Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Arts Degree - how does it work?

Options
  • 20-06-2011 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Many of you who visit the Leaving Cert forum here would know about the bashing that goes on with regards to Arts degrees.

Quite frankly I don't understand the whole conspiracy against Arts. For some colleges I've seen, the subjects you take as part of an Arts degree have pretty much the same modules and are the same course as the direct route.

NUIM in particular, I noticed that Psychology through Arts and pure have exactly the same course. I've seen differences with some colleges, like UCD where you can only take Psychology as a minor and must do pure if you wish to pursue further options in Psych.

Otherwise is it because Arts degrees in general have different structure (and maybe less modules) than subjects by themselves that people bash them or is it something else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

In actual college, no-one gives a damn except snobs and jackasses. Who has the time to look down on someone else's course?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

In actual college, no-one gives a damn except snobs and jackasses. Who has the time to look down on someone else's course?

Tell that to the colleges where graffiti is written next to a toilet "Arts degree pull here".

Oh please, that's an old joke. Silly and friendly rivalry is one thing. People actually looking down actively on others? Don't really see it, and I've been in science and in arts. I mean, I might be wrong, but that's my take on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Arts is probably one of most common degree titles. That alone speaks volumes about it's economic worth.

Naikon wrote: »
    Arts is probably one of most common degree titles. That alone speaks volumes about it's economic worth.

*facepalm*

• Advertisement

*facepalm*

A facepalm does not serve as a rebuttal I am afraid.

A facepalm does not serve as a rebuttal I am afraid.

Really? You really want to play this game? Right.

1) Scarcity does not solely determine economic worth. By that argument the Leaving Cert is worthless because so many people in Ireland have it.

2) The value added in a degree is in the graduate, not the specific degree title.

3) Having a degree at all automatically puts you in an educated minority, so assertions of economic worth should take that into account.

I feel like I'm wasting my time with this discussion though, because you're giving the impression of someone who solely wants to make snide comments about any degree that isn't his own. Also, you had two errors in a two-sentence post about the worthlessness of the humanities.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

2) The value added in a degree is in the graduate, not the specific degree title.

I'm afraid that's just not true, prospective employers may get hundreds of CVs for a job and need some criteria to decide who gets an interview or not. I'm not saying one degree is worth more than another but people often don't see the graduate, they see the degree first!

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Really? You really want to play this game? Right.

1) Scarcity does not solely determine economic worth. By that argument the Leaving Cert is worthless because so many people in Ireland have it.
    The only worth the Leaving Cert has is to get people into college. Try forging a well-paying career on the back of just your LC.
    Yes, but someone who hypothetically graduates with a degree in Philosophy and Politics is going to have an esoteric and difficult to apply skill set in comparison to someone with a more practical degree e.g engineering, science etc.
    3) Having a degree at all automatically puts you in an educated minority, so assertions of economic worth should take that into account.
    Over 40% of the 25-34 age group in Ireland have degrees. So while yes globally we're in the educated minority, in Ireland, there's a lot of graduates to compete with.
    I feel like I'm wasting my time with this discussion though, because you're giving the impression of someone who solely wants to make snide comments about any degree that isn't his own. Also, you had two errors in a two-sentence post about the worthlessness of the humanities.
    Don't be that guy.

The attitude illustrated by the poster in question reaffirms my thoughts. They have your money, I doubt the Institution could give two ****s about the apparent worth of your degree. You bought into their brand, that is all that matters on their watch. 3 years experience will beat an Arts Degree hands down. Too many people with Arts Degrees these days. This is a hard fact. Common knowledge actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 ceol1991

wat do you think the points will be on monday for nuim psychology

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

What exactly do they teach you in an Arts degree anyway, I've never actually bothered checking it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

ceol1991 wrote: »
    wat do you think the points will be on monday for nuim psychology

No one knows, its a supply and demand thing. A more interesting question would be why is this "College" forum so unpopular?
    Lenmeister wrote: »
    What exactly do they teach you in an Arts degree anyway, I've never actually bothered checking it out.

I said this in my first post. It depends on what subjects you take and in some colleges (Eg NUIM) the course structure is the same as direct routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

Maybe so. Have a look at the vast majority of our judiciary. Many have arts degrees, it was no barrier to their appointment to the Supreme Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

karaokeman wrote: »
    No one knows, its a supply and demand thing. A more interesting question would be why is this "College" forum so unpopular?

I said this in my first post. It depends on what subjects you take and in some colleges (Eg NUIM) the course structure is the same as direct routes.

Ahh you missed my point, sure no worries I'll go check it out myself and see what it's about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Mr_Man!

Arts Degrees, Science degrees whatever. Its all relative to what you wanna do. When you're looking for a job your employer is going to look at what you're degree is in not just if it is a B.A or B.Sc.

If i wanted to become a translator I would obviously look to complete a B.A in French & Spanish. If i want to work in the drugs industry I would look to complete a B.Sc in Industrial Biochemistry.

The whole arts vs other degrees is childish and ridiculous.

Advertisement