Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meaning of their grading systems

Options
  • 20-06-2011 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭

I am hoping to clear something up here. When graduating I will receive a degree based on my QCA. This will be in the form of a 1.1, 1.2, 2.1, 2.2 (descending in value).

So just how do the cut offs work? I've heard lots of different cutoffs such as QCA 2.7 for a 2.1 degree?

It's important for applying for Hdip etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭breedie

Hi Eldwaro,

AFAIK the academic guidelines are;
    QCA 2.00-2.6 = 3rd class honours; 2.6 - 3.0 is a 2.2; 3.0-3.4 is a 2.1 and anything over 3.40 is a first.
    There is no such thing as a 1.2. The board also has a certain amount of discretion if you are borderline. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

Breedie, what do you mean by the board has a certain amount of discretion if you are borderline for a first? I got 3.36 and am absolutely sickened that I missed out on a first!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

fionav3 wrote: »
    Breedie, what do you mean by the board has a certain amount of discretion if you are borderline for a first? I got 3.36 and am absolutely sickened that I missed out on a first!

If your within .1 or something, you have grounds to appeal and the board may award you with a 1.1. Ask the Education Officer here for more info http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055767345&page=10
    well done on getting such a high qca though, great achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

breedie wrote: »
    Hi Eldwaro,

AFAIK the academic guidelines are;
    QCA 2.00-2.6 = 3rd class honours; 2.6 - 3.0 is a 2.2; 3.0-3.4 is a 2.1 and anything over 3.40 is a first.
    There is no such thing as a 1.2. The board also has a certain amount of discretion if you are borderline. Hope this helps.

thanks and millions for that! good to have an idea now what im aiming for...may aswell aim high!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

whats the story with qca's...am I right in understanding, your qca from first year is irrelevant in second year, ie. you get a clean slate....

but from second year on, your qca is carried forward each year ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

iPwnage wrote: »
    whats the story with qca's...am I right in understanding, your qca from first year is irrelevant in second year, ie. you get a clean slate....

but from second year on, your qca is carried forward each year ?

Yes and Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

So can someone explain to me how my final degree QCA is worked out, just got my final results and I'd like to know how to calculate the grades into a QCA. Do I have to go back and add up QCA's since second year or just total the values of the letter grades from this semester and divide for the average? Totally confused so any advice is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Your qca should be on your transcript when you checked your results.

But if you want to know how they arrived at this qca would be better if you threw up your results, their credits and weighted factor for 2nd, 3rd and 4th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

yesno1234 wrote: »
    If your within .1 or something, you have grounds to appeal and the board may award you with a 1.1. Ask the Education Officer here for more info http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055767345&page=10
    well done on getting such a high qca though, great achievement.

Thanks, I'll do that! :)

Advertisement