Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A touching way to view Boards.ie

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Yes, well as you can see from the stats you are in a minority. The majority are on some webkit ( Safari or Android) derived webpage. Technology moves on. If we were to design systems for the people wot dont like new stuff, nothing in software would ever get updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yahew wrote: »
    Always one or two begrudgers. I used it today when logging onto my iPhone and it was just awesome, simple to use - the quoting system was fantastic, the speed was brilliant. I am sure there are bugs, but I didnt find any. Bugs happen in big releases.

Kudos.

Learn what a begrudger is before trying to use it in a sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

It's nice to use, very smooth. Looks good on my iPod touch.
    The list of forums sucks though, I prefer the old forum-subforum layout.

I'd also like to request a quick reply button at the bottom of the page, scrolling back up is annoying.

I also just saw an image in AH. Awesome. (I tested on my laptop and the image is only visible on the touch site :cool:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Seems a it slow on my 3GS.

One suggestion, would it be possible to collapse the stickies a d expand them if required?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Sarky wrote: »
    It's quite nice, I like. Good layout, the bits I need to use are easily accessible. Looks suspiciously like Facebook, but with a non-sh*te interface.
    I concur with Sarky. Really, kudos to the development team for this

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

One suggestion, would it be possible to collapse the stickies a d expand them if required?
    This was suggested on the mod forum as well. However, I'd argue that it would defeat the whole point of having stickies. The solution is just for mods to reduce the number of stickies in their forum to three or less as we were all asked to do weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Using an android device here. The new site looks good but unfortunately I prefer the old m.boards rather than this new touch one for one reason...the ads.
    The last thinkg I want to see while reading a thread is a few ads stuck in the middle of it. There are even ads on it for the touch site itself :confused:

Anyway...it does look decent so nice work. Pity it is let down by the marketing dept.

Ludo wrote: »
    Using an android device here. The new site looks good but unfortunately I prefer the old m.boards rather than this new touch one for one reason...the ads.
    The last thinkg I want to see while reading a thread is a few ads stuck in the middle of it. There are even ads on it for the touch site itself :confused:

Anyway...it does look decent so nice work. Pity it is let down by the marketing dept.

Let down = people getting paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Subscribers can turn off ads :)

Seven Worlds will Collide

Feedback (positive AND negative) = better user experience = more traffic = people paid more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

The ads don't bother me but I prefer the categories of forums instead of the list... I also can't add help desk to my list of followed forums... And I like browsing around there :) overall much prefer it though!!

Ludo wrote: »
    Feedback (positive AND negative) = better user experience = more traffic = people paid more.

They're paid by the ads. More traffic = more pay if more ads. That or subscribe.

Of course ads pay the bills. But they need to be unobtrusive or they turn people away. It is all a trade off and I am just offering my personal feedback. Maybe I am wrong or maybe not.
    Posted from m.Boards :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

happy with it except i cant do mod things on it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,388 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

terrible, how do i turn it off find it unuseable text big features missing, cant see the point (beats the old mobile version but never used that

found it bottom right corner phew back to normality

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Is there any way you could jam some more adverts In?

Also a reply button on the bottom would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's not something I'd use as the normal site looks perfectly fine on my Desire HD. As a suggestion though, I'd recommend turning it off by default for iPad users, that screen is more than big enough to cope with the normal site and be forced into using a mobile site on an iPad is always a bugbear of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

It's not something I'd use as the normal site looks perfectly fine on my Desire HD. As a suggestion though, I'd recommend turning it off by default for iPad users, that screen is more than big enough to cope with the normal site and be forced into using a mobile site on an iPad is always a bugbear of mine.

The auto-redirect for iPad has been turned off for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ahhh, didn't realise. Tried it last week and it was there before I went to the use full site option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I wish it didn't quote quoted posts.

i.e. There's a post by A who's quoting B. If I quote that post in the main site I only get A's text. If I quote the post on Touch then I get A's text and B's text.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

any chance of cloud colour scheme and less intrusive adverts please.

any chance of cloud colour scheme

Nope, sorry, that's not going to happen.
    and less intrusive adverts please.

Depending on the level of usage of the site and the performance of the ad slots this is a possibility. If we can sell higher-value ads, we can have fewer of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Conor wrote: »
    any chance of cloud colour scheme

Nope, sorry, that's not going to happen.
    and less intrusive adverts please.

Depending on the level of usage of the site and the performance of the ad slots this is a possibility. If we can sell higher-value ads, we can have fewer of them.

Not really much good so if it is hard to read. Anty way to stop it loading when i visit on my phone.

Not really much good so if it is hard to read.

Is that "hard to read" due to it not being in your preferred colour scheme or is it because of the ads?
    Anty way to stop it loading when i visit on my phone.

If you click the "View on full site" link at the bottom you get a cookie which exempts you from the redirect. Visiting touch.boards.ie deletes that cookie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Using boards.ie touch seems pretty nice simple and no problems as of yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Some suggestions.

Add a dark theme (black background) so those of us with Amoled screens get a battery saving benefit.

Can't pinch to zoom, please facilitate this (CSS related?)

The page titles need to be fixed. Currently they all say "Boards.ie". Sometimes I want to "share" a page from my Android phone, say via Gmail. The page title gets put into the email subject line, so having unique page titles is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

biebiebie wrote: »

Yep, I suggested that in the other thread. I'm pretty sure it's just this meta tag:

[html]
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width; initial-scale=1.0; maximum-scale=1.0; user-scalable=0;" />
    [/html]

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It wont let me log in when I'm using Boards on my phone. I'm getting 'Login Failed'. I checked that I was using the right password by logging out and back in on my laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Seems to work OK on Windows 7 phone

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Seems to work OK on Windows 7 phone

Probably due to Win 7 phone not interpreting the CSS correctly :p

Advertisement