Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best network to get an iPhone 4 on?

Options
  • 20-06-2011 8:53pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey

Looking for opinions on where to possibly move network to. After this thread where Vodafone confirmed 1) you get your data allowance downgraded and 2) you lose your roaming on your data bundle if you take their upgrade from the iPhone 3gs to the iPhone 4 + 24 month contract.

I just spent ages making the below pic to find Three's site do it for you, hahaha.

picture22i.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Or Three do a good comparison here.

So for me it's either gonna be Metoer for their 5 gig data or Three for their free data + flexi units (which I <3 the idea of).

All of the above being said, these offers could improve drastically when the iPhone 5 is released and I am tied to my contract for anothe 3/4 months so not rushed.

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Mobiles >>> Apple

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

5gb is WAY more than the average user needs IMO.
    Im always on my phone and wouldnt come close to hitting 2gb of data.
    even if youre tethering then 5gb will be more than sufficent for browsing the internet.

(Im on Three BTW,€40 a month,2gb data,350 flexi unit with the free 200 text addon - perfect for what i need)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RDMH

For me Meteor would be the choice, Three have terrible customer services and I work with 3 lads all with iPhones on Three and all can't wait to get over the contract period to move to Meteor.

If you have ever been with Three and found them good to deal with then Three may be the best option for you (it is after all €5 a month less), however if you travel (even if its only up north) then Meteor may be the better option as Meteor have done away with roaming charges in Europe and reduced their data roaming charged to 99c per day.

Also, Meteor call centre is in Ireland (unless you call after normal working hours when it can switch to India if call volumes are high).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

If you are travelling up North or to the UK then Three would be the obvious choice if you can get good coverage in your area, as if you roam on 3-UK, calls to Irish and UK landlines and mobiles, texts to Irish mobiles and your mobile internet are all covered under your inclusive plan allowances.

There are problem areas for the Three network with congestion and 3G overloading being reported by people over on the Three forum so always research coverage before you commit - although the same rule applies for any network really, not just Three!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

No mention of E-Mobile....?

I've just seen a full page ad in today's Indo offering a free iphone 4 with unlimited calls, texts and data for €69. Probably more than most people need but I wonder how some of their other plans compare...?

http://www.emobile.ie/iphone/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

No mention of E-Mobile....?

I've just seen a full page ad in today's Indo offering a free iphone 4 with unlimited calls, texts and data for €69. Probably more than most people need but I wonder how some of their other plans compare...?

http://www.emobile.ie/iphone/
    18 month contracts scare the **** out of me so eircom/meteor iphone packages would be a no go for me.

I have to admit, I wouldn't be too keen on an 18 month contract on a phone that comes with a 12 month warranty....

I have to admit, I wouldn't be too keen on an 18 month contract on a phone that comes with a 12 month warranty....
    Your consumer rights override any warranty ;)

Just thinking from the point of view that the phone might not last 18 months but you'd be stuck on a contract until then.

A 24 month contract would be madness, there might be three new modles of iphone released in that time and one of them might actually be a decent phone but you'd be stuck with an obsolete model....

Just thinking from the point of view that the phone might not last 18 months but you'd be stuck on a contract until then.

A 24 month contract would be madness, there might be three new modles of iphone released in that time and one of them might actually be a decent phone but you'd be stuck with an obsolete model....
    If you break it then yes it's sickening. If you're prone to losing phones, research insurance. Just like you could take out a car loan for three years and total the car in the first week you have it, you need to make allowances for what is a €600 phone :).
    For faults and defects, then you are able to take a case under Irish Sale of Goods and Supply of Services, and Contract Law, for up to six years from date of purchase. It's not simply a case of your warranty 12-months are up, good luck to you!

Also, Apple tend to release new handsets once per year max. Even then there's usually only a major change of hardware design every two years - 3G and 3GS, 4 rumoured to be followed by a "4S". With 18-/24-month contracts becoming increasingly popular, they're not going to want to release new hardware when the vast majority of their user base are still stuck in contracts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

For me, I just want a working phone which is a smart phone, dont have to have the newest one on the market so dont mind the 18 month contract.

I have insurance on my current phone and I've never needed it which is 180 euro over the 18 months which I'll never have enacted (well, I'm 14 months into it and it is dreadfully slow but thats an upgrades thing not a broken phone thing I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RDMH

If you have an ulster bank Ufirst account you can insure your iPhone for free :D

18/24 month contract is a big commitment but unless you game a lot why would you need a dual core processor in your phone? Fair enough that web pages will load that bit quicker but most people with smart phones really only use 15-20% of their current phone's processing power (main reason being to increase battery life). If you like the iPhone 4 get it, if you need more power go for a Samsung Galaxy SII (which is nice but from a lot of reviews that I have read the reviewer would still prefer the iPhone 4).

If you get two years out of the iPhone 4 then the next one you get will really feel like its a giant leap forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Hmm, I'm in a bit of a pickle over this topic too.

I am now on a rolling contract with O2 with a 32gb iPhone 3GS. Ideally, I would like to sell my factory unlocked handset and buy an unlocked 32gb iPhone 4, whilst continuing with my O2 contract. I would be open to migrating to another network but just want to avoid the 18/24 month commitment.

The kicker is that I will be due an upgrade at the end of next month from O2 so perhaps I should just stay with them if they cut me a good deal...Has anybody experience on how much I might have to pay on the upgrade? My monthly spend is around €70.

