Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A tale of woe and Word of Caution

Options
  • 20-06-2011 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Good evening Ladies and Gents,

For anyone who may be considering dealing with a gentleman from the Newry area, you may find the following thread on full-bore.co.uk of interest.

<snip>

In order to make life easier for the board owners and administrators no name has been mentioned,and would ask that any replies on the board show the same consideration, but should you have any concerns please feel free to pm me.

all the best Phil

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 22 marksman74

Bit of a pain in the ass that we have to register and wait for website administrators to grant us access to this site before we can read the article - could you not just copy and paste in into a post ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

do ya have to join to read it?

Dont know if I'm doin sometin wrong, but when I click the link it brings me straight to a "Login" page

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Artiglio

Morning gents,

Apologies all round, my lack of IT skills has resulted in this problem, I tested link when I posted and all was well, but only because I am a member of the board and so the cookie was detected and I was allowed access. The administrator for full-bore is looking for a fix as I type. The thread on full- bore is 5 pages long and follows the whole sorry affair and would not be practical to copy across to this forum.
    I asked permission from Boards.ie before posting this thread as I did not want it removed for any possible legal issues and it was agreed that by posting the link, such issues were avoided.
    So much for planning.

Hopefully all will be sorted soon, regards phil

Artiglio wrote: »
    Morning gents,

Apologies all round, my lack of IT skills has resulted in this problem, I tested link when I posted and all was well, but only because I am a member of the board and so the cookie was detected and I was allowed access. The administrator for full-bore is looking for a fix as I type. The thread on full- bore is 5 pages long and follows the whole sorry affair and would not be practical to copy across to this forum.
    I asked permission from Boards.ie before posting this thread as I did not want it removed for any possible legal issues and it was agreed that by posting the link, such issues were avoided.
    So much for planning.

Hopefully all will be sorted soon, regards phil

Thanks for getting back so quickly - will drop back in a while - sounds like an interesting read !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Just read it, i'd be surprised if you don't win you'r case,best of luck.

Marlin VS, many thanks for your support, the "gentleman" in question has had every opportunity to resolve the issue and declined to do so, the matter is in the hands of the "Enforcements of Judgements Office" and I have every intention of pursuing the issue to the end.

Regards phil

OK the full-bore admin have worked their magic, link in top post has been amended and it is here as well, put the kettle on and settle down for a long read

<snip>

Regards phil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I joined last night to read it, interesting stuff alright. Am looking forward to hearing the outcome, best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

Hi Phil,
    Interesting reading all right, I for one usually take the view that there is always two sides to every story but it does appear on the face of it that you have a legitimate reason to feel aggrieved to say the least.
    Is there any possibility of you giving us a clearer picture as to whom it was you were dealing with in N.I. as quite a number of us down South do business up there?

Mark.

• Advertisement

Good morning Mark,

Thanks for your comments, before I started this thread I sought permission from the administrators who in turn contacted the board owners and legal team, in short it was decided that even though the court case was outside the ROI judgement had been found in my favour through the courts and that I have given the "gentleman" in question every chance to defend/settle the issue, it would be best for actual names not to be used. The only place his name appeared was on the fclass website for sale page that I refer to in the thread along with his phone number, as this was posted by him on a public site there was no issue, amazingly enough the same day I posted on other boards this advert has been removed.
    In order to comply with the boards requests, I will not be posting his name publicly, apparently I'm not the only person within the shooting community to have had problems (this has been conveyed to me by others and I hasten to add I cannot verify these stories) and hopefully some of these will be aired here as well.
    I'm sure more than a few people will connect the dots and if you know people within the fclass scene then all I'm sure will be made clear.
    However should you or anyone else be contemplating a deal with someone you consider may be the "man" in question please feel free to PM me.
    Best regards phil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

I was actually told your story about 3 weeks ago by someone I would trust that also formally dealt with this 'gentleman'.

He said he was a dangerous character and best to be avoided.

I hope you get a successful conclusion mate. It's unfortunate we can't just name and shame openly; but I can see where Boards are coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Dachipster

Any closer to a 'successful' outcome?

Good morning ladies and gents,

There has still been no resolution to this story, I've kept the thread on the full-bore site updated, but will summarise what's happened since last post here,

The " defendant" applied to the original court to have the judgement set aside , this was dismissed and the judgement stands.

Having not complied with the judgement, "he" was interviewed by the enforcement of judgements office, to present his financial situation, at this meeting no offer to pay was made. The EJO will now investigate his statement and decide on way forward.

Is could take some time.

The system is heavily in favour of the debtor and I will be extremely cautious in any dealings in northern Ireland.

I'll post an update as and when any progress is made. On the bright side I managed to shoot the first day of the fclass Europeans ( work commitments prevented attending the second day) and the rifle performed superbly, a testament to the of the southern Irish smith who fitted the barrel.

All the best phil

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mayfly36

Good morning ladies and gents,

There has still been no resolution to this story, I've kept the thread on the full-bore site updated, but will summarise what's happened since last post here,

The " defendant" applied to the original court to have the judgement set aside , this was dismissed and the judgement stands.

Having not complied with the judgement, "he" was interviewed by the enforcement of judgements office, to present his financial situation, at this meeting no offer to pay was made. The EJO will now investigate his statement and decide on way forward.

Is could take some time.
    The system is heavily in favour of the debtor and I will be extremely cautious in any dealings in northern Ireland.

I'll post an update as and when any progress is made. On the bright side I managed to shoot the first day of the fclass Europeans ( work commitments prevented attending the second day) and the rifle performed superbly, a testament to the of the southern Irish smith who fitted the barrel.

