Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A touching way to view Boards.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

I have noticed that when I click on a link it actually opens it in the full version of the site eg in the Carlow charter URL="http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055183314?page=1#post_72561711"]link[/URL if I click on any of the links there it goes to full www.boards.ie site

The old m.boards.ie site used to open any clicked links in the m.boards.ie site.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

How about an android app which just loads the touch site? It is only possible to have the bookmarks on a homescreen but i'd like to have a boards link on the app menu next to facebook for example.

Also bookmarks don't save the favicon...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Was using it last night and it was awesome! so much easier to browse. Have not noticed anything to moan about yet:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Fastastic on my iPhone 4. Works much better than m.boards.ie.

If I was to have one gripe, it would be that the quotes aren't shaded in a slightly different colour to the background. Would this be feasible?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 tapit54

Good work guys, well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

I get an error trying to play a youtube embedded video - the error is "Your browser does not currently recognise any of the video formats available."

"Click here to visit our frequesntly asked questions about HTML5 video."

The link works for me in both the full version and m.boards.ie by launching my Youtube app.

I am using a Palm Pre (webOS). It is probably my browser, but might as well mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Grudle

Is it possible to enable zoom on the page?
    Using opera mobile on android and the page width is just slightly wider than the screen.
    The stock browser renders the page to the same width as the screen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Looks very nice on the iPhone.

Don't know if it'd be possible, but it'd be nice if there was more AJAX/HTML5 gubbins, instead of having to constantly load new webpages (to move to a new page in a thread, or when checking a post's thanks, etc). There's probably a data trade-off here, but the improved responsiveness would be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

TheZohan wrote: »
    Looks nice on an iPad, very slick interface and much easier to navigate.

Really? Have to say I think the full site works way better on the iPad.
    Earthhorse wrote: »
    Yikes! Disagree. It doesn't even size to the screen on the iPad and pinch zoom is disabled. Much prefer just using the full site on the iPad.

Yep agree with this. I'm not really sure what the point of it is. Always found the full site to be fine on my Galaxy S too but maybe this wil be better. I'll give it a try later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The only problem with using the full site on the iPad is spoiler tags. Apart from that it's next to perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Used it for 10 minutes there, Have to say its perfect, Minor database error once or twice, But nothing to do with the new layout.

Great job!! Easy to navigate(Especially with 'My Forums') easy to write comments aswell. Looks amazing on Samsung Galaxy S2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I like it

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Doublechinlolz

Thank you :D It works perfect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

great stuff :D

wish there was a button at the bottom of the page to reply to the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

No favicon, I'm being picky, amn't I :D

I like it, I never liked the mobile version and always browsed the full version on my phone. This also gives an option to thank and see avatars. Thumbs up guys.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Definitely better than the old m. version on the Desire HD. Good stuff! Feels like I'm navigating something meant for smart phones and not WAP phones :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

suggestion, instead of having forums have to reduce the amount of stickies, what if the view amalgamated stickies into a drop down expand/reduce on touch?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭sioda

i find it a little slow m.boards is lightning quick.

Also do i have to mark forums as read as on the touch site all my fora or starred but using m.boards they are only starred if new posts have appeared.

Also dont understand why the new site needed sticky reduction

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Much easier to use on iPhone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

I have a Windows 7 phone and I always used boards.ie, I could see no difference between this and touch.boards.ie ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭An.Duine.Eile

Much better than m.boards.ie. Great improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It is a nice site. But I'll be sticking with m.boards.ie for the time being as the 'moderator' options don't seem to be available.

Also noticed that there are some issues displaying "quotation marks" & 'apostrophes' in posts & PMs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

please enable zoom...
    what were you thinking???

//edit
    15 posts per page, all the cool kids have 40 per page
    inline ads :(

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

needs a "back to forum" button at the bottom like in m.boards, and a reply button at the bottom of the page that doesn't quote anyone

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I'm going to buck the trend here slightly, I had a brief look and wasnt keen. Thats probably got more to do with me liking the old look and feel of both boards.ie and m.boards. (I dont like the new search screen either). I know it would be a matter of getting used to it, but the cp is my usual access point and I couldnt see that. I can thank on m.boards, and I change to the full version the odd time I need more info.

The post count in brackets after the title seemed a bit borked too, but maybe thats because of some change I havent copped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Had a look at it on my Galaxy S - looks good but I'd like if, when bookmarking a forum, it's title was the forums title like on the main site. As of now, the title is just "boards.ie" which you have to rewrite if you want to bookmark others.

'Part from that, good job lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

bluewolf wrote: »
    needs a "back to forum" button at the bottom like in m.boards, and a reply button at the bottom of the page that doesn't quote anyone
    A link to the forum is below the thread title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I approached this with scepticism because of other sites poor attempts but I like this. Nice and simple to use. Good work. This will replace m. on the galaxy S.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

1) is the width a fixed number *of pixels? using galaxy and screen is slightly *narrower then the page.

2) do the banners for adverts iphone app and journal.ie have to be in the middle of a thread?
    -considering ads when logged in are usually off to the bottom corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

fantastic! great work! already replaced m. on my homescreen. thanks!

Advertisement