Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGDE in England

• 20-06-2011 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I have, this year, done the PGDE (got my results last week and passed...yay!). I was unable to secure a teaching post in Ireland

(surprise surprise-despite sending out about 80 cv/cover letters directly to schools (not advertising a post) and about 20 cvs/cover letters in response to online advertisements)

but have almost secured a teaching post in England.

However, i'm wondering what the situation is with the PGDE in England?

I understand people doing the PGCE have to do a 12 month stint in a school to get their qualification - does something like that apply with the PGDE?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dazzeremo

i have heard of something like that being the case. i suppose the difference is at least over there (it looks like) you'll have work. as opposed to having a PGDE over here and not working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

Hi,

I have, this year, done the PGDE (got my results last week and passed...yay!). I was unable to secure a teaching post in Ireland

(surprise surprise-despite sending out about 80 cv/cover letters directly to schools (not advertising a post) and about 20 cvs/cover letters in response to online advertisements)

but have almost secured a teaching post in England.

However, i'm wondering what the situation is with the PGDE in England?

I understand people doing the PGCE have to do a 12 month stint in a school to get their qualification - does something like that apply with the PGDE?

cheers

I know of a lot of people taking up jobs in England directly after completing their PGDE here so there doesn't seem to be any issue. However, as you would be only conditionally registered (I'm assuming) with the TC here, if you haven't done your PQE, it might be a case of being on a lower rate of pay when you work in England. From what I remember, in order to be fully recognised in England if you are foreign trained, you need to be fully recognised in the country in which you trained.

I'm open to correction though.

Advertisement