Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my pups poo is a strange color

• 20-06-2011 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi all

I have a 5 month old Lab/whippet cross.

I have been having some problems with her the last week.
    I posted up a thread here about her having diarrhea due to her not agreeing with a change of food

I took her off the food and have been giving her boiled chicken and rice
    twice daily. and i have order food off the vet witch i will be introducing her gradually during the week

her poos have been solid but they are now a bright yellowy color

Can anyone tell me if this is normal or what is it a sign of ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

For my guy I'd consider brighter yellow/peanut butter colour to be upset tummy because his are normally much darker. It may just be the fact that all she's eating is chicken and rice so not really a balanced diet as such. If they're firm I wouldn't worry about it but if they get softer/runny/smelly or she's passing any mucus with the poo i'd try a probiotic like diarsanyl or pro-kolin etc. I always have some RC sensitivity and a tube of probiotic in stock just in case we need it. I prefer diarsanyl over prokolin thou really they're probably then same and it's just the vanilla smell that's making me get the diarsanyl lol! I get it from vetuk.co.uk

Did you ever think you'd be so interested in poo lol?

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

How long has she been on the chicken and rice?
    It could be a sign of a tummy problem/bug.
    Is she ok in herself otherwise?
    If her poo is solid i would probably keep an eye on her just to make sure she is drinking, not getting sick etc. If she is having tummy trouble maybe some pro kolin might help. You can ask for a small tube at the vets.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TYJ

Lovely :D

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

Sparky, its normal for her poo to change colour as she's eating a different diet. I have to do this (the chicken and rice thing) with our lad once in a while. His poo goes a creamy colour but it reverts to normal when he's back on the dog food.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sparky89

How long has she been on the chicken and rice?
    It could be a sign of a tummy problem/bug.
    Is she ok in herself otherwise?
    If her poo is solid i would probably keep an eye on her just to make sure she is drinking, not getting sick etc. If she is having tummy trouble maybe some pro kolin might help. You can ask for a small tube at the vets.

She has been on it for 3 days now
    Her form is normal and she is still fu of energy and palying etc
    She hasnt been sick yet or showing any signs of sickness
    Shes drinking as normal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sparky89

tk123 wrote: »
    For my guy I'd consider brighter yellow/peanut butter colour to be upset tummy because his are normally much darker. It may just be the fact that all she's eating is chicken and rice so not really a balanced diet as such. If they're firm I wouldn't worry about it but if they get softer/runny/smelly or she's passing any mucus with the poo i'd try a probiotic like diarsanyl or pro-kolin etc. I always have some RC sensitivity and a tube of probiotic in stock just in case we need it. I prefer diarsanyl over prokolin thou really they're probably then same and it's just the vanilla smell that's making me get the diarsanyl lol! I get it from vetuk.co.uk

Did you ever think you'd be so interested in poo lol?

Her poos are solid but shes not passing much

im learing an awful lot about poos lol and its quite gross lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

sparky89 wrote: »
    Her poos are solid but shes not passing much

Sounds like its just the chicken and rice then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

sparky89 wrote: »

Welcome to the world of dog ownership! :D Just wait until it starts to become dinnertime talk! :D

Advertisement