Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A touching way to view Boards.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

Quite like it!! But...

When I'm on 'latest posts' and I move thru the pages it seems to update/ refresh so I'm getting the same threads over and over on each page - if that makes sense?

H

Edit: I've just realised that each one is a post from different people so if it's a busy thread it will appear a number of times. I don't like that. Each page has too few threads as it is without there being the same thread over and over.

Apologies I'm aware I'm not explaining this very well... It's late!!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Hector Mildew

Looks good but after using for a few minutes I think there are a few areas where usability could be improved:

1. Show page links at top AND bottom of pages. Also add first and last page links.

2. Add a link at top to jump to bottom of page - and vice versa.

3. I miss the back to forum link at bottom of pages.

4. In the forums tab the alpha list is too long, an option for the standard category list and / or alpha selection similisr to iPhone contacts would be good.

Also, I expected the search box to be context sensitive to the selected tab, for example in the forums tab I expected a list of forums matching the search word and not a list of posts/ threads.

I will probably go back to m.boards.ie - although I have big fingers the only function I find awkward is postings messages and that hasn't changed much..

That's it for now, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I hate hate hate the banner ads appearing in the middle of a thread, and also between threads in each forum.

Love the look and feel otherwise.

Stick the banner ads at the top or the end, otherwise I'm sticking with m.boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Its a major improvement from m.boa..., much easier to navigate and overall usage is better. Fairplay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Just had a look on my sony ericsson xperia...seems nice, will play around with it for a bit :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

A-Trak wrote: »
    I hate hate hate the banner ads appearing in the middle of a thread, and also between threads in each forum.

Love the look and feel otherwise.

Stick the banner ads at the top or the end, otherwise I'm sticking with m.boards.

This, a thousand times this.

I was very excited when I started reading the thread, because I frequent a lot of image-heavy threads which obviously isn't as practical on m.boards.ie.

But the intrusive ads are a deal-breaker for me, I'm sticking to 'm' for now. Otherwise I think the interface is pretty damn good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Don't like it I'm afraid. Annoying the way it brings you to the first page of a thread not being able to go to the most recent post.

Tried several times to log in but wouldn't let me,but all was grand when I went back to the normal version?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Don't like it I'm afraid. Annoying the way it brings you to the first page of a thread not being able to go to the most recent post.

Tried several times to log in but wouldn't let me,but all was grand when I went back to the normal version?

Really dislike the interface, and it's not required for larger screens. Now being forced onto touch pages when accessing via iPad. How do you stop thar happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

You can click "visit the full site" link at the bottom and that will set the browser you're using to use the desktop site instead (until you specifically visit touch.boards.ie again).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone getting touch pages on a standard PC/whatever apparently at random?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Ross wrote: »
    You can click "visit the full site" link at the bottom and that will set the browser you're using to use the desktop site instead (until you specifically visit touch.boards.ie again).

Doh! Sweet, thanks Ross.

The only issue I have with the full site interface is that the logout link is too close to the user cp one. Otherwise the full site is great on 10 inch touch screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,736 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Dunno if it's been mentioned yet, but is there a way that when you click Visit The Full Site, it loads the same page you're viewing on the full site rather than the homepage? Otherwise you have to follow the links to get back to that page.

I know you can probably just edit the url and remove the 'touch' part, just more convenient this way

mike65 wrote: »
    Anyone getting touch pages on a standard PC/whatever apparently at random?
    There was a period just after it was turned on where 50% of traffic was erroneously directed to touch, but should be fixed now.

Barrington wrote: »
    Dunno if it's been mentioned yet, but is there a way that when you click Visit The Full Site, it loads the same page you're viewing on the full site rather than the homepage? Otherwise you have to follow the links to get back to that page.

I know you can probably just edit the url and remove the 'touch' part, just more convenient this way

Made that particular change about 30-40 mins ago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭slarkin123

I love the touch version. Is there or will there be an app version.

copacetic wrote: »
    Doh! Sweet, thanks Ross.

The only issue I have with the full site interface is that the logout link is too close to the user cp one. Otherwise the full site is great on 10 inch touch screens.

No prob! I prefer the touch site on the iPad myself, but I'm willing to admit a certain level of bias...

slarkin123 wrote: »
    Yes (there will be), hopefully sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,958 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I don't think the touch.boards option should be mandatory. Users should be prompted to decide if they want to use it as on other sites. I came on here to compain and only discovered the "view full site" option when i read it here but many others won't know of this thread so won't get the same chance. Good work, but make it optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

So just went on tonight for the first time on my iPhone. Have to say I am very impressed with it. So easy to navigate and only a couple of clicks to find what I'm looking for. Can we still use mod tools on touch.boards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

negative feedback from me! Using mini opera on an X10 mini pro. Finding the differences geuinely hard to deal with specially in long threads where I can't tell if I'm reading a reply or a quote. Navigation between the regular forums I visit is longer? Posting a reply still involves cutting and pasting text because the ''post reply'' button disappears from under the text box. Have a feeling this was written exclusively for iphones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It's quite nice, I like. Good layout, the bits I need to use are easily accessible. Looks suspiciously like Facebook, but with a non-sh*te interface.

It'd be nicer with the Cloud colour scheme, of course. >_>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

When I view any board on the phone now it automatically switches to this new view, is there any setting I can change to stop it from switching?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

colly10 wrote: »
    When I view any board on the phone now it automatically switches to this new view, is there any setting I can change to stop it from switching?
    Bottom of the page there is a view full site option

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Tigger wrote: »
    Bottom of the page there is a view full site option

Cheers, I personally dont like the fact that it auto switches on the ipad when going to www.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Jumpy wrote: »
    Cheers, I personally dont like the fact that it auto switches on the ipad when going to www.

If you click the link at the bottom, it leaves a cookie in your browser which disables the auto-redirect until you visit touch.boards.ie deliberately.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

slarkin123 wrote: »
    I've done an android webview version which has the touch site wrapped in an app. Its available on the market if u search boards.ie. it unofficial but its only a webview so doesn't store anything and its as safe as the touch site., I'm waiting for the ok from the site admins yet. I'm on mobile ATM so can't post a link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Have a feeling this was written exclusively for iphones.

The site was primarily tested on iPhone, iPad and Android because those are the devices which are used the most across both www.boards.ie and m.boards.ie.

Our mobile browser traffic breaks down like this:

164638.png

As you can see, 90% of the mobile browser traffic to the site is from WebKit-based browsers so it made sense to target those browsers first.

Opera is the largest non-Webkit mobile browser segment at ~5% of traffic so we're willing to make bugfixes to make the site more usable for Opera users. I'll try and get my hands on a suitable handset next week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

May I just say kudos on the spoiler tag interface for touch. It's awesome and saves plenty a headache :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

As I said on the other thread on this, it's pretty bad, looks poor imo, ads are terrible and I miss the original mobile home page, where's the most thanked/viewed etc links ? Won't be using it unless it vastly improves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Always one or two begrudgers. I used it today when logging onto my iPhone and it was just awesome, simple to use - the quoting system was fantastic, the speed was brilliant. I am sure there are bugs, but I didnt find any. Bugs happen in big releases.

Kudos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭sioda

Yahew wrote: »
    Always one or two begrudgers. I used it today when logging onto my iPhone and it was just awesome, simple to use - the quoting system was fantastic, the speed was brilliant. I am sure there are bugs, but I didnt find any. Bugs happen in big releases.

Kudos.
    Its not begrudgery its honest feedback as a person who will never own an apple phone. On my phone it is slow and cumbersome and thus much prefer m.boards

Advertisement