Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scanner - coastguard- jobs.

• 20-06-2011 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

anyone know what the story is with gettin a job in the coastguard? when are they advertised?
    It seems to be a very glamorous job to be in , lots of gold braid and badges on the uniforms that would take years and years for a garda or soldier to get,
    They also seem to have lots of (groupe) type characters that hang around at all the drills and exercises with their big cameras and scanner radios hanging out of them.
    the public attention and all the civic receptions would be of great appeal to me.
    I live near waterford anyway .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

From what i heard it'll be while although CHC did recruit back in january i think.

Maybe you should perhaps look at volunteering with a local lifeboat station for the time being although by the sounds of it your probably too young. Still i suppose they could do with a hand with regards cleaning and maintainance.

Then again that wouldn't have public attention that you want out of it nor would you be wearing your 'gold braids' And i think the groupies you speak of have more of an interest in the Helicopter than they actually people.

But you should consider the volunteering/ lifeboat side of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 freakwencydb

Thanks so much for your kind advice , I shall call to the dunmore lifeboat crew over the weekend to see if I can do anything for them and take it from there, Ive done the Garda vetting process anyway , I presume that is required If you were on the crew or the shore crew,
    Yea I think your correct re the crowd that follow the heli around , they seem to be a very excitable lot , saw a good few of them at the demo in Kilmore in CO wexford ,
    How many photos of an s61 does one actually need , some of them also had several radio scanners tuning in and eavesdropping on the procedings.
    They way I looked at it was if these nerds were so facinated by it all , Why werent they actually doing the job.?
    I used to live near a heli base in Bessbrook in the early 90s and have heard and seen eneough helis to last me a while.

1.some of them also had several radio scanners tuning in and eavesdropping on the procedings.......

2.How many photos of an s61 does one actually need.........

3.if these nerds were so facinated by it all , Why werent they actually doing the job.?
    right so you clearly appear to be criticising these individual for there hobby but.....2 days ago
    whats the best scanner to get for portable use and also for mobile use to fit permenantly in my jeep, Im in the waterford area and the guys that are at all the Rnli demos and shouts seem to be using bearcats

Making an observation is all that I am guilty of , If that happens to be a crime against humanity fair eneogh Im guilty.
    All I observed was the number of guys carrying radios and taking photos at the event in Co wexford, they seemed to very excited by the s61 heli, as were numerous small children but these guys were well past their childhood,
    I understand its a hobby , there are lots of hobbies , I myself am interested in a scanner for a different purpose.
    But I suppose what harm are they doing anyway.

+1 just makin an observation also......

best of luck with the volunteering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

I myself am interested in a scanner for a different purpose.

Oh yes? And what, pray tell would that 'different purpose' be? Nothing naughty, I hope.

I am one of the 'nerds' of which you speak. I am a scanner enthusiast and I also happen to like aircraft (growing up surrounded by them helped there). I also do occasionally venture out into the real world in order to go on duty with the voluntary emergency service with which I've been involved for the past six years. Sadly our gold braid is non-existent (dull grey uniforms is our lot) and badges are at a premium. We do occasionally save lives though, if that's any consolation.

And it was one of your so-called 'nerds' who started and carried through the successful campaign to stop the former government from cutting back the 24-hour rescue helicopter cover in Waterford in order to save a mere million squid a year. Remember, as part of the reasoning for halving Rescue 117's cover the minister stated the S61N helo cannot fly through cloud or at night, thus exposing him to public derision.

Please get your facts right prior to posting, it would be appreciated, by me at least.

+1 on the grey uniform

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

On the one hand he likes the gold braid the uniform and public attention, on the other he knocks the very people whose attention he wants.

So he just wants to join up for the attention, well sorry pal its a bloody dangerous job the Coastguard and emergency services do and they dont do it for public attention. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

We were showing some grey uniforms around 116 a few months ago. I normally wear blue uniform and orange overalls. Scanners to listen to public channels are fine and can be interesting. Once people don't interfere with comms I don't see any problems.

I dislike the public occasions but it's part of what we do as it helps to educate the people and can prevent incidents. The numer one uniform isn't used much as it's not the best for what we normally do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Without public support the service would not exist, dont forget its the public who pay for the service, look what happened in Waterford when the their was huge public outrage when the Government tried to cut the helicopter rescue service at Waterford.

Its very important for all emergency services to engage with the public and show them what they do, I have nothing but the greatest respect for all emergency service workers.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know what experience or qualifications are needed tp join up the coastguard as a volunteer, Ive check on the websites and theres no info on it.
    I might pop down to dunmore or tramore over the weekend and have a chat if they are about.
    All the other emergency and rescue services seem to have strict guidlines re membership and require qualifications , Ie Police, Army , medical people,etc.
    Is there Garda vetting required to get in to the CS as a volunteer, ?

Advertisement