Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone Meteor

Options
  • 21-06-2011 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    My brothers wife got an upgrade on her bill phone on Friday just gone and got the new iPhone.

She didnt try and set it up until Sunday. She couldnt get it working so brought it to Meteor Store in Liffey Valley - they explained that it woudl have to by synced through iTunes etc and that was grand.
    They did that and once that was done she tried to make calls but could not here people on the other side - they coudl hear her but she couldnt hear them.

So on Monday she brought it back to Meteor in Mullingar (where she originally got it) and was told it would have to be sent for repair and that the contract is with apple not them (which is not true at all).
    Now this is an absolute disgrace!! Getting the phone on Friday - returning on Monday with a faulty phone only to be told it will have to be sent for repair and she will have to wait two weeks for it to come back!

Should they not have just replaced the phone ??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

No its the truth and its not Meteors fault. Its Apples policy to get all items returned to them for repair.

Or at least it was when i used to work in Smyths and had people trying to return Ipods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

Misticles wrote: »
    Hi,
    My brothers wife got an upgrade on her bill phone on Friday just gone and got the new iPhone.

She didnt try and set it up until Sunday. She couldnt get it working so brought it to Meteor Store in Liffey Valley - they explained that it woudl have to by synced through iTunes etc and that was grand.
    They did that and once that was done she tried to make calls but could not here people on the other side - they coudl hear her but she couldnt hear them.

So on Monday she brought it back to Meteor in Mullingar (where she originally got it) and was told it would have to be sent for repair and that the contract is with apple not them (which is not true at all).
    Now this is an absolute disgrace!! Getting the phone on Friday - returning on Monday with a faulty phone only to be told it will have to be sent for repair and she will have to wait two weeks for it to come back!

No man unfortunatley not.
    As soon as the box is opened, even if it was in store, it is out of meteors hands.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Apple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Hi Misticles,

i know its frustrating considering how new it is, but i find that when it comes to apple you really are better off dealing with them directly rather then with other mobile brands where you deal with the shop.

they have a 3 day turn around and they will usually replace the phone with a new one (i have dealt with them twice, the first time my phone broke, the second time i broke it, both times apple replaced it free of charge even the one where i dropped it and it stopped working, i was really nice on the phone and they helped me.)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Really??

That's disgraceful! I have advised her to come out of the contract via the cooling off period and move to 3!

I have posted on the Meteor forum and am awaiting a response back from a rep there!

Again its not meteors fault the same thing would happen with Three, actually even worse, they have indian based call centres!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

Yeah, totally Apple's problem now. I'd say the networks hate dealing with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Yeah, totally Apple's problem now. I'd say the networks hate dealing with them!
    Hi OP
    Meteor should be able to return it for repair on your behalf but it's way quicker to sent it directly, Apple have the fastest turn around I've seen.
    I've been selling iPhones for a number of years through a different network and we get a lot back with that issue, virtually every time it a case of the customer not removing the protective vinyl cover that's one the phone when you take it out of the box, make sure it's been taken off and then try making a call.

Gillo wrote: »
    Hi OP
    Meteor should be able to return it for repair on your behalf but it's way quicker to sent it directly, Apple have the fastest turn around I've seen.
    I've been selling iPhones for a number of years through a different network and we get a lot back with that issue, virtually every time it a case of the customer not removing the protective vinyl cover that's one the phone when you take it out of the box, make sure it's been taken off and then try making a call.

That's what I asked her Gillo (that happened to me) :o

She told me she had and sure the people in store would have noticed if she hadnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

It's not necessarily a hardware problem, but stores won't normally do much software troubleshooting. Try calling Apple and they will have a few things got try to see if it is a hardware problem or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Pineappletree

this may seem a bit off the topic but anyway..... I discovered the iphone is now available on Meteor and wanted to upgrade straight away, so I logged onto their site and used the text service where you text "Upgrade" to 50000 and they reply to let you know whether ur are entitled to it or not! So I was surprised when the replied saying you are eligable for an upgrade! However when I rang they said that this was not true and he was actually rude on the phone to me, "Dunno what thats about but its rubbish anyway!!" were his words. Do you think by pushing the complaint I could convince them to upgrade me??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hi,

Yes they should have just replaced the phone IMHO.

