Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most ridiculous injury you've given yourself whilst cooking?

Options
  • 21-06-2011 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭

Toasting some breadcrumbs last night & I was sniffing the pan to see if they were cooked/because I love the smell of toasting bread & I absent mindedly picked it up and leaned the pan against my chest to get a proper sniff. I now have a big stripy welt across my chest!

Weird how often I forget that something is hot or sharp or not edible while I'm cooking and end up swearing and holding part of myself under a running tap

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

I was taking a pizza out of the oven, but it was stuck to the oven shelf which slid out and caught me on the wrist. Now it looks like I tried to kill myself. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Morpork wrote: »
    I was taking a pizza out of the oven, but it was stuck to the oven shelf which slid out and caught me on the wrist. Now it looks like I tried to kill myself. :pac:

I used to have reams of red scars on the tops of my hands and my wrists from brushing them against the oven shelf taking things out. Looked so suss until I copped on and started using oven gloves instead of whatever paper thin tea towel was lying nearest me!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Inishowen lady

I do it most days, will never learn.......finger up to eye after cutting a chilli, I finish my prep and cooking of the meal with tears streaming down my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I have a frying pan with a metal handle which I use if I'm cooking, say, duck breasts, and start them on the hob and then transfer them to the oven to finish them off. More than once I've carefully removed the pan from the oven using the oven gloves, put the oven gloves down and then almost immediately grabbed the red hot handle with my bare hand. I even had to go to A&E once the burn was so bad, but then did exactly the same thing only a few weeks later!

Oh yes, and the chilli thing ... if you're a man, make sure you wash your hands very carefully before going for a wee :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Alun wrote: »
    I have a frying pan with a metal handle which I use if I'm cooking, say, duck breasts, and start them on the hob and then transfer them to the oven to finish them off. More than once I've carefully removed the pan from the oven using the oven gloves, put the oven gloves down and then almost immediately grabbed the red hot handle with my bare hand. I even had to go to A&E once the burn was so bad, but then did exactly the same thing only a few weeks later!

Oh yes, and the chilli thing ... if you're a man, make sure you wash your hands very carefully before going for a wee :)

I was watching Come Dine With Me the other night (a re run) and the guy chopped the chilli using a knife and fork to avoid touching it!

Forever hitting my wrist off the oven shelf... or picking up a metal pot lid without a towel or glove... or when peeling potato's and peeling my finger along with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Usuaully chopping fingernails off - you see why Jebus put them at the end of your fingers when there is a sharp knife around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

One Christmas day, I chopped the tip off a finger while chopping herbs to put under the skin of the turkey. Not a good start.
    I went running out to my wife with my bloody finger, looking for sympathy but got none until I was able to produce the finger tip from among the herbs - then it seemed more serious!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I don't suffer injuries so much these days, but before the kids arrived I used to enjoy a few Saturday afternoon pints before I made dinner. Not a great idea when my standard kitchen tool for all manner of cutting, chopping, even peeling is a chinese cleaver.
    A-109.jpg
    More than once did a finger tip or two end up in the meal. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Wear gloves when cutting chills!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaybee747

I'm forever taking things from a press above where I'm cooking and forgetting to close the door and either standing up and catching the corner of the door or turning around and almost face planting the door.

Also recently was showing off to the kids my knife sharpening skills only to miss the guard and slice a thin layer of skin from my knuckle, oh how they laughed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

I've an awful habit of cutting potatoes on the palm of my hand when they just need to be cut into chunks for roasting or steaming - Ive sliced into it a number of times!
    I also always do the chilli in the eye thing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

Once opened a bag of pasta and stuck the resealable sticker to my lip (coz i couldn't find anywhere else to put it) while i cut across the bag and poured pasta into the boiling water. And took the label from my lip removing a good portion of the skin from my lip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I lived in a bedsit many years ago - lockable bedrooms, shared bathroom, shared kitchen. One of my neighbours was an older single fella called Denis. He worked all week in a chemical factory and would go out Friday and Saturday nights and get plastered.

I was in the kitchen one Saturday evening making some dinner when in comes Denis - he's all dapper looking with a tweed jacket and polished shoes. He explains to me he has a hot date. Later that night when I'm back from the pub and making a cuppa in the kitchen, Denis comes in. He's alone and rolling drunk. Date didn't work out, I asked? While Denis relates the evenings adventures he's making some bacon for a sandwich on the grill. The grill has no handle and requires a teatowel to use it.

When it comes time to turn the bacon, Denis removes it with a teatowel, turns the bacon over and with same teatowel, tries to slide the grill tray back into place - and misses. Bacon goes tumbling into the back of the top oven. He reaches in to rescue it and when he turns back to me, he has three scorched stripes across the sleeve of his jacket - whisps of smoke rising. Oblivious - he carries on with the bacon sandwich and eventually slopes off to watch telly.

Next day I meet him again and he's all upset - "some fecker in the pub has been burning ciggie holes in my tweeds!" as he shows me the scorch marks on his jacket. I didn't have the heart to tell him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Morpork wrote: »

I do this more than I care to admit. It's always my right wrist too, so I've two fairly big scars on the side and many little ones on my hands and stuff, all in the same direction.
    I do it most days, will never learn.......finger up to eye after cutting a chilli, I finish my prep and cooking of the meal with tears streaming down my face.

I think this is something you only do once!

