Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dubstep Dublin and Strangeways, Here We Come

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Some people got in a strop over comments somebody made about Dubstep Dublin on their facebook page and leapt to the defence of Dubstep Dublin calling everybody who didn't go to the student night Strangeways old fogey haters with middle of the road tastes who like to eat ice cream and masturbate compulsively. Everybody else told them to cop themselves on…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Yeah thats pretty much it. And the original comment was pretty innocent as well TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

No one even criticised the music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Angela Merkle

keanooo wrote: »
    Can someone explain what is going on in this thread? I am an outsider and not a keen follower of the dubstep scene in Dublin (I was in The Twisted Pepper once).

Is the argument:

1) Dublin Dubstep run a successful nightclub (Strangeways, here we come) that is popular with the cool kids. Don't be jealous.

vs.

2) Dubstep Dublin play music to a bunch of idiots who don't even understand what real dubstep is. They are popular with the idiots at the moment, but will eventually fade. And the music isn't true to it's roots anyway.

I'd appreciate your input of Droidus and others.

Believe it or not it's about neither; it's been swung that way by those who felt slighted by a facebook comment:

'Dubstep Dublin.....don't get me started lol'

This comment was understood by all who saw it - it was in reference to a video made by 'someone' in which members of 'dubstep dublin' a new crew, made outlandish claims about everything from the music's origins to their role in bringing it to dublin - they immediately removed the video after it became clear they ha made themselves appear foolish.

Then 'someone' opened this thread attacking everybody who isnt 'dubstep dublin'(ie, anyone involved in 'dubstep' in 'dublin' over the last decade), ignoring the video issue and claiming persecution by the evil dubstep empire, citing jealousy and senility as the reason people were:

laughing at the video,
    saying the video was ****e,
    telling their mates about the video,
    demanding the video should be put up again to allow those who hadnt seen it (but were now being accused of jealousy and senility) to make their own minds up.

Hope that clears it up.

:pac:

Of course without the video, this is all a waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

Cheers. That's a lot clearer.

I've done all kinds of google search variations for that video and can't find it... but I get the picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Summary of thread: Deadlybuzz has ****e taste in music, and couldn't get a fake ID to go to the dubstep gigs that have been going on since 2006, therefore they didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭DonRosco

One correction there - it wasn't the actual dubstep dublin crew that made these claims, and they didn't make or remove the video. Outlandish claims of varying varieties were made by other people, and the video was pulled by the people that made it, I believe some students.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 DrLego

this is part of the reason why dubstep in Dublin is so fragmented. Lack of communication and hearsay.

If everyone who loved hearing dubstep in Dublin, regardless of subgenre or artist could pull together for 6 months there would be a thriving scene.

Not enough people give dubstep a chance because they think it sounds like a chainsaw. Other people give up on it because it doesnt sound filthy enough.

If everyone could just get together and run events that compliment each crew and attempt to direct punters towards sounds that they might like then it would be a better place.

Like it or not sounds evolve. The tunes change but stuff like Menta and Horsepower productions are just as relevant know as when they created a genre but stuff like Emalkay and Addison Groove are equally as good. The best DJs know that every song has its time and place.

Dont crucify people for not knowing how or where something came from. Educate them. To often people use the internet as a veil to hide behind when they are being snidey or horrible. Dubstep only took off because the people who created it all supported each other.

If someone doesnt know about 2 step or hardcore breaks then educate them. As Don Rosco said the Dubstep Dublin lads didnt make any of these claims. Drunk / Drugged up punters did. Im sure if you got any Dublin clubber onto the right topic they would make a fool of themselves.

Equally dont try to rewrite history, lads who has been listening and helping a sound spread for years dont need to insulted by being told they didnt exist.

DrLego wrote: »
    If everyone could just get together and run events that compliment each crew and attempt to direct punters towards sounds that they might like then it would be a better place.

That's never going to work though, that's like having a night with Deadmau5 and David Guetta in one room, and Kyle Hall and Space Dimension Controller in another, and saying everyone should get along because it's all 'house music'.

There's a time and a place for chainsaw dubstep, and a time and a place for good dubstep. The only problem we're having is that there's blokes in here trying to defend a video that claims the 808 was sampled off a King Tubby record, and saying that Strangeways is bringing dubstep to Dublin, both of which are wildly wrong statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

Its amazing how an arsehole can keep a thread rolling for days. I'd like to say good read but meh..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 DeadlyB

Check out the Strangeway's Dubstep dublin in the Lost Society
    Every Wednesday to see what all the fuss is about .
    Check out the tune inspired by the nonsensical debate about a video that doesn't exist anymore.

Brostep killed Snorestep
    http://soundcloud.com/filthydubstep/brostep-killed-snorestep

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

DeadlyB wrote: »
    Check out the Strangeway's Dubstep dublin in the Lost Society
    Every Wednesday to see what all the fuss is about .
    Check out the tune inspired by the nonsensical debate about a video that doesn't exist anymore.

Brostep killed Snorestep
    http://soundcloud.com/filthydubstep/brostep-killed-snorestep

You do realise that that track 'is' what you call snorestep? Same slow meditative sound as 'Shattered', the Coki track you put up earlier?

As it happens, it's also pretty ordinary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 SaltDublin

This thread is pretty hilarious.
    Now that we have everyone's attention, for those of you who arent into bropstep, we at Salt are presenting George Fitzgerald at Kennedys tomorrow night (25/06). George is our latest act in a whopper line up over the last year or so-featuring the likes of Scuba and Shakleton, as well as the best of our own homegrown talent.
    Looks like it'll be a belter of a gig. Now for a barrage of links...
    Event page:
    http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=211852452188635&ref=ts
    pre sale tickets https://www.eventelephant.com/saltpresentgeorgefitzgerald
    Pre sale tickets are seven euro
    *Shameless promotion over*

CiaranMT wrote: »
    You do realise that that track 'is' what you call snorestep? Same slow meditative sound as 'Shattered', the Coki track you put up earlier?