They have a 28day returns policy where if anything goes wrong with the handset(excluding customer damage) within the first 28days they will swop it for a new one, your contract is with the shop where the phone was bought not with meteor or apple.

If you send it back to apple you are likely to get a refurbished handset back not a new one.

foggy_lad wrote: »

They have a 28day returns policy where if anything goes wrong with the handset(excluding customer damage) within the first 28days they will swop it for a new one, your contract is with the shop where the phone was bought not with meteor or apple.

If you send it back to apple you are likely to get a refurbished handset back not a new one.

How will they know if its a refurbished phone when it comes back?

You won't know the difference, it'll be a brand new casing on it. Also refurbished handsets tend to have much higher quality control than a new model. I'd to send my own handset in a while back and to be honest the refurb I got back, you'd swear it was a brand new iphone.

Legally, you could demand that Meteor replace it, and then threaten with small claims court but that'll drag it out months when instead you could get what is virtually a brand new phone is about a week.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Because it will be a refurbished iphone, of impeccable quality and completely as-new. There's no if about it though, Apple will replace it with a refurbished unit.

It's really down to whether or not your brother's wife has a problem with that. I certainly wouldn't as I know first hand that Apple's refurbed units are as good as-new.

this may seem a bit off the topic but anyway..... I discovered the iphone is now available on Meteor and wanted to upgrade straight away, so I logged onto their site and used the text service where you text "Upgrade" to 50000 and they reply to let you know whether ur are entitled to it or not! So I was surprised when the replied saying you are eligable for an upgrade! However when I rang they said that this was not true and he was actually rude on the phone to me, "Dunno what thats about but its rubbish anyway!!" were his words. Do you think by pushing the complaint I could convince them to upgrade me??

yep
    remember
    all there calls are recorded!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

you should be able to tell by the serial number of the Iphone, this will tell when it was originally manufacturer,

foggy_lad wrote: »

please if you are going to give someone information at least make sure you 100% know uou are right.

The contract IS with meteor but the handdset is NOT.
    Meteor are telling the truth.
    Apple WILL give a brand new phone.

Its just a pin in the ass system and leaves the customer feeling frustrated, but thems are the rules.

The phone was purchased from Meteor so legally the contract is with Meteor. Apple are one of the few companies though who are better to deal with directly but the OP has every right to deal directly with Meteor if they choose.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

please if you are going to give someone information at least make sure you 100% know uou are right.

The contract IS with meteor but the handdset is NOT.

Meteor are telling the truth.
    Apple WILL give a brand new phone.

Its just a pin in the ass system and leaves the customer feeling frustrated, but thems are the rules.

Could you explain the highlighted text a bit? as I'd have the same interpretation of who the OP's brother's wife (from now on I'll refer to them as "the OP") contractual legal obligation lies with as Gillo and foggy_lad.

As for the iphone being "new", like I said in my previous post, it won't be "new" it'll be a refurb of impeccable quality and as-new, impossible to tell that it's not new, but it will in reality be a refurbished unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

He has the right, it doesn't mean he should exercise it.

easy way:

consumer > apple direct > consumer

hard way:

consumer > meteor > apple > meteor > consumer

• Advertisement

So if I get them to note the imei of the one that's gone for repair will they be able to tell?
    IMO it's unfair to replace a phone that's just been bought 2 days previous with a refurbished one!

Mactard wrote: »
    Could you explain the highlighted text a bit? as I'd have the same interpretation of who the OP's brother's wife (from now on I'll refer to them as "the OP") contractual legal obligation lies with as Gillo and foggy_lad.

