Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request for help

Options
  • 20-06-2011 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

As per my post in my restoration thread (sailing & boating)

1. I am wondering if there is anyone near me (Sligo, Roscommon, Mayo) with a table saw that I could use for 20 minutes. I need to mill some 2-1/2 x 3/4 softwood. I'm finding it a difficult size to source in hardware / builders etc so I may as well mil it myself.

2. I removed the old side keels from the boat recently. I would like to replace these and get the project back underway. One of the old keel timbers may be workable and recyclable, but the other definitely needs replacing. So I need either 1 or 2 pieces of hardwood 1200 x 50 x 90 mm. If anyone has any scrap hardwood lying around, even thinner pieces that I can biscuit join or whatever I'd be very grateful. I can make a small financial contribution if it helps, but bear in mind I am unemployed and stone broke. Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

dnme, I would dearly love to help you but I am in Wicklow - if there is any way that you can get here, my workshack and machines are at your disposal and there's plenty of hardwood around.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

slowburner wrote: »
    dnme, I would dearly love to help you but I am in Wicklow - if there is any way that you can get here, my workshack and machines are at your disposal and there's plenty of hardwood around.:)

bless you sb, I'll bear it in mind.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I have a table saw in my "workshop" between Charlestown and Curry, but it's an Aldi special, so I don't know if it's good enough for what you need. I'd also have to check with the guy who owns the place, but I'd imagine he'd be cool with it.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I have a table saw in my "workshop" between Charlestown and Curry, but it's an Aldi special, so I don't know if it's good enough for what you need. I'd also have to check with the guy who owns the place, but I'd imagine he'd be cool with it.

many thanks ob, i'll keep you in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mattwoodturner

Hi,

I'm in Riverstown. I have a table saw planer thicknesser and bandsaw etc. You'd be welcome. I'm interested in boat building too so would be glad to help. Im away on Holiday for two weeks but give me a call if it suits.

Matt

• Advertisement

Hi,

I'm in Riverstown. I have a table saw planer thicknesser and bandsaw etc. You'd be welcome. I'm interested in boat building too so would be glad to help. Im away on Holiday for two weeks but give me a call if it suits
    Matt

Matt,

Many thanks, I'll send you a pm. Edit your post and take out your phone number when you get a minute.

Folks

I'm still stuck on this, a few offers so far have fallen through. I need to borrow a table saw for about 4 mins to rip some 7x1 4ft lengths pine into 3x1. I've about 15 to do.

Also looking to source any hardwood off cuts that anyone may have lying around spare. I am restoring an old boat and need to replace the hull stringers (roughly 1"x2"or similar in varying lengths from 2ft to 4ft etc. I'll take anything I can get though. Also need to redo the strakes on the side of the boat - again hardwood 2x2 or similar.

I'm in Co. Sligo and can travel the county and Leitrim, Roscommon, Mayo etc.

Many thanks if anyone can help

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Offer still stands, for what it's worth.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Offer still stands, for what it's worth.

Many thanks OB, I'll just hold out for matt who's back from hols on the 12th and is in Riverstown, so only up the road from me. He sent me a text tonight. Very grateful to you all the same.

Got sorted with the hardwood ->, many thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement