Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Carlow

Options
  • 20-06-2011 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All,
    Just to ask anyone in the locallity of Carlow a number of questions.... what local papers do lettings? When does it come out? and Town vs countryside...if you had the choice, which area would you pick to live in?

I am moving down these next two weeks..... totally blind because I do not know Carlow.

Hope someone can help

K x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

The carlow nationalist and leinster leader both serve carlow and come out on tuesday. Alternatively both have websites so you can check them anytime. I'm not sure if you have to pay for the online edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kerpebbles

Thank you Lucy. I'll check them out on line... a least its a head start. Cheers again.

K x

Your most welcome. Maybe you should also check daft.ie. They normally have a lot of listings and you get to see a few photo's of a place before you ring or go see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

lucyfur09 wrote: »
    The carlow nationalist and leinster leader both serve carlow and come out on tuesday. Alternatively both have websites so you can check them anytime. I'm not sure if you have to pay for the online edition.
    Not sure about the Leinster Leader, never get it. It's really a Kildare paper but could have some Carlow ads.

Carlow Nationalist print copy is released on Wed,
    The Carlow People on Tue.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Not sure about the Leinster Leader, never get it. It's really a Kildare paper but could have some Carlow ads.

Carlow Nationalist print copy is released on Wed,
    The Carlow People on Tue.
    I forgot the Carlow People.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

the Carlow people and Nationalist are both out Tuesday mornings now

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

patrickc wrote: »
    the Carlow people and Nationalist are both out Tuesday mornings now

Yeah i'd say the nationalist is probably the more common for listings and as you say both are out on a Tuesday now.

regarding renting in the town a couple of notes I'd throw in are:
    A lot of rental properties, particularly flats are located on the banks of the river Barrow and the streets if not the buildings are prone to flooding every Winter (they are currently trying to remedy this)

The town is currently being dug up for these drainage works so bear this in mind if you will have to drive across town for work etc.

carlow is a college town and if you want a quiet spot to rent keep in mind that the estates near the IT may be filled by students come September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

The Nationalist is your best source, especially if you want to avoid agencies. Daft is full of agency listings and short on private landlords, the Nationalist is the opposite. Contrary to what some landlords might tell you, it's a renters market out there now, at least in Carlow it is. Many houses are listed for 3-4 weeks before they are let.

Also worth noting that many private landlords renting flats are still trying to charge too much - living in 2007 maybe. The agents are actually cheaper than private landlords when it comes to flats.

Prices vary but not by a whole lot. A 3 bed house will set you back €600-€700, but any 3 bed asking €700 would need to be perfect, and there aren't many that reach that quality in Carlow anymore. A two bed flat would be €550-€650, but as with houses, it would need to be a luxury flat to warrant €650.

The condition of properties varies, but two thirds of the properties you look at will be in poor condition - dirty and in need of a paint job. That's what I experienced anyway. My advice: be very picky.

Advertisement