As for the iphone being "new", like I said in my previous post, it won't be "new" it'll be a refurb of impeccable quality and as-new, impossible to tell that it's not new, but it will in reality be a refurbished unit.

Another words meteor dont make the phones, the contract you have is for meteors service.

Apple is wayyyyyyyyyyy different to the likes of nokia, samsung etc when supplying to stores.

I repeat meteor do not have to replace your handset and nor will they.
    All iphone related issues have to go through apple.

So if I get them to note the imei of the one that's gone for repair will they be able to tell?
    IMO it's unfair to replace a phone that's just been bought 2 days previous with a refurbished one!

You will get a brand new phone, relax.

Another words meteor dont make the phones, the contract you have is for meteors service.

? Currys don't make laptops, but if I buy a laptop from them, even an apple one, my contract is with Currys.

I'm not interested in Apple policy, what I'm interested in is learning the relevant legal facts that back up what you are saying.

Maybe you can clear this confusion up by posting the relevant source of your information?

Mactard wrote: »
    ? Currys don't make laptops, but if I buy a laptop from them, even an apple one, my contract is with Currys.

I'm not interested in Apple policy, what I'm interested in is learning the relevant legal facts that back up what you are saying.

Maybe you can clear this confusion up by posting the relevant source of your information?

Oh for the love of god. I wrote on this thread to help someone with a an issue he had. Now seriously im not going explaining legal issues and all that.

Talking about currys and laptops etc is a different ball game completely, remember the iphone is unique to other phones in so much that it has to be registered before you can even use the thing, its not a simple as popping your sim in. Thats were all the problms lie!

He can either listen to people guessing the truth or take my advice, to be honest now I couldnt give a monkeys.

Talking about currys and laptops etc is a different ball game completely, remember the iphone is unique to other phones in so much that it has to be registered before you can even use the thing, its not a simple as popping your sim in. Thats were all the problms lie!

If it is "a different ball game" there should be something to reference as such, all I'm asking for is that reference so I can know for myself in future. I'm looking to confirm what you are saying as legal fact.

The iphone either has a unique list rules/laws written somewhere that sets it apart from every other product covered under consumer law, or it does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

From a consumer perspective, which is what we deal with in this forum, the contract for services and goods is with Meteor.

If you choose to deal with Meteor, they will then deal with Apple. (They probably have signed a contract with Apple to that effect as part of the agreement to sell the iPhone).

It is easier to deal with Apple directly, as they offer excellent customer service. There will be no practical difference betewen a refurb phone and a new phone (what you consider a new phone may already even have been reworked on the assembly line before being shipped!). Apple do not send out bad merchandise.

dudara wrote: »
    From a consumer perspective, which is what we deal with in this forum, the contract for services and goods is with Meteor.

I'm certainly not questioning your modding Dudara indeed you do do a great job, but I've noticed a lot of times people do give out very wrong advice, case in point being this thread here (and admittedly Apple are a funny one), is it possible when the advice is given incorrectly that posts can be edited as it may oftern cause more grief for the OP's of various threads.
    But just to reiterate, as Mods go, I do think you do a great job.

Gillo wrote: »
    I'm certainly not questioning your modding Dudara indeed you do do a great job, but I've noticed a lot of times people do give out very wrong advice, case in point being this thread here (and admittedly Apple are a funny one), is it possible when the advice is given incorrectly that posts can be edited as it may oftern cause more grief for the OP's of various threads.
    But just to reiterate, as Mods go, I do think you do a great job.

I am taking that you would refer to my advice as "incorrect". So therefore my advice which is sound would have been deleted...hmmmm.
    Just because he or anyone is a moderator doesnt mean they are correct or they the have all the correct answers.

The question was innitally Should they not have just replaced the phone ??

and I answered that correctly, and if people think I am wrong well then go ahead and try get a new one direct from meteor and prove me wrong, not likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Vivagora

Id get off meteor as their 3G network is useless unless using the iphone in the cities. Vodafone 3G is excellent so worth paying a bit more for

Advertisement