Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boarding Kennels in Dublin/Kildare area..help :(

• 20-06-2011 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi

I am going away so I am looking to put my 8 month old pug into a boarding kennel. I am really dreading this but its my only option.. :(
    I looked a Doonane dog kennels in Saggart and Hollygrove Kennels in Newcastle. Both seemed ok and the owners seemed nice but they are both very different. Doonane has mainly outdoor pens with little sheds in each pen for the dog to sleep in. Each pen is seperated by a wooden fence and has grass/bark floors. Its in a field. Then theres Hollygrove which has indoor concrete pens..in a big stable type of thing. My dilema is that I cant choose between the two, both have pros and cons. Doonane is mainly outdoors but the dog can see other dogs plus the owners seem really friendly. The only thing is is that Im not too keen on him being outdoors all the time as hes an indoor type of dog. Then theres Hollygrove, that seemed really friendly too, but very clean and the dog would be indoors. But the only downside to this one is that they can't see other dogs as they are concrete pens, so my worry is that he would be just left there all day with nothing to look at. So I was wondering if any of you had experience with either of these or even know of any good kennels in the Dublin/Kildare area...that would be suitable for an indoor pampered pup :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Kennels often have concrete walls between pens on purpose for the dogs comfort. Dogs don't always get along, it can be stressful for two dogs to be put so close together in a new environment. They will react to each other through a fence, you'll get males p'ing into each others runs, little disagreements etc. I personally would not use a kennel without a concrete wall between the runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I've used Hollygrove in Newcastle a few times, and both my girls were content & happy with the place. They are both very much indoor dogs, and I brought their blanket with for them to sleep on while they were there.

They shared a pen, so were company for each other.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement