Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurants

Options
  • 20-06-2011 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭

Hi All ,

Starting to eat out more often now in Restaurants , so looking for a few recommendations for my next meal out, Was in cookes wine bar on Sat night and must say it was very nice and very affordable aswell.

Any recommendations and price guides aswell:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Check out the "Best" sticky. I'd recommend most of the suggestions there.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

just went for food in the millhouse.where the bridge mills are.highly recommended, cheap quality food.its my second time there now and both times i was very satisfied

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

just went for food in the millhouse.where the bridge mills are.highly recommended, cheap quality food.its my second time there now and both times i was very satisfied

Good to hear! I used to go there when it was Mustard and have tried there 3 times since they've changed over. I found their consistency lacking, the menu is in flux, and vowed to take a break for a few months until they work out the kinks with their new menu/chefs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

prices?
    What does cheap mean when it comes to Galway restaurants?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Inky_Lady

Think mains vary from around €10- 15 (15 for steak&chips), glass of wine is around €5. Not 100% on prices because we've only been there on Wed when they do 2 mains for price of 1 deal, great value dinner at that price! It's a pretty restaurant, which is a bonus.

As regards other nice eateries, I've been to McGinn's on the docks lately and enjoyed their food. You can eat upstairs(far more expensive and formal) or downstairs in the bar. Some of the food is good value (ie burger is around 9, lamb sausage and mash around the same) but some seems comparatively expensive. Service is very friendly and efficient and it's in a nice spot. Usually it's quiet too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

snubbleste wrote: »
    prices?
    What does cheap mean when it comes to Galway restaurants?

what inky lady said, dont think you'll find good quality food around galway for cheaper than that.but i could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Has anyone tried the new Kai restaurant on Sea Road. I've heard some good reports but haven't been there yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

Cookes Wine Bar last Friday
    4 starters
    4 Main Courses
    2 Cokes
    1 Sprite
    4 Bulmers

121.70e

I thought thats was fantastic value

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

dilallio wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the new Kai restaurant on Sea Road. I've heard some good reports but haven't been there yet?

I passed by the other day and decided to have a look at the menu. I was a little shocked at their prices tbh (not in a good way). However, I haven't eaten there so I won't judge yet. Robbo highly recommends the place so i'll give it a shot before I judge... but i'm just hoping that the food is worth the prices I saw on the menu

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jmauel

The food is incredible at Kai. I cant speak for all the dishes, but I had the best steak there two weeks ago that I've ever had in a restaurant. Also my partners choices were fab and the crab starter was incredible.
    Jessica is the chef/ owner who previously worked for Ard Bia and Bar Eight. In fact since she left Bar Eight the food quality has noticebly dropped.
    I hope they keep their standard high, and I hope their venture goes well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

jmauel wrote: »
    The food is incredible at Kai. I cant speak for all the dishes, but I had the best steak there two weeks ago that I've ever had in a restaurant. Also my partners choices were fab and the crab starter was incredible.
    Jessica is the chef/ owner who previously worked for Ard Bia and Bar Eight. In fact since she left Bar Eight the food quality has noticebly dropped.
    I hope they keep their standard high, and I hope their venture goes well.

Can you provide prices for the things you bought? Just to give an idea/fair comparison with other establishments

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

+1 on Kai. Ate there recently and it was the best food I've had in Galway in quite a while. My friend and I both had delicious starters and equally, if not even tastier mains followed by baileys coffees for dessert. The bill with a really nice bottle of wine came to €100. I thought it was good value for the quality of the food. Service was lovely too - attentive but not pestery.

I'd go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Inky_Lady

Thanks, Aurora. Sounds like it would be good for a special occasion, I loved the food at bar 8 when the same chef (Jessica?) worked there.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jmauel

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Can you provide prices for the things you bought? Just to give an idea/fair comparison with other establishments

To be honest I cant remember offhand , maybe 100/110 but we got two starters, 2 mains, shared a dessert, lovely bottle of wine and 2 espressos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Got starters, mains & desserts for 7 people and 3 bottles of wine for 120 in Malta last week. It wasn't your generic holiday crap either (fillet steaks etc) and was delicious.

Food for thought?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Got starters, mains & desserts for 7 people and 3 bottles of wine for 120 in Malta last week. It wasn't your generic holiday crap either (fillet steaks etc) and was delicious.

Yeah, there's a bit of a gap between our GDP and Malta's alright :D

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20110621/local/malta-s-gdp-between-10-and-20-below-eu-average.371736

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I'll see your 10 - 20% and raise you 350% (feeding 7 people instead of 2).

I see your point about wage levels, standard of living etc but my primary concern is money in my pocket.

I have seen the menu in Kai and will be giving it a try as I enjoyed the food in 8. It will have to be a treat though.

Has anyone tried the pancakes in the new cafe at the museum, orgasmic is an understatement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Galway is still very expensive for eating out and for staying.
    If I were a tourist I would'nt be coming here..

Hopefully all restaurants will be reducing their menu prices by 4.5% as the new vat rate kicks in next friday.

Advertisement