Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Taxi drivers

• 20-06-2011 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

I wonder what people think of the quality of the service offered by Waterford Taxi drivers?
    I think that too many of the vehicles are old, poorly maintained and not fit for purpose.
    Come to think of it that applies to many of the drivers as well.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Sigh....what happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MAN UTD 19

I think they are the same as taxis nationwide to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MAN UTD 19

I think they are the same nationwide,to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

slainte1 wrote: »
    I wonder what people think of the quality of the service offered by Waterford Taxi drivers?
    I think that too many of the vehicles are old, poorly maintained and not fit for purpose.
    And how are they going to replace these cars with very little income ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Think we had a thread on Taxi drivers on here some time ago, for the most part I find them fine bar the oddly high proportion of racists I have met.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Have used taxis numerous times to get home from a night out, never had trouble, drivers were fairly very nice, would chat away to ya, the only thing i would have trouble with is the price!! it's about €50 out to Kilmac!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I generally find Dublin taxi drivers easier to talk to, but that's probably because the industry up there has gone to the dogs so they're more than happy to chat away to you since they wait so long for one.

That's not to say Waterford taximen are ****s are anything. Never had a particularly bad experience and prices for the most part are OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

slainte1 wrote: »

I never had any problems. They have always been polite, but then I'm also a polite customer.

As for the vehicles, they get me home safely. I guess that means they are fit for purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Some Taxi's and drivers are great, some are not. Some posters on boards are great, some are not. This is life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

ziedth wrote: »
    Think we had a thread on Taxi drivers on here some time ago, for the most part I find them fine bar the oddly high proportion of racists I have met.

I have to agree on the racist part.

I have actually told the driver to stop two times and got out as i could not stand their racist outbursts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I use Waterford Hackney quite a lot and find them to be pretty good, all local drivers as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

moonboy52 wrote: »
    I have to agree on the racist part.

I have actually told the driver to stop two times and got out as i could not stand their racist outbursts.
    I often combat the racism by trying start a conversation and being really upbeat about all the migrant workers who are willing to come to the country and earn a wage rather than sit at home on welfare. Eyes are nearly popping out of their heads with rage by time I get to my destination.

If I'm not in a hurry, I tend to use one company in particular (Premier Taxis) who have personable drivers and clean cars but when I need to get somewhere fast I'm forced to use Rapid Cabs because they have the most cars on the road at once, which is where the problems tend to begin. I'm not going to go into detail but with that company I've often had cases of drivers "forgetting" to turn on the meter and then attempt to charge me more than what the journey usually costs, rounding up the cost of what's on the meter or lately some drivers have gone past my house and turned around at the top of the road so that they'll be facing the opposite direction to my destination.

It's not just Waterford though. I've been given the runaround in Dublin too and have had to put up with racist conversations in Cork and dirty unroadworthy cars in Galway. There has to be much more regulation in the industry nationwide. There definitely has to be strict tests on road knowledge - it's a bit ridiculous to have to give street by street directions to "hard to find" places like John's Park to taxi drivers in a city as small as Waterford.

ANY taxi driver who thinks John's Park is difficult to find needs to have their car taken away, handed a bike and sent home.

The problem I run into most is when I say "Ashley Drive, Cherrymount" and they start bringing me to the Ashley Avenue up the back of town. I've had arguments for a good 5 mins where he refuses to accept I know the directions to my house.

Another! Get in at Apache with the lads. "Grange Heights please". So he turns left down towards the quay, and when I said I want him to turn right NOW and go up the folly instead, he remained adamant that "this way is faster". Asked to get out and walked the rest of the way instead.

And again! Keep remembering these.
    There was the one guy who didn't talk at all, just nodded every now and then. We got to the top of Cherrymount and turned into the estate(anyone who's been there knows the basic layout), and then ask him to let me out once we turn left here as my house is top of the road. He nods. And goes right past my house. I ask him where the feck he's going. He nods. He proceeds to go down right to the back of the estate, turn around, come right back up and then stop. Fare was €8.50. I opened the door and gave him €7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 John Sample

I prefer to drive myself, or to walk.

Advertisement