago.
    Why should they credit people who insult at the drop of a hat.
    and for what purpose because they didn't mention wobble.
    It was in very bad taste lads. Guaranteed you wouldn't say that **** if you knew them personally

You see, there is that goal post changing again.

To be honest, you are comparing apples with oranges, and it makes very little sense to do so.

The lads are running a student orientated club night using pretty much only local talent with the occasional break in the pattern. (For what it's worth I love any night that pushes local DJ's, it's my preferred model).

The other crews whose efforts you have dismissed have been consistently bringing over the biggest Dubstep DJ's and Producers , which is obviously a pretty large financial investment so doing so every week would be a massive risk and completely ****ing pointless.

Anyone who knows a thing about booking the bigger acts will know that it can be a risky business and depending on the fee's and a hundred factors leading up to your gig you will or won't make your money back.

Then we have the fact that many of the people you have dismissed will be traveling all over this country of a weekend to play their own gigs so obviously they are going to be balancing the gigs they play against the gigs they promote, as it's hard to run your night in Dublin when you are gigging in Cork.

Then lets talk about radio shows, you have guys here dedicating 3 to 4 hours a week, every week, week in and week out to doing their radio shows on the likes of Play, Power FM and Radio na Life.

What about the producers, the guys who run the labels like Ruff Revival, !Kaboogie, Alphabet Set, DubCulture etc...more man hours, more financial risks, more blood, sweat and tears.

If you want to talk about man hours it's honestly not even a contest...the old crews will take the win every time.

Personally i've met the lads, i've been to the night, i'm mates with them on Facebook and if they have any issue with what i am saying they can take it up with me...but the documentary was **** and they didn't do themselves any kind of justice in it and that's the key point.

You are currently trapped in a position where you are holding the views expressed by a limited number against everyone who didn't like the documentary...which is ****ing sad to be honest.

Seriously, the lads themselves have dealt with this far better than their "defenders" who are, at this point, just making them look bad.

So come on, lets be having your next post so i can once again dismiss your short sighted and exceptionally narrow view of the Dubstep scene in Dublin.

Not much to be said for people who aren't open minded and more of middle of the road bunch. You'll keep playing safe I suppose god knows your credibility is at stake if any.

lol. I agree with Don Rosco, Ive gone far beyond the stage where musical differences bother me. I may not like what the next man listens to, but everyone has their own taste...

That said, you come across as about the most close minded and MOR as you can be when it comes to dubstep. If we were talking about rock, you'd be a Dire Straits fan.

I'm sure licking balls is the first thing that comes to mind for you,but i dont really want to know how you visualize others around you. My comments fall on ignorant ears mate. Not much to be said for people who aren't open minded and more of middle of the road bunch. You'll keep playing safe I suppose god knows your credibility is at stake if any.

Brostep for all its bluster is fast becoming the most stylistically conservative and cliched genre out there and you're mocking other people for not being open minded?

Your comments are not falling on ignorant ears, they're are being constantly rebuked by people that actually know what they're talking about. And yet you constantly come back with more guff. Seriously it's getting weak at this stage.

And btw Rory Hyland didn't make that comment on facebook, he was quoting me from this thread and if you'd quoted fully you'd realise it was in relation to the documentary. And you're the ones complaining about misrepresentation? Sheesh…

Im sure there's a thesis to be written about the devolution of underground music and the transition between black/mixed/local/underground scenes to primarily white/mainstream/global audiences. Ive seen it happen twice now in the past 10 years with D+B and dubstep.

If you drastically simplify things and take say - Pendulum and Skrillex as indicators, then it seems that the way to get underground dance music accepted by affluent white audiences is to simplify the beat to the point of stupidity and turn it into electronic rock music.

What that says about the audiences themselves and their 'open mindedness' is another question...

Im sure there's a thesis to be written about the devolution of underground music and the transition between black/mixed/local/underground scenes to primarily white/mainstream/global audiences. Ive seen it happen twice now in the past 10 years with D+B and dubstep.

If you drastically simplify things and take say - Pendulum and Skrillex as indicators, then it seems that the way to get underground dance music accepted by affluent white audiences is to simplify the beat to the point of stupidity and turn it into electronic rock music.

What that says about the audiences themselves and their 'open mindedness' is another question...

And it even goes back a lot further than that, look at Elvis ffs.

• Advertisement

And it even goes back a lot further than that, look at Elvis ffs.

Yeah, but Elvis was actually OK. In fact, Id say the standard of white appropriation has declined considerably over the years. :D

But now black people are getting their own back and tormenting us with the likes of the black eyed peas.

But yeah you're right the history of white appropriation of black music is in the main a pretty miserable one.

Look at rap metal ffs. Jesus what an abomination.

There seems to be two standard responses by white people to rhythmic black music. An over-intellectualising of the form as can be seen by european jazz but something like this can feedback into the original art form and create new variants and interesting deviations. It can also be in the main extremely dull.

Then there is the type of appropriation of the music we see with the likes of rap metal and brostep which is the stripping of rhythmic nuance to leave a clunky, lumpen beat and the addition of a metal mentality and a middle class, sexless, machismo targeted at white, hormonal middle class male who are pissed off at life but have nothing to worry about because they get everything handed to them. So as a fúck you to mammy and daddy they develop an interest in vans, three quarter length trousers and check shirts and reductive, blustery music devoid of any passion or smarts.

I'm actually not entirely comfortable with racial/class analysis of musical development. It can be very easy to fall into a black/ghetto = good, white/middle class = bad. Of course, its always more complex than that. In terms of dubstep, you could say also that the first wave of dubstep was a conservative development of the 'black' sounds of garage/8-bar/proto-grime. But El-B is a hero of early dubstep, and he was of course massively influenced by Steve Gurley, who in turn came out of rave/hardcore and jungle - probably the most racially mixed forms of dance music in terms of both audiences and artists... 'white' influence isn't always bad either - people like Hessle audio have been channeling the ghost of locked on for a few years now and producing some amazing tunes along the way.

