Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transactions keep coming off my laser card!!

Options
  • 21-06-2011 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭

Long story short, I was out on Fri night. I hadn't spent any money in weeks and went a little crazy buying rounds. I didn't actually spend that much as I don't have much in my current account. Well, I woke up on Sat morn and online banking said i had -€17 in my account. Firstly, I didn't know my current account would allow me to do that as I've never set up anything for this.

Yesterday I lodged €50 into my account as I don't get paid until the end of the week and I have a credit card payment of €21 coming out sometime this week. Everything seemed fine as my balance was now +€34.

I logged into online banking last night again and my balance was -€7!!! I'm guessing more transactions from Fri night have been processed. I'm going to lodge more money today but my question is, could there be more transactions still due to come off and maybe are not doing so as I have sufficient funds in my account or am I pretty safe now. If I were to only lodge say €30 today to cover my credit card payment this week could it be possible that if there are more transactions from Fri night that only one or 2 could come off due to me only lodging a small amount of money and if I lodged more than €30, more transactions could come off due to me having sufficient funds?

Just in case your wondering, the reason I've no money in my current account at the moment is because all my money is in my post office savings as I'm off traveling soon (just so you don't think I'm stupid with money).

This has never happened before. Usually if I were using my laser card and I didn't have sufficient funds to meet the purchase the card would not allow me to do so. Should I be worried about fraud or just put it down to a very messy night not to be repeated? The reason why I don't think it's fraud is because Fri night is a blur so I can't really question any of the transactions. Could the bank tell me if there are more transactions waiting to be processed once I have sufficient funds? I'm freaking out here as although Fri night was a once off, my account has never allowed me to overdraw and still overdraw after I lodge money to offset it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

Can you not access an online statement to see what's what? If you haven't set up an overdraft perhaps it is some sort of unauthorised overdraft fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,502 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ring and check immediately would be the first thing, just to be sure.

I've noticed BOI have started allowing the odd laser to overdraw my account, I reckon it's so they can charge fees on it. Used to just get refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

I have online statements set up but all I can see is a date and a transaction number. There's nothing specific ie saying where the transaction was made. Sometimes it takes a few days for a transaction to change from a number to say the name of a pub etc.

I'm going to ring the bank at 10. I'm just more afraid that there could still be transactions waiting to come off but that I don't have sufficient funds to allow them yet. Is this a possibility?

The account is with BOI.

I just lodged money into my account and asked someone in the bank about the situation. They said that I don't have an overdraft facility set up on my account but that Laser themselves allow people to take out more than they have? I also asked if she could see any more transactions but she just said my balance was -€7 which I already knew so I lodged money to offset it and now my balance is +€68. I suppose I'll just have to play the waiting game to see what happens throughout the day. Hopefully that's it now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement