Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garage alarm

Options
  • 20-06-2011 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi I have a h.k.c 812 secure watch alarm panel in the house. I have run one 6 core cable from house to the garage. Would like to install one p.i.r. and one keypad if possible. Can this be done? if so how do i go about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Very easy to do if you have the engineer code. All you need is to wire the keypad plus a 4 zone expander into the keypad bus on the alarm system on 4 cores. The PIR can be wired into the expander plus the power can be brought to the PIR on the other 2 cores.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

To save you money. Wire the PIR power into the power from the keypad and use the other pair for the zone.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I agree with Fred. Its a waste of money spending all that on an expander for one zone.For a little less you would have a panel and keypad.

To save you money. Wire the PIR power into the power from the keypad and use the other pair for the zone.

I agree Fred that is a cheaper solution providing the op has a free zone in his panel.

KoolKid wrote: »
    For a little less you would have a panel and keypad.

I would disagree as the op needs a second keypad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Exactly my point. A new panel with keypad would be cheaper than a keypad and expander.

Exactly my point. A new panel with keypad would be cheaper than a keypad and expander.

So why suggest something dearer ?

?????
    Keypad €60-€70 expander €50-€60
    Panel and keypad €110.
    Panel and keypad is always better value. On any system I will never buy a keypad on its own. For the OP the cheapest option is Fred's suggestion and forget the keypad. After that
    If a keypad is required then a seperate panel is cheaper and more flexable solution in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

gabdoc wrote: »
    Hi I have a h.k.c 812 secure watch alarm panel in the house. I have run one 6 core cable from house to the garage. Would like to install one p.i.r. and one keypad if possible. Can this be done? if so how do i go about it.

Run 2 more down to the garage as spares,if you can.Leave them long enough to go anywhere inside or outside the garage too.

Thats what I did ( I ran 5 x 6 core alarm cables to garage).

The alarm installer fitted an external bell box,keypad,pir.:)

?????
    Keypad €60-€70 expander €50-€60
    Panel and keypad €110.
    Panel and keypad is always better value. On any system I will never buy a keypad on its own. For the OP the cheapest option is Fred's suggestion and forget the keypad. After that
    If a keypad is required then a seperate panel is cheaper and more flexable solution in my opinion.

More like €40 for the expander. What panel and keypad can you get for €110 :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MCnoFlow

paddy147 wrote: »
    Run 2 more down to the garage as spares,if you can.Leave them long enough to go anywhere inside or outside the garage too.

Thats what I did ( I ran 5 x 6 core alarm cables to garage).

The alarm installer fitted an external bell box,keypad,pir.:)

Your bellbox is crooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MCnoFlow

altor wrote: »
    More like €40 for the expander. What panel and keypad can you get for €110 :confused:

8/12 is 110 plus vat.

I am pricing ex VAT.
    Any standard Panel/Keypad I buy would be €110

MCnoFlow wrote: »
    Your bellbox is crooked.

Its the angle of the pic,the leccy roller shutter door even looks a bit off,its not crooked at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

paddy147 wrote: »
    Its the angle of the pic,the leccy roller shutter door even looks a bit off,its not crooked at all.

It is crooked. I would get your alarm company back to fix that, in fact, get another company out as any company that leaves a bell box like that shouldn't be let near an alarm system. Disgraceful carry on.

Only joking Altor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Running the keypad and pir off the one cable would be the easiest solution.

Paddy you should have put that box in a cage as it's very low

Jnealon wrote: »
    Running the keypad and pir off the one cable would be the easiest solution.

Paddy you should have put that box in a cage as it's very low

10.5 feet from ground to bell box.

It is in a cage now.A HKC cage to be precise and fitted with anti theft stainless steel security screws..

The alarm installer actually recommended that he install a cage,but I decided against it,at the time.

A few days later,I got the cage fitted,as I realized that the alarm installer was right all along, and I was wrong.

Thanks for your concern.

OK this is going nowhere.
    Mutual Appreciation Society Thread closed!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement