Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A touching way to view Boards.ie

Options
  • 21-06-2011 10:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

Sorry I have a cheesy pun quota to fill...

After what's been a lot of hard work from Ross and some of the other Distilled Media tech people, we're delighted to announce that we have a new touch screen friendly version of Boards available at touch.boards.ie. This is intended as a major revamp for mobile browsing and should be considerably more friendly to use than m.boards.ie (which is still available). It works great on phones and tablets alike (I'm using it on a HTC Android device myself). It supports images, embedded YouTube clips and spoiler tags too, so it's a much more complete browsing experience.

So give it a look and let us know what you think. If you find any issues, please let us know and we'll do our best to address them.

Thank you all.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Looks good. I think I'll still use the full site to browse from my phone anyhow, but I like the way the subscribed forums and then all the rest are listed when you hit the forums button/tab.

Saying that though, I just went into reply to a thread to see the interface, then without entering a post, touched the thread link to go back to the thread and got an error:

Failed to decode JSON: Snytax error.

Edit: Tried the above again and no error, but definitely got it last time. When you click the thread title from the forum, it brings you to the last page, as it should, but from within the reply page, if you click the thread title under the "Post reply in" heading, it brings you back to the first page of the thread. Should this not bring you to the last page?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The normal site works just fine on my tablet so I won't have any use for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

tested on Samsung Galaxy S and it worked nicely :) much more navigable than the old m. site (and thats not because I haz pudgy fingers!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Maybe I'm just blind, but I can't find the User CP anywhere? I saw it yesterday..
    Also if there was a reply button at the bottom of the page too it'd help, save having to scroll back up. Definitely a huge improvement on m.boards though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Just trying it out now, typing this post. Looks handy so far, browsing mit mein handi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Just noticed there doesn't seem to be an edit button?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Thanks guys!

Viewing on a Desire HD. Haven't had a chance to play around fully but looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

My one issue is the forums tab- maybe break it down into catagories

otherwise looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Pretty snazzy. good job lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

My old subscriber avatar shows up in my posts. I'll enjoy that while it lasts :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Just testing it out now on the HTC mozart looks good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,906 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Tried to report a post and got:
    Failed to decode JSON: Syntax error.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Trying to log on with iphone, enter username and password but, when i press "My Threads" it keeps asking me for my name / password ?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Looks really great guys, well done. One note: you can only reply without quoting by clicking the pen icon at the top of the page, could that be on the bottom of the page too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Basq wrote: »

same here. Also, when you reply to a thread, it doesn't add a subscription for the thread.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It really is so much better to use than m.boards. Lovin it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Looks nice on an iPad, very slick interface and much easier to navigate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

tbh wrote: »
    Looks really great guys, well done. One note: you can only reply without quoting by clicking the pen icon at the top of the page, could that be on the bottom of the page too?

In the meantime though you can just tap "clear text" to quickly get rid of the quote. No need to scroll to the top of the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Excellent, thanks. Quick question: how do I "View First Unread" on the touch site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I like it. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

TheZohan wrote: »
    Looks nice on an iPad, very slick interface and much easier to navigate.
    Yikes! Disagree. It doesn't even size to the screen on the iPad and pinch zoom is disabled. Much prefer just using the full site on the iPad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Basq wrote: »

That should be fixed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Looks great on my Desire HD. Good Work.
    Did notice that if I'm viewing my or any other profile and click on "View all posts by.... " or "View all threads started by....." I just get a random selection none of which are correct. Was telling me I started threads in the parenting section..... Unlikely
    Like I said guys that's just a minor thing..Will definitely be usin it over m. boards

Cheers
    HB

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Looks great, just tried it on my HTC Wildfire. Better than m.boards for clumsy people like me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Well done all - badly needed. Looks great so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Not sure if this has been noticed before, but for those looking for a Boards.ie iPhone app you can add a link to touch.boards.ie directly onto your homescreen. I know you used to be able to do this in the past but the icon that came with it was just an ugly screenshot of that particular page. Now when I tried it for touch.boards.ie they use the boards.ie favicon/logo as the icon, so it looks like a fully-fledged iPhone app :)

Example

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Daysha wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been noticed before, but for those looking for a Boards.ie iPhone app you can add a link to touch.boards.ie directly onto your homescreen. I know you used to be able to do this in the past but the icon that came with it was just an ugly screenshot of that particular page. Now when I tried it for touch.boards.ie they use the boards.ie favicon/logo as the icon, so it looks like a fully-fledged iPhone app :)

Example

Same favicon works with m.boards.ie too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Conor wrote: »
    That should be fixed now.

Could you link to the other feedback thread please? I posted on it last night, but I don't seem to have been subscribed to it.

It looks great by the way, a massive improvement on the original mobile site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Eoin wrote: »
    Could you link to the other feedback thread please?

What other thread in Feedback?
    Eoin wrote: »
    I posted on it last night, but I don't seem to have been subscribed to it.

That bug was fixed last night at about 22:40ish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

He means the thread in Site Dev which is here.

Advertisement