At least 6 times I week, I have a kitchen catastrophy. I burn myself on flames or steam, I cut my fingers, spill hot water on myself, etc. I love to cook but I still wreck the place. I've also set many tea towels on fire :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I've an awful habit of cutting potatoes on the palm of my hand when they just need to be cut into chunks for roasting or steaming

+1 'I'm not dirtying a chopping board' - sharp knife through potato or tomato or what have you, straight into palm of hand stigmata style :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

When I was younger I was moving the oven shelves around to fit a roast in, while taking one of the shelves out...which I wasn't holding correctly it swung back and hit my forhead, leaving a nice T shapped blister there for over a week.....that was also a bitch to run under the tap, half my head went numb. On the brightside no scar :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,457 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Had my fair share of scrapes, bruises and burns working in the kitchen over the years and in answer to the age old chilli problem, before you start working with them, rub your hands with just a couple of drops of olive oil, not enough to make them slippery but enough to provide a barrier so the acid will wash off easily and not linger and be able to get into your eye, or (in my case more than once) other certain delicate areas.
    My most memorable injury (or just stupid thing I've done in the kitchen) is suck a spoon that I have just measured out vanilla extract in. Palate ruined for a couple of hours

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i have had many but i think the worst was when myself and des decided to have a valentines dinner party for 6 people.

we settled on chicken kiev and need to do a trial run, not being together that long and all loved up:rolleyes:, we were cooking together, i was stirring something in a pot while he was lifting one of kievs out of a pan of boiling oil, it slipped and fell back in to the oil completely covering my hand in oil.

lucky for me, i have a very well stocked medical kit, i had special burn bandages and burn creams.

it gets better

so i bandage my right hand myself, cos he couldnt manage it and he then asked me to drive him home, 30 mins away with a big glowing hand and 30 mins back :rolleyes:

2 years later, i still have the scars and the kievs are always cooked in the oven :D

EDIT; we can no longer cooked together - due to certain people being extremely messy and other people moving things

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

I had a meatloaf in the fridge, covered in a gorgeous tomato & chickpea sauce. It was bubbling away in a roasting pan.

I opened the oven to take it out, to spoon some sauce over the exposed top of the meatloaf. This went well.

I tried to put it back in. I rested it on the oven door, changing my grip to lift it into the oven.

It slipped. Hot sauce all over my legs & feet, and the meatloaf heading for the floor. Down I went like a world-class wicketkeeper, cupping the meatloaf and getting it straight back into the tin, but getting a pretty seriously bruised shoulder in the process.

It still tasted gorgeous, but the lack of sauce was a problem, and the sore shoulder and minor leg burns ensured I'd be more careful next time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

My right hand seems to have self harm issues...

I've sliced a finger tip off and sliced through the thumb fingernail.

Once when I was checking to see if water was boiling, I lift the lid, water was very obviously boiling and for some reason in goes my right hand resulting in burns up to my knuckles.

Also, I was checking the heat of a frying pan once by the usual holding your hand above to feel the heat and agian in goes the right hand too close, resulting in burns covering the whole palm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

As a new godmother, I decided to make a cake for the christening the next day. It was in the oven about half an hour when I took a quick peak to discover the gas had gone out :eek:. In a panic at the thought of a sinking mess, I reached in to relight the jet with a match.
    WHOOMPH! The build up of gas ignited with a loud bang and a flame erupted out of the door. It burned off my eyebrows, eyelashes, all the hair on one arm and a chunk of hair at my forehead. The smell was awful, I was blackened all over and the pain was excruciating.
    The cake was fine after I iced it (when I finally got home from the surgery) but I spent the christening day dodging photographs and explanations as I looked like a war victim and a sight for sore eyes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Jesus I think mw3guc wins!!

About seven years ago I was cooking dinner in a friend's place for six people. He invites two more (we were all beered up so it was all good) and I realise that I need to do something else to feed the additional peeps.

Easy peasy - add a soup course. My friend doesn't have a well-stocked kitchen in terms of utensils etc., so I start making a spicy parsnip soup in a wok. I've coloured the chopped parsnips nicely and want to add a pint of stock. I've got the stock cubes and I'm trying to cook to the recipe as opposed to just judging the amount. I ask him if he has a pint jug - no, but he's got a pint stein, a big ceramic jug he's bought in Belgium on a hockey tour. So I boil the kettle and fill the stein. The kitchen is generally pokey and there's always crap everywhere and of course I'm not in my own house.

So I lift the boiling-water-filled ceramic stein off the counter and take a step backwards from the counter to head for the cooker, and the stein just shatters in my hand. A pint of boiling water goes over both stockinged feet.

I froze for about a second and that was all it took for the water to soak through the socks and scald me - and of course the socks were holding it good-o against my feet. So utilising my finest yoga pose in about two seconds flat I've got each foot up in front of me face and I'm tearing the socks off them, hop through shattered stein pieces and leg it through the living room and up the stairs to the bathroom, where I hop fully clothed into the shower and start running cold water over both feet.

Apparently I ran through the living room shouting 'ohfuckohfuckohfuckohfuck-willsomeoneturntheheatoffunderthatwok-ohfuckohfuckohfuck'

I soldiered on and finished cooking dinner, but the pain was bad so I stood in front of the cooker in a roasting pan full of cold water into which my mate occasionally tipped ice cubes, and then sat at the table and ate dinner with a beer chiller (you know those wraps you put in the freezer and you can put a bottle in them to cool it?) on each foot like slippers.

Advertisement