Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband options: Rural North Kildare

• 21-06-2011 8:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭

Morning all.

I'm based outside Staplestown in North Kildare. I've been told that I am 'Very very far' from the exchange. Until recently I was getting just over 1Mb (1.3) downspeed. Although the ping was high, it was borderline acceptable for my needs.

However, it appear that a new build has depleted my bandwidth down to average .5 Mb. This has had a knock on effect on my Vodafone Sure Signal which now refuses to carry calls.

I have all but given up on my fixed line options. Prior to this I have had RippleCom out to perform a test and they couldn't get ample signal despite spending several hours trying to get one.

Anyone know of any other options for me out here?

Interestngly, I have excellent O2 signal and have been looking at their Hotspot option but I need all my kit talking to my current router which manages the IP's. Anyone know if the O2 solution can be hooked up to a standard wireless router to bridge it's signal?

Thanks for looking.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

E39MSport wrote: »

Interestngly, I have excellent O2 signal and have been looking at their Hotspot option but I need all my kit talking to my current router which manages the IP's. Anyone know if the O2 solution can be hooked up to a standard wireless router to bridge it's signal?

Thanks for looking.
    Ripplecom or eircom would be the choices in that area.

Look at the Dovado router stick in the Midband forum, it is a fully featured 3g to ethernet and wifi router. It can be housed externally to maximise 3g signal and the support is good.

A neighbour should only affect dsl at very long range , say over 4 miles , because they introduce crosstalk into your wires. In these cases eircom should give you a DSL cabinet nearer your home which is what they propose in longwood I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Thanks Sponge Bob. I'll check out the Dovado.

Apologies - just twigged the mega thread :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

If it makes any difference, I was called in to help family friends with a loss of internet. The line is somewhat over 3 miles long, and was limited to 1 mbit. They had a complete loss of sync. A nearby new house had been connected up with a phone line that week.

Anyway, a fault report was lodged even though the voice part of the line worked perfectly. Unfortunately I don't know what work the linesman came back to do but he didn't need to enter the houses in question and also I noticed no change to the wiring outside. In any case, full service was restored. Beyond simply plugging the line out from the DSLAM, I couldn't figure out what caused it. The signal margin before and after was a healthy 14dB so I decided it wasn't crosstalk.

This is a degradation of service so crosstalk could indeed cause it, but that's quite the drop in speed over one customer.

Nagging eircom to send out a technician could be a worthwhile endeavour but it depends on how seriously they take your issue. The auld "my line is a bit crackly", with a crisp packet nearby, can also work.

Cheers.

I just invested in a Dovado router :D

I know for sure that we have very good O2 strength here. To be honest, I wouldn't mind telling eircom to take a jump with their c. 50 sheets per month bills.

• Advertisement
Advertisement