Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you smart web developers help me?

Options
  • 20-06-2011 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi there,

I have my own website up for my Graphic Design Stuff, and i'm having issues with the flash content that is on my page. When I go through the scripting i'm getting this whole download link to upgrade your flash player on my webpage and is actually messing up the way my page looks(it says "content on this page requires a higher version on flash" and then has a button that will take you too the adobe website). I tried deleting the code that is attached to the flash code and it's still showing up after I update my files to my server.. Does anyone know how to get rid of the download a newer flash version button?

I know flash is kinda ****ty, but I just like it.

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Post up a link, it could be an issue specific to your pc/browser/flash...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Sounds like this may be client side only, so won't be having a negative effect on your site visitors.

Try visiting Youtube and see does it show a Flash update the same. Update your browser to latest version too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

If someone's viewing on iPhone or iPad, that message is all they'll see.

Your logic about Flash being kinda ****ty but still using it is flawed; Internet Explorer 6 is supremely ****ty but I still have to cater for it.

Basically, when it comes to the web, it's not your preferences that count if you want people to see your site.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭afterhours

I'm just looking for advice.. it's not i have ****ty logic, that's not being the nicest.. I just need expert advice and actually I fixed the problem. thanks.
    My server just didn't upload the new webpage, it took it's time..

Thanks for the formal reply Ricky91t, I rather not be insulted .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

afterhours wrote: »
    I'm just looking for advice.. it's not i have ****ty logic, that's not being the nicest.. I just need expert advice and actually I fixed the problem. thanks.
    My server just didn't upload the new webpage, it took it's time..

Thanks for the formal reply Ricky91t, I rather not be insulted .

Excuse me ? Your own phrase was
    I know flash is kinda ****ty, but I just like it.

I said
    Your logic about "Flash being kinda ****ty but still using it" is flawed

So I said your logic was flawed, and told you that your site won't work on multiple platforms; I used your own phrase.

So I have no idea why you decided to interpret it differently and get insulted, but that's your choice too.

For the record, though it is indeed sound expert advice to tell someone that they should ignore their own personal preferences when developing a website, particularly when they've admitted themselves that "Flash is ****ty" and that they're only using it because they like it.

I like cars, but I wouldn't use them if the task at hand required a tractor.

Still - no skin off my nose if you want to ignore expert advice.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I had to re read it all.. sigh..now I look like a dope.
    Thanks, you're right about internet explorer it's awful.

But it did fix itself.. Thinking of just getting rid or all the flash anyway.. flash doesn't have good accessibility, am i correct?

Carl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

More expert advice: don't use Flash. It causes many more problems than just accessibility. Lots of jQuery things that can do much of what you want.

Hey! thanks!! I do have jquery on my site already and it's fantastic!
    totally gonna agree, have to get rid of it (the flash).

I have abit more learning to do anyways..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

afterhours don't be afraid of being insulted, At the end of the day it won't be insulting it'll be criticism, I'm in no position to offer that anyway as you can see by my websites in the sig!

If you want to PM me a link I'll have a look and just let you know what the issue is, If not that's all right then. But as suggested by others flash isn't a good path to go down due to mobile devices.

Advertisement