Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polytunnels advice

Options
  • 21-06-2011 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

I'm putting together the materials for a self-build tunnel.
    Looking for quotes for covers the cheapest I found is local and for 720 gauge. I see polydome have 800 and 900 gauge, but are a good deal more expensive. Would there be much advantage in going for 800 or 900 over the 720? 720 'seems' to be acceptable and widely used.

Also, has anyone ever put crop bars in a self-built tunnel with hoops made of 50mm pipe? I would like to suspend a shelf and have baskets hanging for a few weeks in spring. Not sure if the structure would be strong enough for this though.

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Clare man

I would recommend spending a bit more and buying more expensive Polythene. This is consistently recommended by all the experts and will pay off in the end. Make sure you cover on a warm day and ensure it is installed correctly. It will last much longer.

To get a better price, if you know a commerical grower they would be able to purchase at a lower cost or I recommend shop around and online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Yeah I totally agree with what the poster above says about the polythene quality. Your only fooling yourself by going for the weaker gauge, you be replacing it or patching it after every windy day. You must remember also that sunlight over the years will weaken the strenght of the polythene too.

This site might give you ideas

http://www.pro-tech-marketing.co.uk/spanishtunnels.asp
    Spanish Tunnel Basic Range:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Thanks. I don't think 720 would tear easy. It's a much used gauge used by commercial growers. Was just wondering if 800 is substantially better enough to warrant the difference in price which is quite big.

When I asked for a quote from nad (who are very reputable) for 800 gauage they gave me 130 euro for 720 gauge and they said "Modern methods of producing tunnel covering polythene are such that the thickness of the polythene is not necessarily related to its longevity. Currently, the thickness we have available is 720 gauge (180 microns)."

Salesspeak or is the difference not that big??

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

redser7 wrote: »
    Thanks. I don't think 720 would tear easy. It's a much used gauge used by commercial growers. Was just wondering if 800 is substantially better enough to warrant the difference in price which is quite big.

When I asked for a quote from nad (who are very reputable) for 800 gauage they gave me 130 euro for 720 gauge and they said "Modern methods of producing tunnel covering polythene are such that the thickness of the polythene is not necessarily related to its longevity. Currently, the thickness we have available is 720 gauge (180 microns)."

Salesspeak or is the difference not that big??

Thanks

I dealt with them before and recommended them enough here but it sounds like Bull. He is most likely talking about Spanish tunnels were the strawberry guys take the cover off in winter to prevent damage to it. The lower the gauge the lower the cost to produce. If you can get something in writing from them about how 720 gauge will be good enough to withstand irish weathers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Thanks but from research I know that 720 can easily withstand gales and last up to 10 years if treated right and you are willing to compromise on opaqueness increasing over time.
    Thing for me is that while I know 800 is better I have a tight budget. Hence the self-build and scrounging poles and pipes. If I can save 70 euro on the sheet then I have to go for it. Anyway, thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement