Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scanners.

Options
  • 20-06-2011 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

whats the best scanner to get for portable use and also for mobile use to fit permenantly in my jeep, Im in the waterford area and the guys that are at all the Rnli demos and shouts seem to be using bearcats, is that because they seem to be cheap to buy , they seem very cheap in the states,
    I would prefer to buy 2 units of a decent quality , also the look of those bearcats seem a bit tacky.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

What is your budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 freakwencydb

Thanks would prob go to 250-300 for the mobile unit, and around 200 for the port ., would take good sh gear if good quality radios.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Thanks would prob go to 250-300 for the mobile unit, and around 200 for the port ., would take good sh gear if good quality radios.

Is there any particular preference towards brand? I see you don't like bearcat.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭shaunandelly

AOR,Yupiteru,Icom Got an mvt 7100 about 14 years ago,still going strong although just chucked around. Bandscope is a very useful feature though.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

The bearcats are a very good brand,not the most sensitive but great units none the less,i had an icom r5 which set me back 280 euro and it was crap,it looked great but was deaf on my preferred listening,i only recently sold my bearcat 785xlt and it served me well for about 2 years,all i have left is my yupi mvt 7100 and although its old now its still the most sensitive unit i have ever used and it picks up the tower in cork airport from 20+miles with the stock ariel,AOR have a good name but are priced to match,if i were to pick a brand based on quality ruggedness and price i would go for the best of the bearcat range,regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Rollercoaster

Uniden Bearcat USC230E with Close Call is a great little radio.

It is discreet and fits nicely in a pocket. Put in a set of Walkman / iPod earphones and nobody know what you are listening to.

Plus, the Close Call feature is a fantastic invention!

With “Close Call” enabled, you will hear any local transmission without having to tune the scanner. It picks up any nearby transmissions and you can choose to save the frequency or just listen!

I have used a Black Jaguar Mark IV, Yupiteru 7100 and Uniden USC230E handheld scanners. The Close Call feature and the useable size make the Uniden USC230E a winner.

If you are thinking of buying one, take a look at this post: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73854436&postcount=24

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭edber2011

get yourself a yupitero 7100,best portable for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

maybe a second hand yaseu vx7 mine is great.

Advertisement