Decisions, decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Get a pre pay sim and test the signal of each network where you live work and play so at least the network will work for you. Most networks offer free pre pay sims. You want to see good 3G signal. Only vodafone charge for pre pay sims. I think it's 10 euro but with 10 euro credit. Test before committing long term!!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭coolegrain

and..on three...you can ring uk numbers as part of your allowed units

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭lisaj

Are they all just flogging the iPhone 4 before the 5 comes out. I'm on meteor, and am tempted to go with the current offer, but would it be better to wait, or could there really be that much upgraded on a phone that was released less than a year ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I'm with meteor on 3gs at the moment, saw the offer for the iPhone 4 and thought great I'll pick one up until I saw there's no free meteor to meteor calls or texts included in the €45 plan!! Think they'll lose some customers without that bonus. Thinking of three now but need to check coverage on the area first

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

oh wow, I bought my iPhone unlocked from apple,

it cost me €699 for 32gb, and now I pay €40 to vodafone for 400 min 400 texts 500mb of data and free vf 2 vf calls and texts.

I can end my contract anytime I want.

I reckon I am getting a great deal on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

New iPhone out in September, hold off esp with an 18 month contract

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/8591750/Apple-to-launch-iPhone-5-in-September.html

You people are probably wondering about my plan but it works out great

I show you the maths

€60 a month gets you 300 min and 300 texts and 1gb of data
    €80 a month gets you 500 min and 500 texts and 1gb of data

So we can assume that €70 a month gets you 400 min and 400 text and 1gb a month

min contract is 18 months

so €70 current cost - €40 what I pay = €30 * 18 = 540
    plus the 299 you have to pay for the phone = €839

€839 - €699 = €140, but I also get to resell my phone when the new one comes out probably for about 400 squid and as I am not tied down to network contract and the phone is unlocked I will be able to sell it instantly. Plus I have the original box, headphones and charger that are unused as I already had a 3gs and the product has been in the invisible shield with bumper since I got it.

I do only get 500mb of data, but tbh, I never went over 250 and that is with a decent amount of email, facebook, IM+, skype, whatsapp and viber.

I definitely think I am on the best plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Are you not leaving out the price of the iphone, 599 + 40pm for 18mts works out more, I know you get to resell the phone but so does anyone on a contract.

lisaj wrote: »
    Are they all just flogging the iPhone 4 before the 5 comes out. I'm on meteor, and am tempted to go with the current offer, but would it be better to wait, or could there really be that much upgraded on a phone that was released less than a year ago?
    There's no indication there will be iPhone 5, could well be an iPhone 4S - same handset form with higher spec hardware. Anyone with an iPhone 4 will get the iOS 5 update free anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Even if there is an iPhone9000 I wont be getting it because it'll be so expensive as its the newest - but, meteor have no extra roaming charges according to an ad I saw, *googles*, yep: http://www.meteor.ie/do_more/roaming/ - no charges within the EU. On further inspection this doesnt seem to apply to data: http://www.meteor.ie/do_more/roaming/billpay/europe_zone_1/, however, 99c per MB is bad I think, because Voda do 2.50 for full day access...

Are you not leaving out the price of the iphone, 599 + 40pm for 18mts works out more, I know you get to resell the phone but so does anyone on a contract.

(40 * 18) + 699 = 1419
    (70 * 18) + 299 = 1559

but, I can sell my phone the min the new one comes out, I am not tied down to contract. Plus try selling a three iphone, not an easy task.

It's your sim card on contract not the phone so you can sell anytime you want. As for selling a 3 phone, I got an o2 phone unlocked on Monday (iPhone 3gs) just rang o2 nd said it wouldn't work, was unlocked in less than 24 hrs. Dunno what 3 are like bit it's pretty easy to get them unlocked, factory or otherwise

the main attraction for people seems to be the no upfront payment "free iPhone" I'd always gonna sell!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

IPAM wrote: »
    It's your sim card on contract not the phone so you can sell anytime you want. As for selling a 3 phone, I got an o2 phone unlocked on Monday (iPhone 3gs) just rang o2 nd said it wouldn't work, was unlocked in less than 24 hrs. Dunno what 3 are like bit it's pretty easy to get them unlocked, factory or otherwise

the main attraction for people seems to be the no upfront payment "free iPhone" I'd always gonna sell!

The company don't subsidise the cost of the sim-card, it's the phone they subsidise. And no, 3 are nothing like O2 when it comes to unlocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

kjl wrote: »
    (40 * 18) + 699 = 1419
    (70 * 18) + 299 = 1559

but, I can sell my phone the min the new one comes out, I am not tied down to contract. Plus try selling a three iphone, not an easy task.

(40 * 24) + 0 = €960 , no matter what way you do the math it's more expensive to pay full price for the phone.

There's nothing to stop anyone on contract selling their phone at any time.

whiterebel wrote: »
    The company don't subsidise the cost of the sim-card, it's the phone they subsidise. And no, 3 are nothing like O2 when it comes to unlocking.

And??? If you keep paying the €40 a month they don't give a **** wha happens to the phone, I could throw it under a bus on day 1 of the contract and 1. They wouldn't know 2. They wouldn't care as long as the bill I agreed to was being paid

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I'm considering getting an iphone 4 too but what would the terms/bills be like for the iphone5 when it comes out in comparison. If the terms/bills are much worse for the iphone 5 I'll get the iphone 4 now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I'm considering getting an iphone 4 too but what would the terms/bills be like for the iphone5 when it comes out in comparison. If the terms/bills are much worse for the iphone 5 I'll get the iphone 4 now.

Probably the same as iPhone 4

Advertisement