Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holding On To A Lead

Options
  • 20-06-2011 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just wondering how do you guys hold on to a lead?

I've often gone 2 goals up, only for the opposition to come back at me and equalise, sometimes even netting a 3rd.

I've tried most things - dropping deeper and going defensive, leaving my tactics as they are, or even trying to go for another goal to completely kill the game off, but still nothing really changes.

Is the game scripted slightly to ensure that the opposition has a good chance of coming back once they go a couple of goals behind?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Are you conceding the goals right after scoring or later on in the match?

Theirs a few things you can do, normally in a post-match press conference they will ask something like "It must be tough for your team to concede a goal so late in the match etc.."
    I choose the very top option, cant remember what it says but something like "Its tough but hopefully they will learn not to concede so late on"

If they are scoring later in the match bring on a pair of fresh legs, maybe another holding midfielder/defender.

Change you tactic to control and retain possession after you score.

Turn down timewasting in your team tactics page, sometimes it can be up too high and cause players to get stuck in sticky situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Do you have an away formation where you're a big underdog and want to hold out for a draw? I've used this formation for Udinese and have been competitive away from home against the big sides in seria A. If I've a lead against most sides I'd revert to this formation either with Control or Defensive depending on opposition strength.

CF
    IF
    IF
    BWM
    ---DLP-DLP---
    WBCBCBWB
    GK

Defensive.
    Offside trap.
    Counter attack.

I try retain possession, stay on feet, work ball into box, hassle opponents, show onto weak foot and tight mark their defenders (so my forwards are more inclined to win back the ball further up the field) and their central midfielders. I've used the above formation and found it very useful for killing off games when I've got a lead or even when I'm away from home and don't want to concede early. If we're playing too far up the field against pacey forwards like Eto'o, I'd tell them to drop deeper. I haven't got a fast enough keeper to try setting him as a sweeper keeper but if you feel like yours is up for the task set him as one.

The two DLP (one support, one defend) help keep the ball and break up attacks as it's very rare for teams to pressurise them sufficiently. The attacking trio occupy an opponents back 4 whilst the IF(A) don't track their wide defenders like a defensive winger they offer a far greater attacking threat for counters with the complete forward(A) dropping deep and playing the ball wide to the inside forwards. A good ball winning midfielder with support is crucial as his tendency is to follow the ball and gets forward, vital in case the complete forward has drifted wide or deep. Wingbacks are best as they take up the areas left free by the IF who move inside, don't set them to cross often and from deep as unless it's a counter attack most crosses lead to losing possession and leave yourself exposed.

You'll probably notice you're not seeing as much possession as you'd like as with only one BWM and 2 DLP you're not pressing their midfield as much, if you have a striker with good workrate and teamwork set him to Defensive forward to help out in midfield. You're sacrificing pressing to an extent at the expensive of having 6 or 7 outfielders between the ball and the goal. It's just that one zone between your BWM and CF that's exposed so note any opposition player that is getting a high pass rate of success and tell your players to close him down, tight mark and show onto weaker foot. With luck he's too far from your goal to deliver a killer pass.

For you're ball winning midfielder I've had success with Mariga, Asamoah, and Khedira contributing plenty of goals in the role. Most wide players are able to be inside forwards once they're pacey and good dribblers, in this formation they often get to run at CBs rather than the WBs or FBs so favour players with good finishing to maximise your chances of scoring on the break.

With the DLPs have your better passer as the defensive role as he'll get more passes so maximise him there and the weaker player in the support. I've used Inler(D) and Badu(S) or Battochio(S). Don't set them with the same role as I find it's better to stagger them so as to lessen the likelihood of them both being pressed at once. Along with them your wingbacks generally do the most passing so favour fast WBs above all and then look at tackling and passing ability. As your IFs won't be covering them very well they need to be fast.

Hope some of that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Brilliant lads, cheers! I'll give those a go.

Advertisement