Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old cat not eating - what to do?

• 20-06-2011 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

I know I can call the vet but I've been down this path before many times over the years. When an animal got old and started to fail the vet would give it a shot of steroids and perk it right up. Eventually we ended up with pets that were like walking corpses because we couldn't face nature taking it's course or euthansia

Ivan is 15 and has been hungry for all 15 years. He's never missed a meal and now he hasn't eaten for 2 days. I've tried all his favourites and boiled and chopped chicken breasts to no avail. He has taken milk and water though. He doesn't seem to be in pain and is happy to sleep under the table or in the middle of the kitchen stretched out and relaxed. (he's never been a cuddler more the scratching type) He just won't eat!

What I want is opinions as I know if I call the vet he will offer me steroids or to put him down. I find both distressing but the steroids less so. Letting nature take it's course is an otion but not one I'm familiar with after nearly 40 years of pets.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Grawns, is this all your vet has ever offered you-steroids with no explanation as to why?

If my normally voracious 15 year old cat stopped eating for 2 days id be straight to the vet and demand a full health workup. It literally could be anything at his age; tooth/gum problems, cancer, renal failure, oesophageal stricture/foreign body, inflammatory bowel disease...the list is endless.

The "letting nature take its course" is not fair on him as it could take many many days or weeks for him to succumb to whatever he has. Not nice!Euthanasia is the kindest and most humane thing we can do for an animal thats suffering.Surely he deserves better than a quick shot of steroids and hope for the best. If your vet is not doing at a minimum a blood work up on a cat that old, id be demanding a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Please call another vet, your current vet does not sound too willing to investigate problems. It could be something so simple as a sore tooth that needs extracting. For the time being make sure he keeps drinking to prevent him from becoming dehydrated. What area are you in? Someone might be able to reccommend a good vet in your area as it sounds like your current one isin't too great.

What are his drinking habits like? Does he seem to drink a lot? Is he losing weight? If you can, open his mouth and check if there is a very strong odour coming from his mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Thanks guys. I will check out his breath and see about the vet tommorow. He had a load of teeth taken out a fw years ago so that's a possibilty. There are now a number of vets in the practice so I will make sure to get one of the young new ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Renal failure is pretty common in older cats- I'd be looking for blood tests and further investigations to be done if it was my cat. If your vet doesn't offer this sort of service, find another one (I'm sure someone on here can recommend someone in your area, or ask friends of yours who own cats).
    Good luck, and my advice is not to delay- an old cat not eating for a couple days can deteriorate very fast.

He's booked in with the vet tonight ( Cara Pet Clinic). I checked with my sister as she got him as a kitten and he is nearly 17. She's coming with me in case it's goodbye! I'm sure they will admit him. He has been drinking water but vomited. My dog cut his foot open in the park today, he's fine now but there's blood everywhere. Pet stress :(

• Advertisement

Oh no sorry Grawns...but at least you're getting him checked over! Dont give up hope yet ok and good luck ;)

Glad to hear he's being checked over but don't give up hope. Whatever the prognosis come home and think it through for a night or two before deciding anything. That way then you have a chance to think and research with a clearer mind.

Hope it all goes well, will be thinking of you. x

Just back and it's not that hopeful but not hopeless. we're having some tests. It's either a tumour, liver failure or heart disease, only heart disease is treatable. He's staying in the vets for the time being. Should know if he will live by lunchtime tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Our 12 year old cat stopped eating one day a few months ago. We took him to the vet & got him a load of shots. He just went very quiet & got weaker & weaker & unfortunately he died a week later. It was just his time.

He'd had a good life & was very well cared for. I prefer that he had 12 great years of life than 12 good ones & an extra 2 or 3 of him being in pain & constantly being given booster shots to keep him going for another few months every time he got ill.

Our 12 year old cat stopped eating one day a few months ago. We took him to the vet & got him a load of shots. He just went very quiet & got weaker & weaker & unfortunately he died a week later. It was just his time.

He'd had a good life & was very well cared for. I prefer that he had 12 great years of life than 12 good ones & an extra 2 or 3 of him being in pain & constantly being given booster shots to keep him going for another few months every time he got ill.

I agree and won't be going down the steroid route ever again.

• Advertisement

Very sad but it was cancer and untreatable so I consented to euthanasia. He was a character and will be missed and fondly remembered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

Very sorry for your loss Grawns.

They become so much more than "just a pet", its always hard when you have to say goodbye. It sounds like he had a great life and has left you with loads of happy memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

I am so sorry..:(

Very sorry to hear this. RIP Ivan. x :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

He looked like a little looper. His pain is over anyway Grawns.

RIP Ivan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

RIP Ivan, he looked like he was well looked after and had a good time..

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rabbit.84

Sad to hear it but at least he didnt suffer. He was a very nice looking cat. I hope mine lives to that age too!

Truly sorry for your loss Grawns. I thanked your post because as you said...
    Grawns wrote: »
    He was a character .

He looked liked a total mischievous fella who had a great life. :p

You did the best thing you could have ever done for him. Losing a pet is so hard for everyone but euthanasia is the one thing us humans can do, that animals cant, to prevent a really miserable end. Fair play to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭ruben

Really sorry to read this.
    Run free Ivan babe.

Thanks everyone. Ivan was "Ivan the terrible" he was a rescue cat and to late to socialize when we got him aged 6 weeks but a lot of fun. It's really hard saying goodbye and it was my first time to have the final call.

I've decided to get a new cat or maybe 2 soon. Can't be without a kitty :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

So sorry to hear of your loss, Grawns. :(
    My cat is 15 and not at all well now, weight loss, not as much appetite, and diarrhoea.
    I'm currently waiting for the result of his test results so I know what you must have been going through, although it's different for everyone of course. I am praying it will be good news but if not I hope I can handle any tough decisions as well as you did with Ivan.
    You did the kindest thing for him and may he RIP. xxx

Posy wrote: »
    So sorry to hear of your loss, Grawns. :(
    My cat is 15 and not at all well now, weight loss, not as much appetite, and diarrhoea.
    I'm currently waiting for the result of his test results so I know what you must have been going through, although it's different for everyone of course. I am praying it will be good news but if not I hope I can handle any tough decisions as well as you did with Ivan.
    You did the kindest thing for him and may he RIP. xxx

I'm sorry to hear that Posy, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. We've had our tears but he was a good age and had a great life and no suffering. We should all be so lucky. Fingers crossed that you get good news. I've had cats that lived well into their 20's.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

Sorry for your loss, you carry their memories forever though and he sounds like a character. I do hope you get a new kitty or two.

Advertisement