Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying an unfinished house

Options
  • 21-06-2011 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi all, im considering buying an unfinished house (2400 sq ft) & wondering if i did how i'd go about getting it finished. So basically its just brickwork & initial concrete floors in, windows, doors & roof. It has no plumbing, electricity, plastering etc. I wouldn't have time or the knowledge to manage it myself so wondering can I hire someone like a project manager who would cost it up from the plans before i'd make an offer on the house? Obviously i dont want to buy the house if its gonna cost too much to finish it or will take ages.... thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

Hi RyanAsh,

Just make sure the banks will lend to you if you have your heart set on the house... They take a dim view of unfinished houses. I looked into the possibility of buying an unfinished house, mortgage adviser said they would lend the money to buy the house "as is", I would have to then find the finance to finish the house (€140K), they would then give me the remainder of the mortgage once the completed house was inspected..... Only in Ireland.... Anyway Best of Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I know a few local former foremen/site chargehands who have gotten into this contracting PM game so I'd imagine you could get a competitive price on the completion costs.
    Whether or not they have the required PM paperwork,if there is any,is a differnet story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

get a quantity surveyor to price it up for you. The price could be based on a site visit (which the auctioneer should have no problem arranging as it will show you are interested) or based on a survey carried out by an architect or surveyor.

The finishes are generally the more expensive part of the build as its when you get involved in spec

Advertisement