As it happens, it's also pretty ordinary.

I know. People think I hate Snorestep. I don't quite the opposite but it's the type of music I listen before i go to sleep.

SaltDublin wrote: »
    SALT presents George Fitzgerald

If we're doing that...

Again, for anyone into "snorestep", Not Saying Boo are bringing Julio Bashmore for his first Irish appearance. One the biggest producers in both the bass, house, and "snorestep" scenes, along with a massive line-up across two venues over 12 hours.

August 5th // Tickets €10 // Bernard Shaw & Twisted Pepper

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=165373156861357

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

I know. People think I hate Snorestep. I don't quite the opposite but it's the type of music I listen before i go to sleep.

It's an awful term.

You're like so cool. like a mr freeze. and you're funny like allan carr. you're cool and funny like an allan carr shaped mr. freeze...

dude, you rock...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I reckon that George Fitz gig is going to be excellent.

Can't go though. :mad:

CiaranMT wrote: »
    It's an awful term.
    so is brostep but i dont let it bother me term on no term a rose with any other name yada yada yada yada.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭xdeletiax

would love to be hittin that salt gig- ye put on great parties for shack and scuba!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 donthefox

I'd like to step in and say that snorestep was made up by us as a joke... and DeadlyB is an awful troll and you're worse to be feeding him. The brostep term is pretty horrible, I must say, and most of it is total bollocks, but there's good stuff there still, just getting harder to find... I still love playing it out, though. There's a lot of bad music out there full stop, at least 90% of all music is bollocks, imho, which makes the good stuff all the sweeter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 donthefox

For clarity, I'm the other Filthy Dubstep Bastard!

donthefox wrote: »
    I'd like to step in and say that snorestep was made up by us as a joke...

That's odd because when I brought up the term "snorestep" in conversation with a few punters down at Strangeways the other night they said they were into it a few years back but felt it had lost it's way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tomtom2

keanooo wrote: »
    That's odd because when I brought up the term "snorestep" in conversation with a few punters down at Strangeways the other night they said they were into it a few years back but felt it had lost it's way...

I don't understand how "snorestep" could have lost its way. I believe it's fairly consistent and a lot of people would agree. Would definitely feel more strongly in saying brostep has lost its way as of recently.

I believe this link explains enough http://youtu.be/rEuFTBG0Rbg

DeadlyB is an awful troll and you're worse to be feeding him.

Leggo left an awful hole in this forum...

tomtom2 wrote: »

That's a good link. It's the exact same problem with dancehall. It's getting harder to the point of being ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

and DeadlyB is an awful troll and you're worse to be feeding him.

We like to keep a pet troll for entertainment purposes...feeding them just enough to stay alive and continue to make a moron of himself...they always end up dying off though because we never leave any water out during the summer holidays.

My original point was that Brostep - Snorestep have both something to offer and both something to turn your nose up at. It's up to the dj to filter out the ****.
    I often find Snorestep dj's to be stuck in a loop of playing the same tune or at least dropping one or all of these tunes in there sets. they can be usually found in the classics section on beatport some are Vynil only. all of the featured on a Rinse Fm cd called I love Dubstep. You'll find most of them are simple in ways of production. but wobbly goodness from start to finish.

Skream-Dutch Flowerz
    Caspa-Rubber Chicken
    Loefah-Mud
    Skream-Rutten
    D1-Malfunction
    Benga-Flames
    Skream-I (Loefah Remix)
    Skream-Chest Boxing
    Benga-Crunked Up
    Massive Music-Find My Way (Kode9 Remix)
    Distance-Traffic
    Skream-Midnight Request Line
    Benga-28 Basslines
    Magnetic Man-Alright
    Headhunter-Descent
    Kromestar-Kalawanji
    Coki-Tortured
    Hijak-Dally
    Pinch-Punisher
    SP:MC-Trust Nobody
    Mala-Left Leg Out
    D1-Give It Back
    Shackleton-Blood On My Hands
    Digital Mystikz-Give Jah Glory
    TRG-Broken Heart (Martyn’s DCM Remix)
    The Bug-Skeng
    Digital Mystikz-Anti-War Dub
    Horsepower Productions-Golden Nugget
    Conquest-Hardfood
    Skream-Oskillatah
    Distance-V
    Unkown-Burning
    Skream-Make Me
    Digital Mystikz-Haunted
    Benga-E Trips
    Fat Freddy’s Drop-Cay’s Crays (Digital Mystikz Remix)
    Skream-2D
    Benga & Coki-Night
    Headhunter-Sushi Brain
    2562-Kameleon
    Kode9-Babylon
    DJ Abstract-Touch
    TRG-Decisions
    Burial-Archangel

People you put distortion on most of these tracks basslines you've got filth, good filth, Without it, its a middle of the road music its not bad but its doesn't make you wanna go ape**** . I play filth because its got distortion simple as. Anyone who grew up listening to deftones NIN or prodigy gets it. i could slag the **** out of snorestep tunes but i learned years ago that its pointless labeling something. and yeah i labeled it snorestep but only for debate. you cant account for all the music thats there. Genre's were created to advertise to consumers. you wanna categorize your music taste into genre you'll dismiss a **** load of talented producers.

tomtom2 wrote: »
    I don't understand how "snorestep" could have lost its way. I believe it's fairly consistent and a lot of people would agree. Would definitely feel more strongly in saying brostep has lost its way as of recently.

Rusko is producing britney spears album. That is actually the worst place anyone could have taken it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ENNO101

tCp90.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement