Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short term accommodation - London

Options
  • 20-06-2011 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone have any idea how to find short-term accommodation in London?
    My brother in law will be working in London for the next 3-6 months, he thought that he had accommodation sorted but it has fallen through. He's on a mate's sofa for the next few nights.
    His work is based in the vicinity of Twickenham and he is looking for somewhere basic to live for the next few months.
    He doesn't know how long his contract is going to last so thats why he can't commit to anything long term.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

I had the same issue recently, I was on a 3 month rolling contract so couldn't commit to 6months+ which is the standard here.

I got somewhere eventually on spareroom.co.uk - basically I looked for a landlord who was offering a short term lease. Turned out to be pretty good (although for £1000 a month pricey)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Loot and Gumtree are the two places to use..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭up4it

I've worked in London and many public libraries can provide a list of local B&Bs. Most universities also provide lists and these can be found using google.

Other than that it is a case of using gumtree/craigslist for house-shares.

A very good website I have also used is easyroommate..

http://uk.easyroommate.com/

Gumtree is full of Nigerian scammers so be very careful using it.

www.spareroom.co.uk is the most popular and easiest to use. I have used it for my last 3 places and just found someone on it to take over my lease as I ma moving out

There's no point in going to a library to look up B&B's, we have the internet now. Also, look at Travelodge for short term accom, they are basic but clean and new and you can get a room from £19 a night

I just had a look at London Craigslist and out of 20 or so ad's I looked at, 100% of them were clearly fake (e.g. £90 a week for an ensuite room in high st ken = FAKE!!!)

Please be careful with Gumtree and Craigslist. The only site I have seen without scammers is Spareroom
    up4it wrote: »
    I've worked in London and many public libraries can provide a list of local B&Bs. Most universities also provide lists and these can be found using google.

Other than that it is a case of using gumtree/craigslist for house-shares.

A very good website I have also used is easyroommate..

http://uk.easyroommate.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

Thanks for the replies-I'll pass them on and hopefully he'll have his own bed in the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭up4it

You can find B&Bs on the internet and have found some good ones that way. But from my own experience I found the best way was to get a hard-copy paper list from the library. As these lists show quite a few B&Bs that do not advertise themselves.

Though, not all libraries do it.

Travel Lodges are good and cheap if booked in advance but can be booked-up and full for months in advance.

I did once have a chance of living on a barge on the canal (Great) but I knew my contract was ending soon!

Advertisement