Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Books

Options
  • 20-06-2011 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

Hi there

Have a daughter starting secondary school this Sept and am shocked at the price of the books - had a look around and her book list new would cost approx €350 :eek:

Anyone more experienced got any tips to get a better deal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Log on to AXA

Go to Axa plus section

At the bottom is www.wiseowls.ie

Type in AXA10 for a 10% discount - not much but it might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 0230774

This site could be of help!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 danny50

Schoolbooks.ie have 10% if u are a supervalue customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Kevvv

Give this guy a call 01-8335839. He's in clontarf and does great deals. He ales buys books at good prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Kevvv

Forgot te mention he does free deliveries as far as I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

dubsgirl wrote: »
    Anyone more experienced got any tips to get a better deal?

See if any of the books are available secondhand and seek them out. You can save up to 40 or 50% on the new price depending on where you buy them. Unfortunately there are a lot of books that get updated regularly so be careful when hunting for secondhands that you acquire the right editions.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

Obviously 2nd hand is the cheapest - check with neighbours & friends to see if any of them have some & see if the school does a 2nd book sale.

For new books, I used an online site for "Joyces Bookstore" (google them), they are based in Galway

No connection, just a very happy customer as he really went above & beyond the call of duty for me last year.

He also offers 10% off, will do his best to get in books not listed on their site & can cover for about €1 per book. Really handy to get everything delievered to your door in one go....he can also provide most copies & stationary needed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

schoolbookexchange.ie might be of help.
    Its basically site for buying and selling second hand books, there isn't a huge amount of books on it but I'd imagine after the exams should get some more on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Michaeljoy

Hi, myself and a few lads set up this: http://www.nationalbookexchange.ie We are collecting our own school's books on Friday after the exams are over and hopefully will have them all up in the following week!

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Michaeljoy wrote: »
    Hi, myself and a few lads set up this: http://www.nationalbookexchange.ie We are collecting our own school's books on Friday after the exams are over and hopefully will have them all up in the following week!

Your site look great! I will certainly check back there when you have more books to offer - thanks :)

• Advertisement

Cool! Will let you know here when we get them posted up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Michaeljoy wrote: »

That's a great idea, I will check back when you have more. Good luck with it.

Hi, We just put about 100 books up on our website and will have more coming in throughout the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 marco2011

I notice abcbooks.ie will cover them for free and also give free delivery above 250. Might work out cheaper than some of the other discounts out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

marco2011 wrote: »
    I notice abcbooks.ie will cover them for free and also give free delivery above 250. Might work out cheaper than some of the other discounts out there.

That sounds like a good deal, I've got 2 in primary school and one starting secondary school so I reckon I'll be spending well more than that unfortunately:(

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭magicEye

ABCbookshop.ie - free covers with code TXTFBC until 15th July. Free shipping over €250.00 , €6.50 otherwise (they offer free delivery to a couple of shops as well)

O Mahony's have 6% off until end of June and free delivery for orders over €59 I think.

Schoolbooks.ie have 10% if you have a Supervalu clubcard, delivery is €3.00 (for 1 item), €5.50 (for 2 items), €6.50 (3 items or more).

www.tonyclarke.ie - 7% off until end of July (with code WOW7), 0.65c for book cover, free shipping on orders over €59.

Hope this helps,

Magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

Little A wrote: »
    For new books, I used an online site for "Joyces Bookstore" (google them), they are based in Galway

No connection, just a very happy customer as he really went above & beyond the call of duty for me last year.

Brendan (I think that's the main guys name) doesn't half put his heart into it! :) Good experiences that make me go back time and time again!

On the subject of who are giving the best deals - including the aforementioned - you should check out schooldays.ie ~ http://www.schooldays.ie/articles/school-books ~ who seem to be keeping track of who is offering what deals.
    They also have a secondhand book section where you contact the person who has the book and arrange delivery amongst yourselves - but as said before Check the version is right - I got it wrong before.

Now to have some strong coffee before I price the booklist I have :(

Advertisement