Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum amount accepted by shop with debit transaction

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I had a chap wanting to pay me for a packet of chewing gum with his card. Big grin on him in front of his mates trying to act the man. Told him to F off out of the shop. Now he was trying to act the eejit, but seriously, any normal person wanting to process a card for under €5 needs to have a think

Seems clear to me which one of the two of you was "trying to act the man".

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lardzeppelin

Cards schmards, I draw out 200 a fortnight, that covers petrol, shopping /provisions, food out once or twice a week...bills are paid by direct debit and saving money is a way of life... Now I am single with no mortgage, but that's a side, I'm one of those farts that gets very frustrated with ques, store cards, shop and save coupons and people who load the bag while the teller is waiting for payment....i guess that makes me a snarky little glove puppet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Tzardine wrote:
    Seems clear to me which one of the two of you was "trying to act the man".

Why so? He was deliberately acting the maggot and I refused to accept it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I didn't think it was an issue paying with cards. I paid for an €0.80 cent purchase on a card yesterday no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

ED E wrote:
    I can go to Tesco/Dunnes/Aldi whoever and pay contactless for a 60c drink. £1 london bus, no problem. If you refuse the card I'll just leave the stuff for you to reshelve and jog on.

Reshelving a can of Coke is better than selling it to you at a net loss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,582 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Way to necro an irrelevant thread

As far as I remember retailers get charged 0.1% for debit card purchases (a tiny amount) - they may have other bank charges but they are par for the course and not related to individual payments and are charges they would have to pay regardless

The world is going cash free and it's arriving very quickly - I very rarely use cash for anything these days. May take out €40 and that lasts me all week for those shops that still charge 50c for paying by debit card though I try to avoid them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

fritzelly wrote: »
    Way to necro an irrelevant thread

As far as I remember retailers get charged 0.1% for debit card purchases (a tiny amount) - they may have other bank charges but they are par for the course and not related to individual payments and are charges they would have to pay regardless
    The interchange fee is about 0.1%, but payment processors have to make a small margin too.

I'm in retail, I'm charged 0.32% for debit cards.

If I lodge cash in the bank, I'm charged 0.45%

If I lodge coins in the bank its 1.5%

Our lowest priced item is €1. If you offered me a choice of cash or debit card for that €1, I'll take the card.

A lot of small retailers don't seem to realise that card charges are now lower than cash charges.

Its definitely cashless these days - less than 20% of our turnover is cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I had a chap wanting to pay me for a packet of chewing gum with his card. Big grin on him in front of his mates trying to act the man. Told him to F off out of the shop. Now he was trying to act the eejit, but seriously, any normal person wanting to process a card for under €5 needs to have a think

I buy lots of things with my card for under a euro or two. Cans of coke, gum, anything.
    I'd stop going to a shop that wouldn't accept card payments for these things.

Actually just checked up on it and appears to be illegal to charge a surcharge on purchases because you are using a debit card while still having a minimum spend - kinda contradictory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

CeilingFly wrote: »
    The interchange fee is about 0.1%, but payment processors have to make a small margin too.

Our lowest priced item is €1. If you offered me a choice of cash or debit card for that €1, I'll take the card.

A lot of small retailers don't seem to realise that card charges are now lower than cash charges.

Never mind the cost to have the cash counted, travel to the bank etc... In the same boat myself and between giving out cash back and accepting cards i rarely end up going to the bank at all these days unless i need coins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Delta2113

- No need for that behavior Mr Shopkeeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I use my card for everything these days. So much quicker and so much easier to keep track of what I spend.

I very rarely if ever have cash in my wallet. If a shop won't take my card for a small purchase I just don't go there again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

Got this update recently regards accepting

Changes to payment acceptance
    1. You are no longer allowed to surcharge cardholders to pay by card (if the card was issued within the European Economic Area - EEA) unless it is specifically a Commercial or Corporate card and then, you can only charge as much as you are paying for that transaction. See “prohibition on surcharging for consumer cards” in the FAQ section below.

2. You must accept card payment for any value of transaction; you cannot set a minimum purchase price.

3. You must agree the specific amount, and get consent from the cardholder, to reserve or pre-authorise funds against the payment card in anticipation of a future transaction. See "customer consent for reservation of funds” in the FAQ section below.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Is that the same regardless of whether it's a PIN or a contactless transaction? I would have thought contactless would have been cheaper for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

This...

