Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One year lease is expired six months ago. How much notice?

Options
  • 20-06-2011 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

We have been renting an apartment for about a year and a a half. We initially only signed a one year lease. This was not renewed after expiration and the landlord never approached us about another lease so we just continued renting on the same basis. How much notice do we have to give in this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

There's a really useful table here on Citizens Information that tells you the minimum notice period depending on how long you've been renting.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/types_of_tenancy.html#l1f4da

At this point, the fact that the lease has expired means you can disregard it and anything in it. You just need to go by the notice periods outlined on that page instead. In your case it seems to be 42 days notice so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Your lease has turned into a Periodic lease and runs from rent period to rent period (i.e. monthly, if you pay the rent by the month). A periodic lease has all the force of a Part 4 lease plus and any other (legal) terms and conditions that were in the original Fixed Term lease.

Because the tenancy runs on a monthly basis (i.e. at the end of each rent period, a new Periodic tenancy commences) you only have to give a month's notice. Do this in writing and keep a copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭pychofairy

Thanks for the replies! Very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

odds_on wrote: »
    Your lease has turned into a Periodic lease and runs from rent period to rent period (i.e. monthly, if you pay the rent by the month). A periodic lease has all the force of a Part 4 lease plus and any other (legal) terms and conditions that were in the original Fixed Term lease.

Because the tenancy runs on a monthly basis (i.e. at the end of each rent period, a new Periodic tenancy commences) you only have to give a month's notice. Do this in writing and keep a copy.
    It's actually 42 days but landlords may agree to 30 days.

Advertisement