Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entitled to grant to pay fee's...?

Options
  • 20-06-2011 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hey all, I have received my letter of acceptance to college to start in September doing a level 8 course. However, I have previously studied 2 yrs at 3rd level doing a level 8 course, which I dropped out of due to financial reasons. It has been 2 years since then. I did not receive a grant for my fee's then as stupidly, I wasnt aware of my entitlements at the time... Although I've been told that regardless of whether or not I received a grant before, I will not be entitled to get one this time around as I have already been to college.

Can somebody tell me if this true or untrue?

My other alternative is to go down the route of student loans... but I'd like to know for sure first if theres any hope of getting a fee paying grant instead!

Cheers :o

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

if you received financial assistance from them before you would have to wait 5 years before you could apply again. since you didnt receive assistance from them then i dont see why it would apply to you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

The problem is though that they tend to look on free fees as being a type of financial assistance.

Apply anyway, and see what happens. Don't lie on the form, but don't bring this to their attention either unless it sepcifies that something like this must be disclosed. A lot of the time, these grey areas are not accounted for in the rules so bringing it up when you don't need to/are not obliged to just opens a massive can of worms because no one really knows what you are entitled to and you can end up being much worse off. Like I say though, if you need to disclose it to keep things legal, then you'll just have to.

Advertisement