I think perhaps the key factor is location. You get producers who are completely separate from a scene producing stuff with a totally different ethos and approach to a different audience. This is picked up and fed back in to the loop, handily appropriating genre labels along the way and the result is a new audience dancing to totally different music and appropriating the cultural space without knowing or caring where it all came from. The advertisers see a (relatively) rich white audience dancing to the next 'new sound' and take it mainstream and artists respond by trying to get a chunk of the profits. Meanwhile the innovators have long moved onto something else...

Woah, don't be turning this into a proper discussion or anything

synthbuyer wrote: »
    He invented the remix, practically. Also, it is no coinincidence that ragga (which was quite influential on DnB) used sped up Dub samples, which in turn later effected drum and bass.

Sorry to be pedantic, but ragga did not ever use 'sped up dub samples'. In fact, in Jamaica dub died around 1983 and was buried forever by the Sleng teng in '85. Ragga did use many of the reggae riddims that originated in the late 60's/early 70's as the basis for tunes, but the primary feature of digital dancehall, and then ragga, was the development of new sounds and new rhythms using new technology - hence the mid-80s synth based digital revolution, followed by the early 90's banghra influenced bogle sound, both of which signalled massive changes in reggae and had almost nothing whatsoever to do with dub.

Careful gents, you are in danger on completely turning the flow of this thread around and having it become an intelligent debate about music.

To pile in with my two cents, one big factor even since the days of the aforementioned DnB is the internet and it's effect of music and even it's dulling of location as a massive factor. Before you needed to be in some kind of physical chain to be truly aware of what was happening in the underground, you'd get given a CD with mixes or tunes or even a tape.

Idea's and such had a much longer time to incubate and develop a true stylistic leaning as people influenced each other and a true community was built up. To take Dubstep as an example you have Croydon which is in essence it's spiritual home, you had the lads who were developing the sound who all knew each other, went to Plastic People and FWD and the like.

These days, with the proliferation of sites like Soundcloud etc someone can do something, upload it and it's out there...whatever is new in the style or the production can be swiftly adopted by other producers. It can happen quite quickly and you end up hearing the stuff that is influenced by it maybe without even hearing the original tunes themselves.

I think this plays a large part in why Dubstep, as a sound, has been morphed into the maybe more fitting name of "Bass Music" as elements from many other genres and sounds are taken in, from Skwee, Juke,Techno,House and become in effect a part of the style.

I reckon we are slowly approaching the death of true location based genre growth...in part due to things like Soundcloud and in part due to places like Juno,Beatport etc as you can have instant access to a global market for your stuff that doesn't have the issues and limits of trying to move physical units. Obviously it will take some time for this to happening as internet connections are still a statistical rarity in some parts of the world.

It also plays back to the racial/cultural effect as well...even in multiculture societies at the moment i would guess that area's of cities and towns are predominantly populated by people of a given demographic...and this isn't such a big issue on the internet obviously.

I'm actually not entirely comfortable with racial/class analysis of musical development. It can be very easy to fall into a black/ghetto = good, white/middle class = bad. Of course, its always more complex than that. In terms of dubstep, you could say also that the first wave of dubstep was a conservative development of the 'black' sounds of garage/8-bar/proto-grime. But El-B is a hero of early dubstep, and he was of course massively influenced by Steve Gurley, who in turn came out of rave/hardcore and jungle - probably the most racially mixed forms of dance music in terms of both audiences and artists... 'white' influence isn't always bad either - people like Hessle audio have been channeling the ghost of locked on for a few years now and producing some amazing tunes along the way.

I get where you're coming from but tbf I was painting with very wide brush strokes in my post about mainstream appropriation of music styles. I do think underground music is always going to have a better mix of people working together. Mainstream is definitely more segregated.
    I think perhaps the key factor is location. You get producers who are completely separate from a scene producing stuff with a totally different ethos and approach to a different audience. This is picked up and fed back in to the loop, handily appropriating genre labels along the way and the result is a new audience dancing to totally different music and appropriating the cultural space without knowing or caring where it all came from. The advertisers see a (relatively) rich white audience dancing to the next 'new sound' and take it mainstream and artists respond by trying to get a chunk of the profits. Meanwhile the innovators have long moved onto something else...

Well said.

These days, with the proliferation of sites like Soundcloud etc someone can do something, upload it and it's out there...whatever is new in the style or the production can be swiftly adopted by other producers. It can happen quite quickly and you end up hearing the stuff that is influenced by it maybe without even hearing the original tunes themselves.

Yeah, absolutely. And its no coincidence that the final nails in the coffin of D+B came at a time when the internet really blew up...

I get where you're coming from but tbf I was painting with very wide brush strokes in my post about mainstream appropriation of music styles. I do think underground music is always going to have a better mix of people working together. Mainstream is definitely more segregated.

Yeah, that was directed as much at myself as anyone else. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

Can someone explain what is going on in this thread? I am an outsider and not a keen follower of the dubstep scene in Dublin (I was in The Twisted Pepper once).

Is the argument:

1) Dublin Dubstep run a successful nightclub (Strangeways, here we come) that is popular with the cool kids. Don't be jealous.

vs.

2) Dubstep Dublin play music to a bunch of idiots who don't even understand what real dubstep is. They are popular with the idiots at the moment, but will eventually fade. And the music isn't true to it's roots anyway.

I'd appreciate your input of Droidus and others.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement