Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bees swarming in my backgarden

• 21-06-2011 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

There is a nest next door so there must be a new queen. Hope they buzz of soon but what a sight :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Nice pic! :)

As you may know there's nothing more that bees hate than smoke :cool:

Going back about 5 years ago I had this problem out my back garden...

Now the fun/scary part :eek: get a few pieces of news paper, and if you have grass out your garden, light the newspaper with the grass on top of it, the grass wont burn but it does make great smoke!! Place the newspaper as close to the hive as you can before lighting it of course and make sure you have a good bit of grass to cover the flames so you dont burn the flies...

Get a nice big cardboard box (a big cornflakes box should do) and either knock the hive into it or get a garden sheers and cut it down into the box, seal box drive to your nearest local field and open up the box.. put it somewhere like in a hedge or covered up area and hey presto no more bees :D

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

Or you could ring the bee keepers Association in Ireland to see if there are any bee keepers in your area that would sort out your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

dont smoke them out bees are under threat at the moment , at least try and contact bee keepers to help you out .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Any bee keeper will happily take them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Yes, Give a beekeepers a ring, They seem to be very rare around now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I'm fairly sure they will scarper in a day or two as they're too close to the old hive next door. I'v never had any trouble from that hive.
    Scouts are off searching for a fancy gaff for their new 1st lady. I will call the beekeeper association if they hang around too long as it's right by the patio door.

Have been researching and Irish bees are in good health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

The Varoa (sp?) Mite is a mega threat to bees worlwide (along with chemicals changes to agriculure, mono cultures etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 MissHappiness

This happened at home a while back, rang a local beekeeper who came all white suited, big mask on head and all!!! Kids got a great kick out of it!!! He took them away, and also took 2 kittens we had ready for their new homes. He brought his kids with him too, and they fell in love with them!!! He also came back a while later with some "homemade" honey!!! It tasted like the best honey ever, but we were biased!!!! Mam still buys his honey in the market to this day!!

Beekeeper coming to get them 1st thing 2moro. It seems they wouldn't do to well in the wild and he lives close by . Will post photos. Am buzzed :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Good they would be wiped out from Varroa in 2 years ,

• Advertisement

Beekeeper has been and gone and they have been installed in a hive. He's left the hive here for the day and will collect it this evening when they've settled in. Will post the pics later once i compress them. They were not best pleased :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

Sorry to go off a bit on a tangent but when I moved into my house in October there were lots of wasps (i think they were wasps not bees) swarming around a big bush beside my front door.
    My brother was helping me out cutting the bush and said he saw a hive inside it so left it alone.
    I have been dreading the time when they come back out of hibernation.
    I havent seen many wasps around yet but is it that the weather is too cold?

How do I tell if they are wasps or bees? I can tell bumble bees apart but are there bees that are small and skinny?

Would they nest in the same hive year after year?

How do I go about getting rid if its a wasp hive?

Take a basket and knock the bees in

After dumping basket into new hive ,pick off any remaining ones and make sure the queen isn't there and has made it into the new hive.

Put new hive on top of wall so stray bees can climb in and start nesting.

The bees will be picked up tonight and the whole operation took around 5 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Good job Grawns - very responsible of you. Bees are our friends.

Bees gone and only about 4 got left behind. They will buzz on back to the original hive it seems. They seem very easy to manage once you know what you are doing. There was no smoke or anything, he just waited until they went to bed. Fascinating.

Nice one Keith
    http://www.dublinbeekeepingservices.com/index.html

tishandy wrote: »
    Sorry to go off a bit on a tangent but when I moved into my house in October there were lots of wasps (i think they were wasps not bees) swarming around a big bush beside my front door.
    My brother was helping me out cutting the bush and said he saw a hive inside it so left it alone.
    I have been dreading the time when they come back out of hibernation.
    I havent seen many wasps around yet but is it that the weather is too cold?

How do I tell if they are wasps or bees? I can tell bumble bees apart but are there bees that are small and skinny?

Would they nest in the same hive year after year?

How do I go about getting rid if its a wasp hive?

"Abandoned nests disintegrate overtime, but are not used again. In the spring, the cycle is repeated."

Lots of info here

Advertisement