Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Prayer to the Mother Danu By: StormPheonix

Options
  • 21-06-2011 3:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Oh great mother, Listen to the woes of your Daughter. I need your Guidance and your Wisdom. Shine your blessed light down on me and guide my path. Walk with me as I learn your mysteries. Help me if I stumble and I will be strong. Bless the ones I love, my family, my friends, and my sisters. As I honor you, bless them with your love and light sweet mother. Help me let go of fear and the pain of my past, to move forward with your truth, guide and bless my Spirit which I dedicate to you with all my heart. Thank you mother Danu, Blessed Be

For me, the essence of the universe and all its creativity is female. Danu (also known as Anu) is the earth goddess from whom all life emerged. She is considered the mother goddess of all Celtic gods and mother of Ireland’s original mythical inhabitants, the Túatha Dé Danaan, or fairy-folk. Danu embodied the earth, rivers and sea and she offered fertility, abundance, regeneration and nurturing. She is symbolised by two raised earthworks in the landscape which resemble breasts known as ‘the Paps of Anu’, in Co.Kerry. The Ancient Irish made sure that we couldn’t fail to notice Danu’s sensual beauty by erecting mounds of stones which they positioned on the hills to represent her nipples.

PapsOfAnu1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Lovely prayer, OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭CuAnnan

limra wrote: »
    Blessed Be
    Why are you ending a prayer to an Irish God with a context-specific phrase from a British Witchcraft tradition?
    Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against British people, British religions or non-Irish religions (at all).
    I just don't understand why you're using a loaded term like "blessed be" in this context?
    For me, the essence of the universe and all its creativity is female.
    I don't know whether it's that you don't understand the meaning of the word "essence" or whether you're just a subjectivist.

The universe and creativity cannot be 'male' or 'female' as they are gender things. They are biological. They are to do with what genes you have and, therefore, what creative organs and other jiggly bits you have.

While I believe that Deities may well have gender, that is because I believe they are corporeal entities.

Creativity is not a corporeal entity. You are assigning the value of "female" to the universe. The universe cannot be either male or female.
    Danu (also known as Anu) is the earth goddess from whom all life emerged.
    Can I get a Citation from a first source for that, please?
    Both that she is an "earth goddess" and that "all life emerged" from her.
    She is considered the mother goddess of all Celtic gods
    For the sake of intellectual integrity, you should avoid saying things like "Celtic". It is a linguistic grouping of loosely related languages.
    The Gael are not the same ethnic group as the Bretons or the Mid European peoples of the La tennes.
    and mother of Ireland’s original mythical inhabitants, the Túatha Dé Danaan, or fairy-folk.
    Why are you conflating "Tuatha Dé Dannan" with fairy-folk?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

You may as well be arguing with a block wall CuAnnan, you'll also note that Limra is banned for boards.ie

Tabnabs wrote: »
    You may as well be arguing with a block wall CuAnnan, you'll also note that Limra is banned for boards.ie

Uh... sorry, I missed that s/he was banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭clyhh

CuAnnan wrote: »
    Why are you ending a prayer to an Irish God with a context-specific phrase from a British Witchcraft tradition?
    Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against British people, British religions or non-Irish religions (at all).
    I just don't understand why you're using a loaded term like "blessed be" in this context?

Does it matter??
    Aren't pagans meant to be tolerant of each others personal beliefs?
    So, again.... Does it matter??

That was a lovely prayer.... thanks for sharing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

clyhh wrote: »
    Does it matter??

That wasn't about belief. It's a legitimate point, most people would address a God or Goddess in a culturally appropriate manner. And since CuAnnan was kind enough to point out that they weren't being intolerant, even mentioning that fact in the very post you accused of intolerance, I really think you have it wrong.

Also, and this always rankles me, 'pagan' is an umbrella term that incorporates an astoundingly varied array of beliefs. Pagans can be as tolerant or intolerant as we like, depending on our personal ideologies. Assumptions are bad.

clyhh wrote: »
    No. Not even remotely.
    In fact, as a Gael, I am obliged to call out bull**** when I see it.
    Tolerance is less important than integrity.
    Tolerance is less important than honesty.
    Tolerance is less important than truth.
    And since you have to be tolerant of each other's personal beliefs, you cant say a damn thing about this.
    Or are we only supposed to be tolerant of faiths that you pre-approve?

Advertisement