Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

King Oil Athy

Options
  • 21-06-2011 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭

So.
    it looks like King Oil in Athy will be A Topaz any time soon.
    feel a bit let down.
    First they get rid of the pump attendants, then they stop being one of the cheapest,
    now they will be Topaz.

although, they have been using Topaz fuel for years.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Bobbity

(although, they have been using Topaz fuel for years.)

What makes you say they have been using Topaz fuel?
    As far as I was aware they were an independent and buying fuel where ever they could. I never fuel up there because I was afraid of where the petrol was coming from, I always go up to Texaco further on the Dublin road. I've never had a problem with their fuel, and they are as keenly priced.
    And, a big plus for me, they have forecourt attendants!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

on many occasions I have seen the Topaz truck unloading on the forecourt.
    although they could have been renting the truck or using other fuels aswell as topaz.

I never go to the texaco, personal choice due to info I have heard. i use the new road to dublin now so dont pass it.

I have been using the pertol for a mbike and diesel for car for 5 years now and never had a problem with King Oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Let's debunk the fuel quality myth.

All fuel is refined by a refinery from a range of crude oils found deep underwater.

Most fuel in Ireland is either from whitegate in cork or pembroke in Wales. Doesn't matter if you buy it from topaz, Texaco, Fraser, emo or king oil, its all the same except some companies add some additives when it is being put into company storage facilities.

Your probably right, maxer68. Just a personal thing with me, I guess, to go to a branded filling station.

I never go to the texaco, personal choice due to info I have heard
    Ramerie, just interested in the above statement. Why would you not go there? Is it because they have a foreign manager/staff? I heard a few of people saying that, personally it doesn't bother me, most of their staff have been there for many years and are really friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

nothing to do with the staff.
    i have no problems with any person working.

it is another issue.
    i dont have factual evidence, so i do not want to slander or cause problems.

• Advertisement

Fair point, rameire.
    Is King Oil is really going with topaz, they seemed to have started on the canopy, but didn't finish it. Hard to know whats going on there. Oh well, I'm sure there won't be much change in service. Its a pity really, Texaco further up, only service area family owned and run in Athy now. Unfortunately a sign of the times.

Remember the vast majority of Topaz stations are independently owned.

e.g. The one on the other side of town is owned by Byrnes and both he and his wife work there regularly as does his daughter.

Same with the Maxol station on Carlow road and the texaco station on Monastereving road - all owned by locals.

As for doing the canopy - I'd say the weather has a little bearing on this.

Remember the vast majority of Topaz stations are independently owned.
    I think you will find they are not.

The one on the other side of town is owned by Byrnes and both he and his wife work there regularly as does his daughter.

Same with the Maxol station on Carlow road and the texaco station on Monastereving road - all owned by locals.

I don't want to get into an argument with you, maxer68, but all the above stations are rented, not one of them is owned by the people running them. Conlans are the only family owned/family run in Athy. Do you have something against them, that you are defending the rest?

Bobbity wrote: »

I don't want to get into an argument with you, maxer68, but all the above stations are rented, not one of them is owned by the people running them. Conlans are the only family owned/family run in Athy. Do you have something against them, that you are defending the rest?

Whoooaaaa there

jeez - I haven't mentioned Conlons. I was just giving facts about how fuel stations work. And if truth be known, I personally prefer conlons cos the service there is way above the norm, spotless shop and very mannerly staff. (where do they get the spicy sausages in their breakfast rolls? yum)

As for others leasing - legally a lessee "owns" the station / premises during the term of the lease. The "business" is theirs - the lease is just for the buildings / pumps and nothing else.

So with the exception of Amber which I simply don't know who operates it, all stations in Athy are locally owned businesses, supporting local busines speople and local staff - and to be fair to all of them, consistenly amongst the lowest prices in Ireland.

Fair comment, maxer68. Sorry, I wasn't getting on my high horse.
    Can't comment on on spicy sausages, haven't had a breakfast roll in years.
    I just love the service, it's spotless and of course, the coffee(yum).....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Tengtooltom

King Oil is owned and operated by the King lads from up the road in Rathgrumley or however it is spelled. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

King Oil is owned and operated by the King lads from up the road in Rathgrumley or however it is spelled. Thanks.

Please don't drag up old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement