Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a Java programme to run

Options
  • 21-06-2011 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭

I am a non techie.

How do I get this programme to run on a windows based laptop?
    http://javaanpr.sourceforge.net/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭The Gibmiester

If you have the JRE (Java Runtime Environment) installed you just need to open the .JAR file and it should run.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭fatlog

google "download java" to install a java runtime environment

once thats installed google "runnig jar files". typically you do it from the command line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

I've installed JREbut still haven't a clue how to get it to run.

Is it possible that this is a SDK and not an application? I'm totally lost

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

What steps have you done?

You need to unzip the project and you will see a distrib folder which contains the project jar file already built. Open a terminal window and type "java -version". You should get a prompt telling you what version you have. If not you will need to set up JAVA_HOME. What OS are you running?

If java is ok, then navigate to the distrib folder of the project you downloaded and run the jar file by typing "java -jar NAME_OF_JAR"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

It's pretty slow it seems!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

That's a netbeans project, it needs to be compiled into an executable jar file... Chances are your computer already has the dependencies installed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Op in the archive (javaanpr) there is a folder called "dist". Open this, there is a file called javaanpr (windows says its an executable jar file) Double click this and your program will run (you say your running windows so you probably have a JVM installed). Works fine on my machine, interesting app...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Op in the archive (javaanpr) there is a folder called "dist". Open this, there is a file called javaanpr (windows says its an executable jar file) Double click this and your program will run (you say your running windows so you probably have a JVM installed). Works fine on my machine, interesting app...

Thanks for that, got it to run in a few seconds with your instructions.

Now to go with the camera to take a few pics.

Edit: Just tried it with pics off adverts, not very accurate on Irish number plates.

Advertisement