All the best phil

I really hope you get htis sorted, but you cant tar everyone from N.I with the same brush, youve had a real bad experience yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

mayfly36 wrote: »
    I really hope you get htis sorted, but you cant tar everyone from N.I with the same brush, youve had a real bad experience yes.

It's not the people, it's the legal avenues open to him which he has lost confidence in.

Yes i understand that, but the wording would suggest inadvertintly that its the People, not the system that he would be cautious about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

mayfly36 wrote: »
    Yes i understand that, but the wording would suggest inadvertintly that its the People, not the system that he would be cautious about.

I'd disagree, the first 2 words of the sentence are "The system".

It leaves me in no doubt about why he would bring his business elsewhere.

Vegeta wrote: »
    I'd disagree, the first 2 words of the sentence are "The system".

It leaves me in no doubt about why he would bring his business elsewhere.

And another 2 are "Any Dealings". Listen its not a problem to me, but if it were to say or instance "any dealings in a certain county in the south, im sure someone would take offence, because they lived in that county, as if it was aimed at them as a seller or whoever from that county. I would agree that if i had bad dealings from a private sale, or dealer i would not return to that person either, but i would not have any problems going to any other business in that area at the same time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

From the OPs description of events here, and on other sites linked to above he has made no derogatory remarks about Northern Ireland, its people, or its businesses. Personally i find that incredible as human nature alone, would sour a person. I mean how many times have we all had dealings with one individual in a store and those dealings have soured us against using that store even thought the shop itself is generall of good quality.

I for one am disappointed, and slightly angered that someone that thought to use an Irish dealer rather than the large variety of English dealers should be treated in such a manner. Word of mouth can spread, and as mayfly36 said about tarring all Northern dealers how do you think word of this will spread abroad. It'll be seen as Irish. It could set back all the hard work that the honest, and professional dealers have done over the years.

Thankfully the OP seems to understand this and can differentiate between a professional that does the work, and someone that has abused his trust in the sale.

@ Artiglio - Please do keep us updated. You have shown great resolve in pursuing the matter to this stage, and i have no doubt that according to the results, and outcomes you have reportd that your claims are true, and genuine, and you will succeed in the end.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Good afternoon gents,

Thanks for the words of support. Just to make my position clear,

My reluctance to have any further dealings in Northern Ireland is PURELY a reflection of the legal system and the way it works, my experience to date is that in the event of having a problem you get little support resolving it despite having a judgement in my favour.
    Whilst trying to resolve this issue I have spoken to many people and with the exception of " my man" have not had a negative or misleading response. There have obviously been people who have chosen not to take sides but this I can understand as they have to make a decision based on the information I have presented.
    In many respects the worst part of the matter is that this one "man" has been the one negative experience I have had within the shooting community.
    Apologies for any offence caused.
    I'll update as things progress, but this will probably be some time.

Regards phil

Good day Gents,

This saga drags on and "my man" refuses to pay up.As its the time of year when people may be looking at new rifles and equipment for the coming season and to try and stop anyone else making a similar error its time to name.

<snip>
    as being the guilty party, I have added scans of the judgement against him to the thread on full-bore which has a link in my original post.

In the interest of fair play my full name is Philip Shambrook.

All the best phil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Good luck to you Phil. Following the info online it's been a long slog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

I've heard the story from the start form someone who was well informed on the matter.
    Fair play for finally being able to warn everyone with his actual name.
    From what I hear it's best to give him a VERY wide berth.

Good morning people,

I've had a reply on this subject from another forum, apparently " my man" took money up front for a rifle and then did not supply the goods. I've pointed the customer to this thread.
    As far as my case is concerned, the matter is still with the EJO, there appears to be little if any progress.
    "my man" is currently offering rifles and equipment for sale on a couple of sites, its probably too much to hope that he'll use the proceeds from any sales to settle his debt with me.
    Should the judgement not be settled, the next stage is to apply for a payment order from the courts.
    This , as I understand it, is a monthly payment set by the court, default on any payment automatically results in an arrest warrant and court appearance at which a ( short) prison term is likely. Each payment has the same penalty and the outstanding payment is still liable. Though given the way the matter has gone so far, I do wonder how much effort would go into serving the arrest warrant.
    Fortunately I have a sackful of patience and will wait and see.

All the best phil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Good morning people,

I've had a reply on this subject from another forum, apparently " my man" took money up front for a rifle and then did not supply the goods. I've pointed the customer to this thread.
    As far as my case is concerned, the matter is still with the EJO, there appears to be little if any progress.
    "my man" is currently offering rifles and equipment for sale on a couple of sites, its probably too much to hope that he'll use the proceeds from any sales to settle his debt with me.
    Should the judgement not be settled, the next stage is to apply for a payment order from the courts.
    This , as I understand it, is a monthly payment set by the court, default on any payment automatically results in an arrest warrant and court appearance at which a ( short) prison term is likely. Each payment has the same penalty and the outstanding payment is still liable. Though given the way the matter has gone so far, I do wonder how much effort would go into serving the arrest warrant.
    Fortunately I have a sackful of patience and will wait and see.

All the best phil

Well mate the best of luck too you, keep us posted

DH1

Good evening ,

Despite my earlier misgivings, the EJO have come up trumps and today I received a cheque settling the matter in full.
    Many thanks to the EJO and all those who have offered advice,help and support.

Regards phil

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

A long, hard road for you, but you persevered, and won out in the end.

Great news.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement