Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games or Franchises that stopped being fun

Options
  • 20-06-2011 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭

Saw a thread like this on another forum website and I decided to ask the Irish Community what games stopped being fun as the title suggests.

I'll have a pop first anyway

The Command and Conquer Series has gotten really boring for me. Used to play them to death.

The Smackdown series have gotten quite boring for me aswell. I never got Smackdown vs. Raw 2011 due to no interest, that it is all just the same. The "Madden Effect" I call it. But I would probably buy SvR 2011 for collection purposes as I've owned every Smackdown game to date (except 2011)

Call Of Duty is another set of games i got fed up with. After Modern Warfare 2 I just couldn't take it anymore. Too many aggressive people on that game, and the fact that most of these people are under the age of consent and have such disgusting language and behaviour really irritates me. I know I've played loads of games under the age rating but I have never been so aggressive and so angry as the CoD community are now. I'm 21 and just to hear these kids shout all this abuse it just disgusts me. Like, having a 14 year old come on and threaten to have your mother killed just because you shot him in the head in-game maybe harmless in context as it's just a message from someone who's nowhere near ya but it's the words they use that's ridiculous (The Campaign would be just about IT for me then I'd probably trade it in) I never played more than 10 minutes of Black Ops.

Sorry about the long Call of Duty rant but it's like the biggest upset I've had on a game franchise, I used to love them but I don't anymore.

Oh yeah, I'd also like to add GTA.
    I love the GTA franchise i think they're great. But I don't think I'll ever get the level of excitement I got when first played GTA 3.
    I haven't felt like that for any other GTA game. I don't think I ever will either. GTA 3 was just amazing when I first played it as every GTA game that has came out since, the level of excitement just got lower and lower and GTA 4 was the lowest. Probably a big dissappointment more than anything. Enjoyed it, but not to the extend as I enjoyed GTA 3 back in 2001. That will be one the best moments of my life in terms of video games.

What about you? What game or franchise lost it's glow for ya?
    Interested to know :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Call of duty

C&C

WoW

Gta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Call of duty

Sonic has being like a hill for me going from so great to just playing bad, then having enjoyed sonic colours and super excited for sonic generations :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Resident evil , they feel more like shoot em ups than survival horror that they once were.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,328 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Call of Duty thanks to the player base.

Conversly, Halo Reach has a much better community than Halo 3 ever did, because all the dickhead kids are off playing Black Ops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Resident evil , they feel more like shoot em ups than survival horror that they once were.

AH why didn't I think of that? lol

Well hopefully the new Res' Evil game that's in development now could redeem itself back into scare-mode because the proper man-eating zombies are back by the looks of it! :D

• Advertisement

Call of Duty thanks to the player base.

Conversly, Halo Reach has a much better community than Halo 3 ever did, because all the dickhead kids are off playing Black Ops.

I was close to mentioning Halo because Halo 3 did have plenty of clowns to come with it but yeah I do enjoy Reach alot better, i prefer playing with mature gamers that know how to take a beating should one come to them. I applaud people who can actually pull off a handy looking kill rather than abuse the hell out of them because it would be deemed "unfair".

Yeah Halo is up there with Battlefield for me. Very mature people on both of 'em (well for all the matches I've had anyway lol)

EDIT: Sorry mods for that double post I only looked now lol

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

+1 on resident evil. Totally lost it.

New re game is meh too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Final Fantasy lost me completely around X, despite being a good game. Can't say the same for what followed, and the continued gouging of fans of FFVII is fairly vulgar too.

Sonic, pretty much everything post Mega Drive has been poor, though I enjoyed Sonic Adventure when I first got a Dreamcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

COD

Splinter Cell

Guitar Hero

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Dynasty Warriors and its spin-offs

• Advertisement

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    Dynasty Warriors and its spin-offs

I'm actually lookin forward to playin' the 7th installment. Finally the ability to use different weapons rather than the default :D i'm such a geek :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Farmville. Up to level 106, but getting fed up of it now. Took me so long to get there should I stop now? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Farmville was never fun, in fact it's the complete opposite for your friends that get spammed with messages.

