Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rush residents finally put a stop to Eirgrid

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'd seen about that, but wasn't sure whether to post in the Eirgrid or Rush Genetics thread - who knows a bit of DNA testing and some of the locals may discover their ancestors were way ahead of them in the "Stop Eirgrid" campaign:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The "former port of Lusk"???

Surely, an archaeological survey would have been conducted along the route of the pipeline before the diggers went in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Two more articles

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/workers-find-ancient-burial-ground-16013537.html

http://www.joe.ie/news-politics/current-affairs/ancient-skeletons-discovered-in-north-dublin-0013273-1

Hopefully it will prove to be an interesting find. Wasnt it said the Vikings first landed in this part of Ireland. If memory serves me well, i seem to remember learning in school that they first landed on lambay, assuming they had landed on the main land of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Hill Billy wrote: »
    The "former port of Lusk"???

Surely, an archaeological survey would have been conducted along the route of the pipeline before the diggers went in?

In those days Rush was in the Parish of Lusk so Rogershaven was the port of Lusk.

An archaeological survey was conducted of the route as required but this is just really a paper review of historical papers and digs conducted along the route in the past. The graves were 1.5m below the surface in undisturbed soil so may have been untouched since the 9th as a plough would never reach that depth even today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

That was our ancestors running a few undesirables out:)

It will be interesting to see what delays if any this will cause. They were ploughing ahead this morning but nearer spout Rd end of estuary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

archeaology does not slow down projects too much unless they found something seriously significant.

i did work in tipperary and we came across post holes, fulach fias and a few other bits and pieces. even found an old skeleton.

but the archeolgist recorded it and we were allow press on. the skeleton was a bit more sensitive of course but it had no significant arcealogical value seemingly.

it all adds to the rich history surrounding rush.

LeoB wrote: »
    That was our ancestors running a few undesirables out:)

It will be interesting to see what delays if any this will cause. They were ploughing ahead this morning but nearer spout Rd end of estuary.

The Eirgrid website states they have 80% of the total route done. Just reading another Rush related website there appears to be a debate going on that Eirgrid has surpressed this story in the Indo because late on Sunday the Indo removed the story from its website.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It was on Newstalk on Sunday morning, and breaking news had the story (and did not take it down), so I suspect any conspiracy theories may be a bit wide of the mark (not sure what they could do to suppress the story anyway - they were already saying that work would be stopped in the immediate vicinity while further examination was taking place)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

One of the articles mentioned that it could also be a burial site for some of those who died when the Tayleur ran aground at Lambay Island in 1854. Seemingly over 300 people died and there are no records of where they were buried.

I presume the archeologists should be able to quickly determine a rough timeline for the burials.

ksimpson wrote: »
    One of the articles mentioned that it could also be a burial site for some of those who died when the Tayleur ran aground at Lambay Island in 1854. Seemingly over 300 people died and there are no records of where they were buried.

I presume the archeologists should be able to quickly determine a rough timeline for the burials.

90 bodies were buried on Lambay and the rest that were recovered were buried in Rush and Malahide.

A simple test is that pagans and christians are buried in different positions. Pagans are usually buried from East(Head) to West(Feet) in orientation, Christians are buried West to East. I knew watching Time Team would pay off someday.

• Advertisement

Corsendonk wrote: »
    90 bodies were buried on Lambay and the rest that were recovered were buried in Rush and Malahide.

A simple test is that pagans and christians are buried in different positions. Pagans are usually buried from East(Head) to West(Feet) in orientation, Christians are buried West to East. I knew watching Time Team would pay off someday.

In time would the graves move? Coffin decompose, wet soil, other graves disturbing them????

I never noticed that orientation of the body before

LeoB wrote: »
    In time would the graves move? Coffin decompose, wet soil, other graves disturbing them????

I never noticed that orientation of the body before

9th century Leo, imagine trying to make a coffin with hand tools then, only the very rich or powerful would get one of them. The body would be wrapped up in cloth and placed in the grave with some grave goods to help them in the afterlife.

soil would not move that much. ( a tell tale of this is surrounding trees . if the main triuunk is curved it would indicate soil creep )

there is a lot more used to identify the age bodies.

the like of lambay burials. more than likely would be were leather manufactured shoes with noticable features like heels and other items like belts with buckles . the size of a developed skeleton would give an idication of age.

a fully developed male skeleton which is shorter more than likely will be older.

( all little tips i learned off my on site archeoligist ( can never spell that))

Corsendonk wrote: »
    9th century Leo, imagine trying to make a coffin with hand tools then, only the very rich or powerful would get one of them. The body would be wrapped up in cloth and placed in the grave with some grave goods to help them in the afterlife.

I would bring my laptop and camera just in case there are some nice sights. say no more stay on topic LeoB
    Martron wrote: »
    soil would not move that much. ( a tell tale of this is surrounding trees . if the main triuunk is curved it would indicate soil creep )

there is a lot more used to identify the age bodies.

the like of lambay burials. more than likely would be were leather manufactured shoes with noticable features like heels and other items like belts with buckles . the size of a developed skeleton would give an idication of age.

a fully developed male skeleton which is shorter more than likely will be older.

( all little tips i learned off my on site archeoligist ( can never spell that))

My Dr. Martins would be a give away then and OH and my postbag!!

we are not planning on burying you yet leo....... still a bit fresh!

Advertisement