Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sram warranty

• 20-06-2011 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭

I was 5 kilometers into a spin today when my Sram Rival RH shifter snapped clean off.
    I know Sram offer a 2 year warranty. Does anyone have experience with getting replacement components via the warranty? Any idea how long will it take to get a replacement?
    Worst thing is it's my only bike. I was planning on doing the TdK 160 & this looks like it'll screw up my training!

Pic below is not of my bike but it shows exactly what happened to mine.

100_0060.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

As far a I know SRAM have a 2 year warranty period but you would still need to go through where you bought the bike.

I was lucky in that Planet X just posted me a new Rival shifter and my LBS fitted it, no problems. Would have cost €200+ for my LBS to do it from scratch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Go to your local bike shop. I had a similar issue with the RH Rival lever, it didn't come off but it's internals broke. Once I gave it to my LBS, it took a week to get it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

These guys are the distributors in Ireland. Get on to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Thanks for the feedback lads!

I actually bought the bike in Halfords (Boardman TC) so I guess I'll have to go through them. I'll give the distributors Diarmuid linked to a call first though just in case they'll deal with it directly. God knows how long Halfords will take to organise replacing it :rolleyes:

Why not try Halfords first? They might have a spare one in shop, worth a shot anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Halfords will get you one, convincing them it "just snapped" will be another thing.

BTW did you feel it going or anything, thats the front shifter, Im not suprised considering the tension needed to get the front mech to work right! That and the fact Sram want 1 lever to do twice the work.

kona wrote: »
    Halfords will get you one, convincing them it "just snapped" will be another thing.

There's no cosmetic damage to the brake lever or hood so they can't accuse me of damaging it by crashing or the like.
    BTW did you feel it going or anything

Worked perfect when I last went for a spin which was last Saturday. 5km into a ride today & the lever suddenly started to feel squidgy. I was trying to switch to a lower gear but it switched into the 12t instead & the lever just snapped.
    thats the front shifter

Mine was the RHS/rear shifter. That pic above is not of my shifter, it's one I found online with an identical problem with the LHS shifter.
    Im not suprised considering the tension needed to get the front mech to work right!

I know what you mean, I have that issue with my LHS shifter too!

Dubba wrote: »
    Why not try Halfords first? They might have a spare one in shop, worth a shot anyway.

The nearest Halfords to me (Kilkenny) doesn't have a workshop as far as I know. They send all mechanical issues to Carlow where they have a Bikehut outlet. No harm in asking though I guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Take it back to Halfords. You won't have any issues convincing them about the broken shifter. It's a relatively common problem with Rival shifters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

That fault is a "known" fault with some of the older SRAM stock. Had it happen to me and the UK distributor replaced the shifter without much question. I dealt with Fisher.

If Halfords will do it though, it'll probably be quicker. While Fisher weren't slow, there is still the time to post over and get it back, and if you are like me, it'll be a while before getting to a post office :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

While it may be a common fault, and from experience with sram, expensive parts just snapping is a common fault, judging by what the kilkenny branch of Halfords is like, they probably wont have a clue at all and say wear and tear or something along those lines.

Just something to be prepared for when you go in, maybe if you could highlight it with something from either sram or a review or something. Dont go mental and say you just want it fixed etc.

Strange that it wasnt the left, my money would have been on that one! Where did it snap? is there and deformation on the metal?

BTW Id imagine Halfords deal with fisher outdoor too, so Id imagine the leadtime once they order will be similar to ryaners, getting them to fit it is another ordeal, TBH if that store dont stock Boardman Id bring it elsewhere.

I'd be very wary (run a mile from) of any bike shop that doesn't have experience with SRAM.
    A small LBS that was giving my PX its 1k service really fecked up my Rival rear derailleur / shifter, which led me to having to send the bike back to England for replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭setanta159

Let us know how you get on with Halfords. Also bought Boarman TC in Halfords and the only criticism I have of the bike is the SRAM lefthand shifter. Seems that the only way I can get a smooth transition if moving back onto the big ring is to shift the RH into the 3rd highest gear and being extra cautious with the left shifter. Otherwise I feel that I risk breaking the left lever. Am surprised, like Kona, that you actually broke the RH shifter as I have had no problems with that. I hope Halfords can sort it for you but like I said keep us informed. You might like to inform them that your situation is not entirely unique and has been discussed in various cycling forums online for what it's worth.

setanta159 wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on with Halfords.

Went into Halfords at lunch time & they agreed to replace the shifter under the warranty. Hopefully I won't be waiting too long to get it back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

My SRAM Rival lever broke just like yours Hail 2 Da Thief.

It was sent back to SRAM for a warranty claim. They have had it for two weeks and I'm still waiting. From what I have read on the internet it is very common. I have to say I am shocked at the quality of it given the price. I'm hoping the replacement if/when they give me one is better.

My bike was bought at the end of last year.

setanta159 wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on with Halfords.

Appalling service! Halfords (KK) are a bunch of amateurs who know sweet FA about bikes!
    Mad Benny wrote: »
    They have had it for two weeks and I'm still waiting.

I didn't get mine back for 5 weeks but that's largely down to Halfords rather than SRAM. For your sake I hope you're dealing with SRAM directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

It was sent back to SRAM for a warranty claim. They have had it for two weeks and I'm still waiting. From what I have read on the internet it is very common. I have to say I am shocked at the quality of it given the price. I'm hoping the replacement if/when they give me one is better.

My bike was bought at the end of last year.

The SRAM stuff manufactured in 2009/2010 had a small batch that were affected by this failure point. They are great at replacing it. I've had two separate shifter failures and in both cases once it was shipped, I had a new one back within 3 weeks. Both times I had a call from the SRAM distributor asking was I ok with the delays.
    The new shifter has been fine since.

my Sram Rival RH shifter snapped clean off.

The LH shifter lever snapped during a spin today. Exact same prob that I had with the RH shifter previously. :mad:

The LH shifter lever snapped during a spin today. Exact same prob that I had with the RH shifter previously. :mad:

Did ya get sorted? thats horrible luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

It took me a month to get mine sorted. It went back to SRAM for analysis. It took some bitching and moaning to get a replacement. A bike shop might be quicker.

It's a poor quality shifter IMO

• Advertisement

It took me a month to get mine sorted. It went back to SRAM for analysis. It took some bitching and moaning to get a replacement. A bike shop might be quicker.

It's a poor quality shifter IMO

its sram :p

Looks like I've got it sorted. I contacted the Irish distributors myself & they've agreed to send me a new shifter.

Diarmuid wrote: »
    These guys are the distributors in Ireland. Get on to them

Cheers for that contact Diarmuid!

Advertisement