Have to agree with smackdown and command & conquer. Haven't enjoyed a final fantasy game since 10. Fed up of Halo as well, they're milking that franchise dry shelling out the same game with minor changes, didn't even bother buying Reach. Surprised no-one has mentioned Tony Hawk yet, another franchise ruined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

ShaneU wrote: »
    Farmville was never fun, in fact it's the complete opposite for your friends that get spammed with messages.

Have to agree with smackdown and command & conquer. Haven't enjoyed a final fantasy game since 10. Fed up of Halo as well, they're milking that franchise dry shelling out the same game with minor changes, didn't even bother buying Reach. Surprised no-one has mentioned Tony Hawk yet, another franchise ruined.

Jesus tony hawks perhaps the best games i played on ps2 underground was so badass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Little unfair to GTA imo Vice City and San Andres were worthy additions to the series, IV? now is a different matter !!!!!!!!

Activision seem to flog their franchises to death then defile the corpses !!!!!! Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero both on ice thankfully .

I;d love to say the lego games as it;s essentially the same game over and over but they are just so much fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Silent Hill. Turned to **** after the Americans touched it and still hasn't recovered and probably never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭boiledeggs

gamercfc wrote: »
    Saw a thread like this on another forum website and I decided to ask the Irish Community what games stopped being fun as the title suggests.

I'll have a pop first anyway

The Command and Conquer Series has gotten really boring for me. Used to play them to death.

The Smackdown series have gotten quite boring for me aswell. I never got Smackdown vs. Raw 2011 due to no interest, that it is all just the same. The "Madden Effect" I call it. But I would probably buy SvR 2011 for collection purposes as I've owned every Smackdown game to date (except 2011)

Call Of Duty is another set of games i got fed up with. After Modern Warfare 2 I just couldn't take it anymore. Too many aggressive people on that game, and the fact that most of these people are under the age of consent and have such disgusting language and behaviour really irritates me. I know I've played loads of games under the age rating but I have never been so aggressive and so angry as the CoD community are now. I'm 21 and just to hear these kids shout all this abuse it just disgusts me. Like, having a 14 year old come on and threaten to have your mother killed just because you shot him in the head in-game maybe harmless in context as it's just a message from someone who's nowhere near ya but it's the words they use that's ridiculous (The Campaign would be just about IT for me then I'd probably trade it in) I never played more than 10 minutes of Black Ops.

Sorry about the long Call of Duty rant but it's like the biggest upset I've had on a game franchise, I used to love them but I don't anymore.

I love the GTA franchise i think they're great. But I don't think I'll ever get the level of excitement I got when first played GTA 3.
    I haven't felt like that for any other GTA game. I don't think I ever will either. GTA 3 was just amazing when I first played it as every GTA game that has came out since, the level of excitement just got lower and lower and GTA 4 was the lowest. Probably a big dissappointment more than anything. Enjoyed it, but not to the extend as I enjoyed GTA 3 back in 2001. That will be one the best moments of my life in terms of video games.

What about you? What game or franchise lost it's glow for ya?
    Interested to know :)

Dude sorry to be a bore but you just said you played GTA 3 in 2001 and you are now 21 I don't think you have much right to criticise young gamers playing mature games. I understand your frustration and know what you mean but I felt the same about things a long time ago with your generation. there is always going to be immature people every generation it is just the rise of online gaming that has made you this way, playing games before were all single player and now you play with people all over the world think about it. Its pretty cool no matter with whom you play with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Tiger Woods and CoD for me.

Played Tiger Woods 2005 to death on Xbox. Loved it. Decided against getting the next yearly iteration and came back to it again in 2009. Still the same game. very little had changed so I lost interest almost immediately.

CoD is the same. Same game essentially since COD4. I've played each game each year but am gonna put a stop to it now and move to Battlefield 3 instead of MW3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Couldnt agree more. GTA3 was revolutionary. Every subsequent game just added bells and whistles

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

CoD
    Battlefield Bad company pretty much showed me how an online fps should be, blows CoD out of the water for me. The rife hacking and modiing and downsyndromed community turned me off entirely.