If only more retail owners knew their charges like this there wouldnt be any minimum charge nonsense when it costs more to lodge cash takings..not to mention the security risk and insurance for keeping cash on premises

Alun wrote: »
    Is that the same regardless of whether it's a PIN or a contactless transaction? I would have thought contactless would have been cheaper for some reason.

Contactless are cheaper. I think they had no charge at the start to promote the use of it but i believe theyre around the 0.1% mark now depending on the merchant service

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dj320

Bad business from you if your lodging cash and paying the bank, lots of ways of getting rid of cash and not paying the bank to lodge, your mad if your doing it

368100 wrote: »
    This...

If only more retail owners knew their charges like this there wouldnt be any minimum charge nonsense when it costs more to lodge cash takings..not to mention the security risk and insurance for keeping cash on premises

He obviously knows his charges but is crazy lodging cash in the bank , bad business, I haven’t lodged cash in 6years or bought coin or lodged coin, only thing I lodge is Cheques , and I charge 25c for card transactions under €5, when your being charged €1800 per month for card transactions then you start to wise up, it’s not being mean

Dj320 wrote: »
    Bad business from you if your lodging cash and paying the bank, lots of ways of getting rid of cash and not paying the bank to lodge, your mad if your doing it

Such as? Genuinely interested to know as i'm sick of paying for notes to be lodged.

Time wrote: »
    Such as? Genuinely interested to know as i'm sick of paying for notes to be lodged.
    Pay all your suppliers in cash, get an atm in store( doesn’t suit all businesses I know) if not then find a shop that has an atm in store, they generally don’t generate enough cash for an atm and often end up buying cash from the bank ( bank makes more money).You give the shop the cash, they transfer online or a Cheque , you just need to find someone with a shop who you can trust , or pay as many suppliers as possible in cash

• Advertisement

Pay all your suppliers in cash, get an atm in store( doesn’t suit all businesses I know) if not then find a shop that has an atm in store, they generally don’t generate enough cash for an atm and often end up buying cash from the bank ( bank makes more money).You give the shop the cash, they transfer online or a Cheque , you just need to find someone with a shop who you can trust , or pay as many suppliers as possible in cash

Ah fair enough, that wouldn't work for us, some good ideas there though.

Time wrote: »
    Ah fair enough, that wouldn't work for us, some good ideas there though.
    Why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

A while ago in a previous job I used to lodge cash into an Ulster bank company account in the post office and I always got a receipt showing the exact amount I lodged never any less. After the post office gives the money to the bank does the bank then take a cut?

He obviously knows his charges but is crazy lodging cash in the bank , bad business, I haven’t lodged cash in 6years or bought coin or lodged coin, only thing I lodge is Cheques , and I charge 25c for card transactions under €5, when your being charged €1800 per month for card transactions then you start to wise up, it’s not being mean

€1800 a month? Fair play thats some whack of turnover you're doing.

Agree with all your ideas of avoiding cash fees but some of them arent an option. Suppliers can request electronic transfer as you're only passing the cash cost to them and theyll have to do same. Theres a rental charge on the ATM too as far as i know....and the additional insurance cost for holding large sums on the premises. But as i said if you can make it work then theyre good ideas.

Great read here (coupla years old so the figures are probably even better for cashless)
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/analysis/the-end-of-cash-the-cost-of-a-cashless-society-448553.html

Changed banks a little while ago and received my first paper statement - some 30 odd pages (poor trees) due to all the contactless purchases I made even for a coffee or milk from Tesco. Makes you ponder...

€1800 a month? Fair play thats some whack of turnover you're doing

Big turnover, small margin , hence the charge on someone paying for a newspaper with a card

Why not?

Can't pay all suppliers in cash unfortunately.

https://www.payzone.co.uk/blog/what-does-the-card-surcharge-ban-mean-for-small-businesses/

UK have banned surcharges at start of the year on credit and debit cards. Id expect us (EU) to follow suit.

https://www.payzone.co.uk/blog/what-does-the-card-surcharge-ban-mean-for-small-businesses/

UK have banned surcharges at start of the year on credit and debit cards. Id expect us (EU) to follow suit.

It's banned EU wide, someone posted a link earlier I think

• Advertisement

If it happens then we just don’t accept card payment for under €5, just leave the goods there, you simply cannot sell a newspaper, bread etc and take a card payment, it will cost us money to sell it

Advertisement