Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cows not showing heat

• 20-06-2011 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭

I got the vet to handle 8 cows 2 weeks ago and another 7 today because there was no sign of heat by any of them.
    We estrumated 5 and coiled 3 of the first lot. 3 that were injected showed heat and one showed after the 2nd shot. None of the coiled ones showed heat but were AI'd anyway.
    Of the 7 today, 5 were estrumated and one coiled and one was in calf(:rolleyes: bull broke out for 5 minutes).

My question is this. All the cows injected with estrumate were cycling but no sign of heat. What could cause this?
    My heat detection is good(i hope:)), they are all tail painted and there is a vasectonised bull running with them but there was no sign of any heat on their backs.
    I am very confused at them cycling but not showing up in heat:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭stanflt

5live wrote: »
    I got the vet to handle 8 cows 2 weeks ago and another 7 today because there was no sign of heat by any of them.
    We estrumated 5 and coiled 3 of the first lot. 3 that were injected showed heat and one showed after the 2nd shot. None of the coiled ones showed heat but were AI'd anyway.
    Of the 7 today, 5 were estrumated and one coiled and one was in calf(:rolleyes: bull broke out for 5 minutes).

My question is this. All the cows injected with estrumate were cycling but no sign of heat. What could cause this?
    My heat detection is good(i hope:)), they are all tail painted and there is a vasectonised bull running with them but there was no sign of any heat on their backs.
    I am very confused at them cycling but not showing up in heat:confused:

do you estrumate the coiled cows on day 7 or just rely on coils

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

stanflt wrote: »
    do you estrumate the coiled cows on day 7 or just rely on coils
    Estrumate on day 8 and coils out, AI on heat or on day 11 with another injection(something like receptal iirc?) if they dont show heat

Thought i'd bring it back up as the next batch i used prids on haven't shown heat again. So tomorrow i'm inseminating 3 more and a shot of Dalmarellin im.
    The programme says 30% in calf if bulled on day 11 with a shot of dalmarellin but i'd say the pregnancy rate here is close enough to 0 on this programme in the last 2 years.

Anybody use anything else or use prids differently:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

Thought i'd bring it back up as the next batch i used prids on haven't shown heat again. So tomorrow i'm inseminating 3 more and a shot of Dalmarellin im.
    The programme says 30% in calf if bulled on day 11 with a shot of dalmarellin but i'd say the pregnancy rate here is close enough to 0 on this programme in the last 2 years.

Anybody use anything else or use prids differently:confused:

I did that last year against the advice of the AI technician, got 3 out of 7, so was worth it, I think. Did you scan to see how things are mechanically. How is condition and solids, OAD milking will cure any problems don't you know:rolleyes:

What size needles do you use, I read on a US site that longer needles give better results, they break easier too tho.

I did that last year against the advice of the AI technician, got 3 out of 7, so was worth it, I think. Did you scan to see how things are mechanically. How is condition and solids, OAD milking will cure any problems don't you know:rolleyes:

What size needles do you use, I read on a US site that longer needles give better results, they break easier too tho.
    My vet scanned them and all clear she said. Condition is good and solids at around herd average. None had hard calvings and all cleaned well. Just no activity in the ovaries.

I use 3/4 in needles. I suppose longer needles reduce the chance of a bleed carrying the drugs out of the muscle. Might be worth trying though.

At this stage i migh even try homeopathy:o

Nah, think i'll drink the money instead;)

OAD i tried before and half the cows dried up so i may give that a miss. I wouldnt mind but for the first time in years i supplemented with minerals orally because of the same thing last year. At least the ones bulling are holding

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

OAD i tried before and half the cows dried up so i may give that a miss.

I wouldnt mind but for the first time in years i supplemented with minerals orally because of the same thing last year. At least the ones bulling are holding

What!!:eek: Does Jack know about this?:rolleyes:

Lets us know how you get one, with small numbers you could get all or none IYKWIM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Are they on a "rising plane of nutrition"?

Outside of the normal suspects like disease, minerals etc, they're are certain things that 'trigger' heat. Mother nature still has a big say in things. 1000's of years of evolution still at work here.
    Have you noticed that cows seem to show the strongest heat on fine summer days, in a good field of grass. An extra intake of feed and sunshine on their back really get things going.

Maybe you could give them an extra bit of meal?
    Have you a chin-ball marker on the teaser bull?

Lol at Jack Kennedy:D:D. I dont think it would be possible to parody him.

The teaser has a chin ball alright. Best money i spent i think:)

They are on a good level of nutrition, probably should have topped last round but not able so it will have to wait till next round.

At least the silent cycling ones mostly come in after 2 shots of estrumate but i am starting to wonder if i am wasting money on prids:(

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭dasheriff

5 im having the exact same trouble and it has me at my wits end..estrumated 6 only 2 showed any sign of heat so i AI'd them coiling 7 more today im hoping strongly it will work, i had the bull with the main herd and he is after getting hurt so i have to AI the rest of them aswell:(

dasheriff wrote: »
    5 im having the exact same trouble and it has me at my wits end..estrumated 6 only 2 showed any sign of heat so i AI'd them coiling 7 more today im hoping strongly it will work, i had the bull with the main herd and he is after getting hurt so i have to AI the rest of them aswell:(
    I was talking to one or two around me as well with the same problem last night. Its nearly getting to the stage where i stop coiling and just hope they come in themselves. I think i will take a blood on monday when i handle the rest and see if anything unusually low or high comes back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

noticed a few heifers going to dairy last week even though bulls are with them since 2/5 i suspect the cold weather might have something to do with it, nature dosnt work according to calender

Advertisement