Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good laptop for CAD?

Options
  • 21-06-2011 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Im looking to buy a good laptop for AutoCad civil 3d. Its a resource heavy program but of course i cant pay a fortune. Any recommendations?
    Did any one recently buy one for cad use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭kirving

I'd advise against a laptop for CAD, particularly if you're doing large £D drawings in Civil.

A laptop which could run this smoothly with a large model and graphics at a decent level will cost you a fortune. Of course, you could turn the settings down but that defeats the purpose if you're buying it especially for CAD.

Laptops also have small screens which are horrible with CAD. 17" 4:3 in college is OK, as is 19" wide at home, but anything smaller than that is painful I think. My dad has a 24" 4:3 in work as far as I know for CAD, and thats not even for 3D work.

Would it be practical to build a computer with a graphics card more suited to CAD?

What is your budget? Do you really need it to be portable? Are you going to college? 3 years of college done and I've yet to require a laptop for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Good advice, CAD laptops can cost a fortune. If you really do need to use it on a laptop I'd get the minimum spec recommended by the software and do any heavy processing on a desktop.

Haven't used AutoCAD in years but some programs are very particular on the graphics cards they require (certified drivers etc.). These are much easier/cheaper to get for a laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 robbiefat

Ya i taught as much thanks for the advice. I
    currently do a lot of work from my laptop and im in need of of an upgrade i think ill just leave work for the office ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Good advice, CAD laptops can cost a fortune. If you really do need to use it on a laptop I'd get the minimum spec recommended by the software and do any heavy processing on a desktop.

Haven't used AutoCAD in years but some programs are very particular on the graphics cards they require (certified drivers etc.). These are much easier/cheaper to get for a desktop.

Corrected post, couldn't edit original.

Advertisement