C&C
    Cant put my finger on it, but just got boring

Resident evil
    Turned into a poor shoot em up with no more zombies. Last one i bought was in like Africa or some ****, hated it, never returning...RE2 was one of the best games ive ever played

• Advertisement

boiledeggs wrote: »
    Dude sorry to be a bore but you just said you played GTA 3 in 2001 and you are now 21 I don't think you have much right to criticise young gamers playing mature games. I understand your frustration and know what you mean but I felt the same about things a long time ago with your generation. there is always going to be immature people every generation it is just the rise of online gaming that has made you this way, playing games before were all single player and now you play with people all over the world think about it. Its pretty cool no matter with whom you play with

U misunderstood my point. I wasnt saying that young gamers shouldn't be playin mature games i dont care what they play. I was sayin the language they spout out on mature online games is ridiculous. I have never swore like that when i was around those ages. I still don't use that sort of language to abuse other people. I've played online since i was 15 and i never spouted out stuff like i hear nowadays. But I didn't utter the words "they shouldnt be playing those kind of games" or anything like it. I was sayin they shouldn't be using the attitudes they have towards people twice their age. It's disrespectful and disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I agree with the COD community (and I'm one of them) being completely obnoxious for the most part, its never "oh that guy outplayed me, fair play to him" its always "OMG you fcuking n00b faaag that was so fcuking gay you cnut!"

sigh.. thats why everyone gets muted when I'm playing on my own and not with the boards lads.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Re-entering the charts this week after a gap of a few years, and going straight into #1 we have F.3E.A.R

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I'm actually lookin forward to playin' the 7th installment. Finally the ability to use different weapons rather than the default :D i'm such a geek :P

I was a big fan myself, but i just couldn't keep up with them! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Football Manager is another one that comes to mind, used to love it back around CM 03/04 but the new games are just a chore with the sheer amount of stuff you have to do between matches

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Command and conquer lost it when they kept thinking they had to evolve the gameplay with every game .
    To anyone who ever played them , they would know the gameplay up to and including generals was dam near perfect, i like c&c3 tiberium wars as well, they should of just took a leaf out of starcrafts book and refined the hell out of the gameplay thats all people want.

Red alert 3 was a joke of a game , the game was the beginning of the end for me

Command and conquer lost it when they kept thinking they had to evolve the gameplay with every game .
    To anyone who ever played them , they would know the gameplay up to and including generals was dam near perfect, i like c&c3 tiberium wars as well, they should of just took a leaf out of starcrafts book and refined the hell out of the gameplay thats all people want.

Red alert 3 was a joke of a game , the game was the beginning of the end for me

Yeah Red Alert 3 saddened me. I played it on console though so lol but then again, the first C&C game i ever played was on console and i adored it (Red Alert 1)

Call of duty

Sonic has being like a hill for me going from so great to just playing bad, then having enjoyed sonic colours and super excited for sonic generations :P

I was away to add Sonic to my list but Sonic 4 actually redeemed itself ever so slightly for me. I didn't care that the controls were infact not as great as the older ones but it was in 2D and that was all I asked for in my head since 2006 so I was satisfied lol Lookin' forward to Episode 2 for whenever it comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Operation Flashpoint - Great first game and expansion packs, all downhill after the developers changed

C & C - for reasons mentioned above.

Call of Duty - Loved the original Call of duty, and Call of Duty 2. Thought they were really good offline and online. Enjoyed Modern Warfare too if I'm honest, but couldn't care about the rest.

Medal of Honour - There was a time when I couldn't wait for a new Medal of Honour game, but those days are long gone sadly.

Football Manager - Was a fantastic game, but find it very boring now :(

Fifa - Obivous really, copy and paste last game and add one new small feature.

Unreal Tournament - Needed fresh ideas in UT 3 and there just wasn't any. Currently shelved, I hope when/if they start working on another one, they come up with something fresh. Was such a good series!

Quake & Doom - Found Quake 4 to be very boring and generic, and nothing really great about Quake wars either. Doom 3 was quite poor too in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Final Fantasy series became too focused on micromanagement. With ff7 and 8 the combat system was fantastic. When it came to 12 and 13 it came too micro-managed, with not only equipping weapons and armour, but having real-time battles instead of turn-based combat, constantly switching roles, etc. As well as that, i'm not a big fan of real-time combat, i like turn-based in RPGs

Advertisement