Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When the City Sheriff Comes

• 21-06-2011 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

There is a person living on my street who has been a nuisance for the past 4-5 years. He refused to pay rent and was claiming that he owned the house and not the landlord.
    The landlord and the other person have been in court for years to try to get him out. They have won their case and they are to be evicted. He has still not left the premises.

I have been told that the Dublin City Sheriff is coming out on Friday to carry out an Ejectment Order. What will happen if he still refuses to leave when the Sheriff Comes out?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

He'll be leaving one way or the other when the sheriff comes. The sheriff will bring garda back up with them and if needed they will physically break down the door and carry him to the edge of the boundary of the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    There is a person living on my street who has been a nuisance for the past 4-5 years. He refused to pay rent and was claiming that he owned the house and not the landlord.
    The landlord and the other person have been in court for years to try to get him out. They have won their case and they are to be evicted. He has still not left the premises.

I have been told that the Dublin City Sheriff is coming out on Friday to carry out an Ejectment Order. What will happen if he still refuses to leave when the Sheriff Comes out?

Thanks

Don't forget to video it and put it up here laters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

So no matter what he will be leaving? and what about all his stuff and car etc will the throw it on the street?

If Im around when they come I'll record it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Probably not the place to be lighthearted, forgive me :)

When I was a teenager I worked in a Dublin city centre shop. The owner was a pure chancer and owed everyone from the revenue to the landlord. He sometimes hadn't even got my wages. One day a man came into the shop and told me he was the sheriff. In my ignorance I didn't know there was such a position in Ireland. I answered " Yeah? and I'm Billy the Kid. " This did not go down at all well.The business was gone by the end of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

So no matter what he will be leaving? and what about all his stuff and car etc will the throw it on the street?

If Im around when they come I'll record it.

Quite possibly and hopefully the landlord will be there with a locksmith to change the locks while he's being thrown out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

If Im around when they come I'll record it

Take the day off work and don't take your eyes off the house. Make sure the camera is full charged and ready to go. Have a second camera just in case of a technical glitch. Ideally this all should be shot in HD.

It's your duty to your fellow boardsies.

I'll look foward to the screening on Friday evening :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Yes, Id love to see the footage of this, We have a guy on the street here who is at the same thing, He is an absolute nuisance, He got his eviction over a year ago and is still there.

CoalBucket wrote: »
    Take the day off work and don't take your eyes off the house. Make sure the camera is full charged and ready to go. Have a second camera just in case of a technical glitch. Ideally this all should be shot in HD.

It's your duty to your fellow boardsies.

I'll look foward to the screening on Friday evening :)

I don't work, Im only doing my Leaving Cert so I don't need to take a day off.

I have a HD camera ready to record by my bedroom window and my phone is also HD and is fully charged.

If I get it yous will be in for a good show, hes the type that will put up a fight and refuse to give up.

But will he definitely be thrown out with all of his stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 MissHappiness

Probably not the place to be lighthearted, forgive me :)

When I was a teenager I worked in a Dublin city centre shop. The owner was a pure chancer and owed everyone from the revenue to the landlord. He sometimes hadn't even got my wages. One day a man came into the shop and told me he was the sheriff. In my ignorance I didn't know there was such a position in Ireland. I answered " Yeah? and I'm Billy the Kid. " This did not go down at all well.The business was gone by the end of the week.

Something similar happened to me in work, man came in about a debt that had been sorted. My boss would have been known to be a prankster, and assumed one of his friends had sent in a "plant"!!!! He told him "If a sherriff ever came in my yard, I'd f**k him in the river"!!! Fortunately, Sherriff had a good sense of humour, and stayed for a coffee, chat and a good auld giggle while payment was being confirmed!!! My poor auld boss nearly collapsed when he left from shame!!!

OP, if Sherriff arrives with guards, he will most definitely be disposed of quite quickly!! Best of luck, and enjoy the relief you will have once your nuisance has gone!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

In Arklow a man barricaded his terraced house with a jcb or bulldozer, which prevented the sherriff getting in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 MissHappiness

Sherriff has means and ways around that. That would not be possible to do in a house in a housing estate. They are going to be outed one way or another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Well it's Friday, Any update ?

CoalBucket wrote: »
    Well it's Friday, Any update ?

