Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was on the Peace Bridge today

• 20-06-2011 9:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭

almost a week ahead of it's official opening :D

The contractors are trying to finish any wee snags before they hand it over on Thursday morning in advance of the grand opening on Saturday.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Excellent. Were you the first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Penfailed

muffler wrote: »
    Excellent. Were you the first?

Not by a long shot. Apart from all the contractors working on it (obviously), loads of kids have been on it at night. They've had to employ security to patrol each side of it recently!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

ill maybe head down for the opening at the weekend.. ;)

on a side note - there is pupils in derry doing a sponsored walk over the bridge to raise money for their school... :pac:

on a side note - there is pupils in derry doing a sponsored walk over the bridge to raise money for their school... :pac:

Wow! They're going to walk a whole 350m! They'll be knackered after that. I hope they've got a bus lined up to take them back again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

lol @ penfailed. Fair play to them, they must be in need of the money!

• Advertisement

I was back at the bridge today and took a walk across from one side to the other...and back again. It's pretty cool actually. The contractors on the Waterside at Ebrington are working flat out to get it ready for the grand opening on Saturday. The 'mute meadow' public art thing on that side looks awful though...and they spent £785K on it :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

They're doing a lap around the Peace Bridge and the Old Bridge (Craigavon Bridge), it's not as bad as 350m :pac:

Dun wrote: »
    They're doing a lap around the Peace Bridge and the Old Bridge (Craigavon Bridge), it's not as bad as 350m :pac:

Ah right...fair enough :)

I was told today by someone that they're looking for volunteers to help out with the opening. If anybody's interested, go along to the Culture Office at 1:30. I can't go cause of work (aye, just cause of work :P). And I'm afraid I've no idea where the culture office is.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Dun wrote: »
    I was told today by someone that they're looking for volunteers to help out with the opening. If anybody's interested, go along to the Culture Office at 1:30. I can't go cause of work (aye, just cause of work :P). And I'm afraid I've no idea where the culture office is.

It's opposite Monico's bar in Guildhall sq.

• Advertisement

I walked the bridge again today. Headed on over to St.Columb's Park. Lots going on and the atmosphere was great :D

Were the fireworks good last night? I got the shíte scared out of me when they started going off, didn't know they were going to be on. After seeing nothing but police and helicopters buzzing round all day, I immediately thought the worst.

I wasn't there for the fireworks but I've heard that they were great :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭patrickc

I was in Derry for the weekend my first time there, have to say with the bridge opening there was a great atmosphere, there was live music and the fireworks were great, from what I could see of them, couldnt see them 100% clearly from where I was. the bridge is a lovely peace of infrastructure, and a great idea just reading on it.

Lovely city Derry, would recommend it to anyone for a visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

patrickc wrote: »
    I was in Derry for the weekend my first time there, have to say with the bridge opening there was a great atmosphere, there was live music and the fireworks were great, from what I could see of them, couldnt see them 100% clearly from where I was. the bridge is a lovely peace of infrastructure, and a great idea just reading on it.

Lovely city Derry, would recommend it to anyone for a visit.
    Was thinking of going up north for a week on hols.Ill give Derry hotels a look;)

I was in the big smoke for the bridge opening - great day all-around, glad the weather held.

I had never heard of the Carnivale of Colours at St. Columb's Park, but it was great craic - Mr. Spin and "Anyone for Tennis?" my highlights.:)

Mr. Spin

Is that the guy that was on the big tall unicycle, balancing a glass of water on his head and juggling three baseball bats at the same time?

Penfailed wrote: »
    Is that the guy that was on the big tall unicycle, balancing a glass of water on his head and juggling three baseball bats at the same time?

yep.

yep.

Just caught the tail end of his act - very good stuff :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭boidey

• Advertisement

Cool pics! I've yet to see the bridge at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As a native I must say the Bridge is a great addition to the city.

A lot of the locals are down on it, saying we could have spent the money elsewhere, not understanding the fact it was the Bridge or nothing, as the money came from Europe. But Derry people like a good moan!

But it has been filled since it opened and I have been wondering what these folk used to do to pass their time:D

I have been across it a few times, and the only disappointing thing is the fact that the Bridge opened before the Ebrington side has had any real work done to it. But when it is complete it will really look the part. The Bridge really opens up St Columbs Park to the city side people, with it now being only a 12-15min walk away. This is a nice park and it is supposed to be getting a few new developments, such as a renovated leisure centre.

I would agree that the atmosphere around the city has definitely lifted since its opening. The city is generally a very nice city to visit. Bar the odd idiot, we are friendly folk, and there is very good value to be had in hotels, restaurants and bars. People from the likes of Dublin would not believe how cheap we can buy our pints for !!

As the city ramps up towards 2013 I can see it all getting very interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭boidey

I think the bridge is a fantastic addition to the town, the volume of foot traffic on it in the evening shows how popular it is. It is brilliant to see people of all ages on the bridge and from both communities. The only negative I have witnessed so far is the drunken teenagers that gather occasionally on it.
    The City of Culture is a brilliant opportunity for the city and its a shame to see kids on the street drinking to detract from it

Advertisement