Well the Sheriff came. But I didn't get to see (or record) very much. He came too early. I woke up just after 7am and he was already there. He didn't put up much of a fight and left.

I supose he didn't have much of a choice with 4 cars full of garda and half a construction site waiting out side.

By 8am they were well into demolishing the housr.

Sorry for not getting the video.

Well the Sheriff came. But I didn't get to see (or record) very much. He came too early. I woke up just after 7am and he was already there. He didn't put up much of a fight and left.

I supose he didn't have much of a choice with 4 cars full of garda and half a construction site waiting out side.

By 8am they were well into demolishing the housr.

Sorry for not getting the video.

Did they throw all his stuff unto the side of the road? Also why would they be demolishing the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

Hi. I was also wondering about the Sherrif's process, based on an experience I had.

In the 2-3 years after after buying/moving into my house I continuously received post for some former residents. At first I did "return to sender", but eventually got sick of this. One guys seems to have been a particular chancer.

Anyway, around 2 years down the road, I got home one day to a notice from the city Sheriff's office, addressed to this guy, indicating that they were pursuing goods to the value of (say) €10,000 which had not been paid for, and would return to the house, and enter, using force if necessary, to retreive them.

I immediately rang the phone number supplied and was given a mobile number for the "sherrif" who served the notice. I rang him, and explained the situation, and I have to say he certainly sounded not exactly the full shilling.

So, I would ask:
    - Could the sherrif's office seriously have returned and broken down my front door, if, say I had been away and not seen the notice, without ascertaining that this person still lived there? :mad:
    - If so, what compensation would I have received?
    - What would be the point in them breaking into a premises to retreive goods which were purchased 2-3 years before?
    - Could they have taken away some of my personal property?

- The chap I spoke to, who served the notice, certainly sounded somewhat slow and clueless. Would this person really be in charge of enforcing such an order?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Citygirl1 wrote: »
    Hi. I was also wondering about the Sherrif's process, based on an experience I had.

In the 2-3 years after after buying/moving into my house I continuously received post for some former residents. At first I did "return to sender", but eventually got sick of this. One guys seems to have been a particular chancer.

Anyway, around 2 years down the road, I got home one day to a notice from the city Sheriff's office, addressed to this guy, indicating that they were pursuing goods to the value of (say) €10,000 which had not been paid for, and would return to the house, and enter, using force if necessary, to retreive them.

I immediately rang the phone number supplied and was given a mobile number for the "sherrif" who served the notice. I rang him, and explained the situation, and I have to say he certainly sounded not exactly the full shilling.

So, I would ask:
    - Could the sherrif's office seriously have returned and broken down my front door, if, say I had been away and not seen the notice, without ascertaining that this person still lived there? :mad:
    - If so, what compensation would I have received?
    - What would be the point in them breaking into a premises to retreive goods which were purchased 2-3 years before?
    - Could they have taken away some of my personal property?

- The chap I spoke to, who served the notice, certainly sounded somewhat slow and clueless. Would this person really be in charge of enforcing such an order?

They could have broken in.

They would have been immune from suit if they complied with the conditions in the enforcement of court orders act

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1926/en/act/pub/0018/sec0012.html#sec12

They would be seizing goods that would be sold to repay a money debt.

They may have taken away your personal property believing it to belong to the debtor, but you could have reclaimed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Regardless of the details regarding occupier in the OP,I find it sickening that people are making light of the situation and asking for video recordings.

Somebody has just lost their home, and people can just laugh and giggle.

For shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

If you Dont pay the rent its not your home.

RangeR wrote: »
    Regardless of the details regarding occupier in the OP,I find it sickening that people are making light of the situation and asking for video recordings.

For shame.

It wasn't his home, however, the actual owner could have lost the property had he not been able to afford to pay the mortgage because he wasn't getting any rent.

RangeR wrote: »

For shame.

For shame me hole, a sponger and a man who has stolen someone elses property.

• Advertisement

They could have broken in.

They would have been immune from suit if they complied with the conditions in the enforcement of court orders act

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1926/en/act/pub/0018/sec0012.html#sec12

They would be seizing goods that would be sold to repay a money debt.

They may have taken away your personal property believing it to belong to the debtor, but you could have reclaimed it.

What would happen say if I was house sharing and my house mate was a chancer and had a court order against him. If the sheriff comes a calling how would he be able to discern who owns what?

Advertisement